Depo shot + gaining weight= myth

Replies

• beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    It does cause weight gain for some people, just because it didn't for you doesn't meat it won't for everyone. We are all different.

Well said :)
  • I'm currently on it and I've lost two pounds with it. :)
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    This is true. My sister didn't gain weight at all and I took it for 6 months and packed on 60 lbs like the other person did. I was always in a hormonal rollercoaster and I blame this medication for my husband and I separating, everything cleared up when I stopped taking it and our relationship could not be better. My OBGYN told my husband, "Sorry for injecting her with witch juice" replace the W with a B.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I am sick and tired of people blaming their birth control for their weight gain. "I was on birth control and I gained Xlbs"

birth control does NOT cause you to gain weight.
  • I am sick and tired of people blaming their birth control for their weight gain. "I was on birth control and I gained Xlbs"

AGREED. It INCREASES your appetite to make you want food more, but you don't have to eat it just because you want it
    Workout and stay within a healthy calories deficit and you won't gain weight.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    It does depend on your body. Spome people get very lucky and never gain any weight from it or not much. I was 13 and decided to get on depo for skin problems, period problems etc. Before I ever started on depo I was 117 lbs. The first shot I gained 50 lbs. The second shot I gained another 20 then the third shot I got I gained another 10. Thats an 80 lb weight gain in a year. I decided to stop taking depo after that. I lost the weight slowly and got back down to my previous weight. If that weight gain wasn't due to depo then call me Mary Poppins.
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    I don't know about you but gaining 60 lbs in 6 months is not normal. Yes the cravings were there but I never "pigged out" and as soon as I saw the first 10 lbs come on I really watched what I was eating.. it didn't matter. I kept gaining, I even went for the 2nd round and took the shot again trying to give it the benefit of the doubt.. nope, i just packed on some more weight.

I think the depo works in two ways, changes stuff so you don't get pregnant and you can't get pregnant if you don't want to have sex..ever.. like EVER... EEEVVEEEERRRRR!! Takes the sexy right out of ya..it did for me anyway.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    "Hormonal birth control is often associated with weight gain. According to the Mayo Clinic,*** however; hormonal birth control doesn't actually cause weight gain. Instead, it causes you to temporarily retain water, which makes you feel like you've gained weight. It can also increase appetite in some women, which leads to weight gain, but this isn't true for all women.*** The University of Illinois McKinley Health Center reports that women gain an average of 3.5 pounds within the first year of using the Depo Provera shot and eight pounds total after the second year. Although some women do gain weight on the shot, it doesn't have to be the case for you. With a few tweaks of your daily routine, you can lose weight on the Depo shot."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/99811-lose-weight-depo-shot/#ixzz2Rc6Ux0Vq
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    " It can also INCREASE APPETITE in some women, WHICH LEADS to weight gain, but this isn't true for all women.*** it doesn't have to be the case for you. With a few tweaks of your daily routine, you can lose weight on the Depo shot."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/99811-lose-weight-depo-shot/#ixzz2Rc6Ux0Vq
    :drinker: Cheers well put
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    The Depo shot aggravated my PCOS, which in turn did not help my metabolism issues and I did gain around 40-50 lbs when I went on it at the age of 19. I think birth control affects everyone differently.
  • I am sick and tired of people blaming their birth control for their weight gain. "I was on birth control and I gained Xlbs"

I think it's quite sad that one woman can be so judgemental about another woman's experiences. Your experience is not the same as another woman's. I don't use birth control any more because I have had really horrible experiences with birth control and weight and / or mood swings. It is not for you to judge me or the millions of other women that have struggled with the side effects of birth control... it is NOT one size fits.

A real shame that women can't be a bit more supportive of each other.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,763 Member
    I loved being on depo - I had no side effects and thought not having a period was the best thing ever. I was warned about weight gain but easily lost weight. However my doc took me off it after four years saying that's the maximum amount of time you should be on it as it decreases your bone density. Fortunately I was wanting to get pregnant so it didn't bother me. Having a period again though is a hassle (and expensive).
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    I'm on the pill (loestrine) and I was one of those that blamed the pill for the weight gain. What I SHOULD have done was blamed my DIET. I told my doctor who refered me to a nutritionist , who then told me to change my diet. Lol.. So that being said I owe an apology to my pills.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    It made me gain weight when i was younger. 20 lbs. Everyone has different reactions.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    I had terrible experiences with Depo. I gained over 100 pounds the year I was on it. I can't blame it entirely because I was for sure eating/ drinking way more than I should have been, but I feel i would not have gained the weight without the shot.

It also made my TOM go INSANE for that entire year.

If I did it again I think I would not gain the weight if I was logging calories. Back when I was on it, I had no idea how to live healthily and would just eat whenever I wanted and whatever I was craving. (THIS is what I blame the Depo for. :laugh: )
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Be aware of long term Depo Provera use....it can cause osteoporosis. There is a black box warning on the product. Plan on taking it for no more than three years. My insurance company contacted me and told me about the warning, after I had taken it for about 5 years longer than the limit. The damage was already done. Be careful.....

And you are correct. It is a MYTH that Depo and birth control pills cause weight.
  • kandys
    kandys Posts: 1
    I agree that you have to watch what you eat while you're on it, but I totally disagree that BC doesn't affect your metabolism. The BC pill I was on after I had my first child almost 13 years ago sped up my metabolism because I lost 50 in the 3 months I took it not even trying. I didn't change my diet, and didn't exercise at all.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    I gained a few pounds, but a fairly insignificant amount. My issue was it didn't stop my periods...it mad me bleed for a straight 9 months. It took two different types of pills after I stopped it to get me back on track. Arg. It's not all sunshine and roses for everyone. Too bad. I had high hopes.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    it doesn't make you gain weight, but it makes you want to eat ALL THE TIME! It's hard when I finish a 600cal meal and know I'm full but still feel hungry. A strange, horrible feeling. I was off contraception for 2 months and now that I'm back on I can really tell a difference.

Don't start me on the bloating... I'm avoiding gluten as much as possible and no alcohol, yet the bloat has RETURNED! *rages*
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    I was on Depo when I was in my early 20s, I gained 40 pounds in a fairly short amount and I did NOT eat more or exercise less. The only new thing was the Depo. It messed my body up completely, took me over a year to get my cycle back and I only took 2 Depo shots before I quit taking them. I never had trouble with my weight before that. NOt saying Depo is some evil fat inducing drug for everyone, just some people gain and some don't, like previous posters said, every body is different. I expereinced the same effect with Mirena IUD. Still in me now and I'm having to fight tooth and nail to lose, I'm doing it, but so painfully slow.