Embarrassing Question.....about fat!!

Options
Hey all

I have an embarrassing question, but I really need some advice on the subject. I have.....oh god...the dreaded back fat...I am losing weight consistantly...but I REALLLY want to get rid of it. Does anyone know how to get rid of it outside of lipo....LOL

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. You can't just lose fat in one place. I wish you could...my belly would be gone
  • bjenegiles
    bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LOL...Well, I'm working on that part. I am doing pretty good BUT...I ws wondering whether there is a specific exercise that would help it along...
  • victoriavvi
    victoriavvi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I heard like weight training on areas that work the back muscles help. =)
  • Matterafun
    Matterafun Posts: 83
    Options
    That's a tricky one. Have you tried strength training exercises? There are some designed specifically that target that part of the back. Of course, in strength training, if you're working your back muscles, you also need to work your chest muscles as well. I really like Cathe's Muscle Max dvd workout. Also, I've found that kickboxing with a heavy bag really helps to burn fat all over.

Also, one thing I heard lately is that back fat can be zapped by simply wearing the right bra. Apparently most of the bras we wear sit up too high around the rib cage and contribute to the look of back fat, whether we actually have back fat or not. Try to find a bra that sits down lower and has a wider band and thus, reduces the look of back fat.

Best wishes!
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Lose weight. You can't just lose fat in one place. I wish you could...my belly would be gone

Mine too, and my boobs would still be around.. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've lost quite a few inches round my back, sides and stomach area by doing hula hoop on the Wii and some salsa type dancing (via DVD's). Anything that gets your hips moving and isolate your core should help. But of course, true fat loss comes from good old cardio.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Weight training-wise:

Lying row - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBLyingRow.html

Lat pulldown - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBFrontPulldown.html (you can also do this with resistance bands attached to a doorway - http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/backexercises_8.htm) The lat pulldown is also a great alternate to doing pull-ups.

Bent over row - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

Chest fly - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBFly.html

Push-ups, planks, sit-ups, and anything that challenges the core.

You're looking to do a couple things - focus on your upper body and core. You'll begin to notice a more defined upper body (shoulders, back) and a more nipped in waist.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Agreed - I've read that exercises "targeting" certain areas for fat loss is a myth. Lose weight and the fact will come off where it comes off. Muscle tone is great but you can't see it if the fat is still there.

Good luck.
  • naythemrs
    naythemrs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is a good question... I have lots of back fat to the point I can't really wear a tight tshirt without some kind of waist cincher to "smooth it out". I will try the exercises mentioned. I noticed that when I gain weight my boobs get bigger and this INCREASES the back fat. I also notice when I work out on a regular basis the boobs shrink and so does the back fat. Hopefully more people respond. I wish I could see a before and after pic of a willing participant ;)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I've read that exercises "targeting" certain areas for fat loss is a myth. Lose weight and the fact will come off where it comes off. Muscle tone is great but you can't see it if the fat is still there.
    Yup yup. That's how it is. Sorry.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The bra really does make a huge difference in how bad the back fat looks.My back looks so much better when there is no bra but the girls up front need the support ; )
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky one. Have you tried strength training exercises? There are some designed specifically that target that part of the back. Of course, in strength training, if you're working your back muscles, you also need to work your chest muscles as well. I really like Cathe's Muscle Max dvd workout. Also, I've found that kickboxing with a heavy bag really helps to burn fat all over.

Also, one thing I heard lately is that back fat can be zapped by simply wearing the right bra. Apparently most of the bras we wear sit up too high around the rib cage and contribute to the look of back fat, whether we actually have back fat or not. Try to find a bra that sits down lower and has a wider band and thus, reduces the look of back fat.

Best wishes!

The Today Show had a segment on "the right bra" yesterday. The used back fat as one of the examples. What a difference the right bra makes. I suggest a professional bra fitting. It will do wonders for the front and back:wink:
  • PattieD
    PattieD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Row, row, row!!! A couple of years ago when I was losing weight, I hated riding a stationary bike because it was uncomfortable with a belly, so I got on the rowing machine. I could row away for a long time, it wasn't too tough and I really enjoyed it. Much to my surprise the biggest benefit was getting a toned back! No more rolls above, in the middle of, and below my bra straps! I never expected it, but I was a happy, happy camper!