Options
    lmao... I almost was too
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    old
  • family_girl2626
    Options
    Because it isn't for preparation of surgery and just to lose weight (quickly) I would suggest a second opinion. If this Dr isn't listening to your requests like seeing a dietitian you do have options. Good luck with your problem.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's that age old battle of Dr's Vs Dieticians/ nutritionist

If you want to lose 90lbs of weight do the 1000 cals [strong]but[/strong] know that weight is made up of fat, water, muscle and bone.

If you want to do it the healthy way that is sustainable for the rest of your life then eat your TDEE - a 30% deficit (normally suggest 20 but as you have a higher no of lbs to lose 30 is good) this is slower but you will lsoe fat and inches while keeping more muscle mass than crash dieting.

We want to create a maintainable healthy lifestyle not yoyo diet by ruining our metabolism as when you lose the weight youll go back to eating normally and probably regain it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937709-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Give that link a read if you still don't feel confident to do it yourself seek out a Dietician/ nutritionist.

Losing weight = a smaller you
    Losing fat = change in body composition.

I eat 2400 calories a day which is still a deficit of my TDEE and im losing FAT and inches but maintaining/ gaining muscle and strength. I have bags of energy and am much happier than when i was told it a restricted diet yeah i'm careful what i eat but so long as im below my calories and get my Protein, fat and carb intake correct doesn't matter what i eat.

What i'm doing now i know i can continue without worrying about gaining the weight back once in maintenance mode,

Good luck and remember do what's best for you and you know you can sustain everyone has an opinion it deosnt make them 100% right even DR's
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OMG...old thread alert, bumped by a newbie lol

damn, sucked in! lol

I got sucked in, I wonder how she's doing/ what she ended up following?
  • mombieocalypse
    Options

I am confused by this. I am somewhat new and watched someone torn apart the other day for bringing up a topic and posters said she was suppose to search it out first. So which is it? :wink:
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Either way, it's funny to watch people freak the eff out about it. My doctor has me on 800/day right now. A minimum of 50-70 grams/protein a day, low carb. I'm a nurse and I know the calories may sound ridiculous. I actually am feeling better than I have in a while.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I do about 1100 a day.. u can follow my journal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I also have to go on a 1000 Diet. I was wondering. How are you managing now that you have lost the weight. I would love to see your diary of meals he help me. My medical issues will ease up if I can stick to a strick regiment. Can you add me?

Last time the OP was active in the forums was November. Better to start your own thread rather than bumping old ones, your post is likely to get lost.

I'd recommend asking for a referral to a dietician. Not a nutritionist. Dieticians have to meet more rigorous standards.
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

Hmm if nothing else the pretending to now hear you voice that you would like to see a nutritionist is a little scary. If you are concerned I would try asking him again. Good luck, and don't worry, everyone who is telling you not to do it is just worried about your safety and are not trying to attack you, we just want everyone to be safe :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Ignore the people that lecture you about how your not g enough calories...1000 calories a day is just fine as long as your getting your vitamins..as if they know more than a doctor or something...its a recurring theme their lectures..i eat 900 maxx & work out so end up with like 600 even 500 & its working

Your posts state you do this for a month, lose 20lbs and then gain it all back, then go mental at the weekend eating jars of Nutella. OP make sustainable lifestyle changes. That's the way to get the weight off and keep it off. Personally I'd seek a second opinion, as this isn't for a specific health problem. Get advice from a nutritionist. I've had the odd 1200 day recently for reasons I won't go into, but have wanted to gnaw my arm off the day after. I eat 1400-1600 with very moderate carbs. My diary is open if you'd like a look.

I'm not saying my way is the right way, for everyone but I know this for the above poster 600-700 calories per day for a man is just not adequate. No wonder your going through the lose and gain cycle. Sorry for getting on my high horse but annoys me when people post terrible advice like that!

I'm guessing your a troll and I'm giving you what you wanted, but I don't want someone to take what you said as good advice!

Zara
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    those of you who suggest getting a new doctor.. are you aware that patients pre- and post- bariatric surgery are put on extremely restrictive diets? Now of course, I have no idea if that is the case with the OP but, you never know what the story is.

Whatever the reason for the 1000 cal eating plan, suggesting it and not giving meal suggestions that allow the patient to follow it without deficiency makes them a bad doctor.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms has salad dressings that are calorie free that are really good. I really like the raspberry vinagrette. You can add fish or chicken to all the vegetables you want for a low calorie salad.
  • hollymartin90
    hollymartin90 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm having a hard time finding meals to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions

i try to stay within 1000-1200 cals a day (depending how active I am)
    typical meals :salmon or quorn fillet with broccoli (im a pescetarian) or small portion veggie bolognese with pasta for dinner
    tuna salad for lunch and couple slices toast at breakfast
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here is how you do that - Eat 1500 calories for the day and then burn 500 calories with exercise!

This is what I would do if my doctor told me to only eat 1000 calories--I would make sure that it's 1000 NET calories!
  • Jo1862
    Jo1862 Posts: 1
    Options
    For YEARS doctors have recommended 1000 calories a day for those who are dieting, and still do in most cases. The reason most people condemn this is because most people can't do it. As Tarek stated above, as long as you are getting your vitamins, protein, fiber, carbs, etc., you're fine.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not advising you what to do, but since you've already lost 72 pounds, I would just keep on doing what I'm doing to lose weight. Would he even know the difference?