easier or harder to drop the last 10 lbs?

kalebsmama07
kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
easier or harder to drop the last 10 lbs? what do you think or what have you experienced?

Replies

• kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Harder!!! Only because I think that I personally get a bit comfortable with where I am and think it's only 10 pounds and do not work as hard. I am extremely motivated this time though so I don't think the last 10 will be as hard.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Much MUCH harder to lose the last because your body absolutely does not want to get rid of it in case it needs it. First 30lb was pretty easy, the last 10 was a real struggle BUT well worth it as it does make a BIG difference :laugh:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    HARDER!!!! The mental game of the whole thing starts getting to me, the body doesn't want to let it go as easily, etc... So worth it in the end, though!
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    very hard and frustrating, because you have gotten this far and just want it to get there already!!! :laugh:
  • CarolJW
    CarolJW Posts: 8 Member
    The hardest!
  • I started with under twenty to lose and lost four pretty quickly. The rest is taking FOREVER. I asked my doctor what the hold up was and he said, keep up all the healthy choices and work out and the weight WILL eventually come off. Bleh! But, yeah. it's my experience that the last ten (or so) is pretty slow going.
  • WAY HARDER! Cuz once you hit ur plateau weight (10 pounds left usually) ur body is already used to ur exercises, etc. If you are trying to lose the last ten pounds that means its time to amp up ur workout routine and its time for a major sweat fest.
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Theoretically should be a lot harder, I pulled my calf muscle and switched to weights and strength exercises for a while and I actually sailed through it without the plateau. I doubt it would have been as easy if i was still just doing the cardio.

Then again, my target weight was fairly arbitrary and not that scientific ( i chose 150 then a revised 140) and my body maybe didnt think that the initial figure was too tight so allowed me to lose more without digging its heels in :smile:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Definitely harder! I've been working on the last 5 lbs...it seems like FOREVER but slow and steady wins the race. :flowerforyou:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    I'd say it's very challenging to drop the last 15. Your body is sort of in "comfy" mode and you've really got to push to get it out of it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    It's harder to lose the weight, but it's more comfortable too, if that makes any sense.

Harder because your body does not want to let go of that extra stuff. Think about it this way - if you're really big and you're carrying 100 lbs of fat like I was when I started out, then losing 10 pounds is losing 10% of your fat. No problem. Today I'm more like 12% bodyfat, so I'm still carrying 25 pounds or so. So so lose another 10 - my body has to give up 40% of my BF. From a 'famine preparedness' standpoint that's just crazy, your bod does not want to give that up.

OTOH - losing the first 10 was hard 'cause it was all new, lots of bad habits to break, and I was miserable and ashamed because of the shape I was in. Today the good habits are there, I feel like a million bux, and I'm proud of my body just the way I am.

Progressing from "Really big" to "Big" is hard. Progressing from "Trim" to "Underwear model trim" is a whole different game. :smile:
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    I've been working on the last 10 since February, 2010. It's the hardest thing I have ever done, but well worth it!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    The less you have to lose the harder it is to lose it.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Well, when I started here at about 137, I thought I only had about 12 lbs to lose. Those pounds have come off fairly easily at the rate of about 1 lb/week and I just hit 125.2 this morning.

However, now that I am here, I still think I could lose another 10 to really be as lean as I would like. So, I am probably just getting into the dreaded "last 10" territory now. I don't expect it to be easy.
  • Much harder! It took me a little over a month to drop 8lbs, which I thought was pretty good! However, getting down to 135 (my next major goal) and then down to 125 (my final goal) will take much longer. I'll be surprised if I can do it by the end of the year!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,029 Member
    It's harder. I cruised along averaging a pound a week for months, and now I've been at basically the same weight for the last two months (6 to 8 pounds from my goal weight). I'm working just as hard as I was before. I'm not discouraged, though (at least not too much). I know I'm so much healthier than I was when I started this journey, and that is my biggest motivator!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    harder i have been trying to lose my last post pregnancy weight(10 lbs) and ive gained about 5 so now im trying to lose 15 lbs, its just really to hard.
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    I am finding it is much harder! I agree with those that have said it is a mental game. I find myself thinking, it's only 10 lbs I can do this, but then give in to more tempations because "I've already come so far". I also find that I am burning less calories with my workouts than I once was.
This discussion has been closed.