Any bike riding success stories

Options

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have been a serious recreational rider for about 10 years. My passion is hills. I compete in the Mount Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hill Climb in New Hampshire. With the assistance of a trainer and MFP, I shed 15 pounds and took 12 minutes of my best time last year. Cycling is great not only for fitness but well being and stress reduction. Keep on pedaling!

I will! You ROCK, period...especially that hills are your passion--WOW!
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike and starting riding slowly last year. I've lost 35 pounds from lowering my calorie intake, and ONLY biking outside. I seriously HATE any other form of exercise. It's the only thing I will do, aside from canoeing/kayaking. I love being outside and the bike makes me feel so free :)

I started super, super slow. A couple of measly miles per day until I built up my stamina. The most I've biked in a single ride was 31 miles..Not shabby for someone who hates working out, haha. I can't wait to beat it when the weather stops raining here.

I would recommend getting a speedometer for your bike. It's a challenge always wanting to beat your previous miles!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I lost my first 50ish pounds by counting cals, mountain biking on the weekends and riding my bike to and from work most days (about 12 miles round trip.)

Bam! Love this--you ROCK!
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I started cycling last summer, borrowing my mother in laws bike (which I am still using) as i wanted something more challenging than walking. I had lost 40ish lbs by that point. I hadn't cycled in about 15 years at that point and could do a mile on the flat as long as i stopped part way.

This year i started working full time (instead of part time) and moved to a further away office. I cycle to work, 16 mile round trip, 5 days a week. I have a sedentary job and find this the easiest way to fit in exercise while working. I enjoy it as well as its a nice route, although very hilly.

I also sometimes cycle in the evening/on the weekend to get places (we don't have a car).if i go to the shops i use a hiking backpack to carry shopping, you have to be careful balancing with it on though. I also have a child seat for my 2 year old. We are just waiting for my 8 year old to grow into his bigger bike so i can go out with both kids.

My fitness has definitely improved as has my shape. It means I can eat more. I find exercise important for keeping my mood stable/good for my mental health. I also find i need it when I am sitting on my *kitten* all day.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've been riding every weekend since Jan 20th. Cycling 20 to 100 miles per weekend + watching/monitoring what I eat + 1 to 2 exercise classes per week has brought about a lot of weight success. (NOTICE I SAID COMBINING). This also brought great success when I participated in the 180 mile (2 day) ride from Houston to Austin (MS 150)

Super woooooooooW! 20-100 miles per weekend, that's her0/shero stuff. :drinker: :drinker: :love: :drinker: :drinker:

I'll be taking it turtle-like for the next few weeks and/or until it doesn't feel like my heart is about to bust outta my chest and/or I'm sweating like I stole something---it's going to take me sometime to get to 5 miles I'm thinking--slow but steady wins the race. I'm DETERMINED to ride everyday though for at least 30 minutes each day until I work my way up!
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I got a tricycle April 4th as I am physically disabled and doubted I would be able to ride a bike at this time. My first ride was .33 of a mile in 30 minutes. I was breathing so hard and my heart was beating so fast I thought I was going to die. This afternoon I biked 3 miles in 45 minutes and it felt fantastic. Since biking I have lost 5 pounds, but certainly hope this trike will help me to eliminate another 148 pounds.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I got a tricycle April 4th as I am physically disabled and doubted I would be able to ride a bike at this time. My first ride was .33 of a mile in 30 minutes. I was breathing so hard and my heart was beating so fast I thought I was going to die. This afternoon I biked 3 miles in 45 minutes and it felt fantastic. Since biking I have lost 5 pounds, but certainly hope this trike will help me to eliminate another 148 pounds.

You're my SHERO! I love that you've posted this! Yesterday's biking is much better than the first two days, still huffing and puffing like I was riding to save my life, but I didn't walk the bike as much and I did conquer some of the hills I couldn't for the first two days. I felt bad, breathing to hard and sweating. My nice slim and trim super healthy daughters said, they too breathe hard and their hearts beat super fast too...that made me feel much better (misery LOVES company dontcha know:wink: ) Again, THANK YOU so much for posting!!!
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You're my SHERO! I love that you've posted this! Yesterday's biking is much better than the first two days, still huffing and puffing like I was riding to save my life, but I didn't walk the bike as much and I did conquer some of the hills I couldn't for the first two days. I felt bad, breathing to hard and sweating. My nice slim and trim super healthy daughters said, they too breathe hard and their hearts beat super fast too...that made me feel much better (misery LOVES company dontcha know:wink: ) Again, THANK YOU so much for posting!!!

AWW thanks so much but a SHERO! I think not, just doing what I have to get healthy. That is great that yesterday's ride was better than the first 2 days. Trust me when I say each day will get easier and easier. The first time I did the 1 1/2 miles of my subdivision in 15 minutes instead of 30 I was so surprised and happy I did a little seat dance. Yes, your daughter is correct- we all breath heavy and sweat. Just stay focused and keep breathing and sweating you can do it. I am heading off to the gym now and later this evening will do a trike ride. Have a great day.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Yea. my success story is that I only broke a rib crashing last weekend insead of killng myself.

:cry: OUCH--OWWWWWWWWWWWCH :cry:

Ya know...I'm always sure to wear my headgear....bike riding can like any other sport/exercise be potentially dangerous. Thanks for posting this. I always tell my boyfriend/hubby to "ride safe" when he rides his motorcycle--I'll tell this to myself and my children as we ride our bikes!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about that Lance Armstrong guy? So inspirational.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I ride my stationary bike quite often in my battle of the bulge. But this thread is about outside bike riding. I have a bike and used to ride it regularly with the family. I haven't rode my bike outside in some years, and I'm going to start TODAY to ride at least 30 minutes per day.

That made me wonder if anyone has any bike riding success stories. I know quite a few people who have lost the weight/reached their goal just by walking. I'd love to hear if/how riding your bike daily helped you in your battle of the bulge!

How often do you ride?

How much did you lose riding?

Any advice, please do share!

I lost the vast majority of my weight ( around 80 lbs) in about 8 months with loss and lots of daily cycling..the real thing, not a stationary bike. Bear in mind, i also ate at a calorie deficit which was stupid..1,200 calories a day. If I could go back in time and apply what I know now, I would have eaten a LOT more.

I'd cycle around 90 minutes a day and 2-3 hours each day in the weekends. I should still do more of it, but I have got into running now.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Have you heard about that Lance Armstrong guy? So inspirational.

This guy is an inspiration to me...

I Lost 320 Pounds Riding a Bike... Scott Cutshall was so fat doctors told him he'd die within six months. Then he looked out his window and saw a man riding a bicycle

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike?page=0,0
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've lost about 100 pounds by riding a bike and monitoring my caloric intake. (Some of it was before I started tracking here, so my ticker doesn't reflect it) I started out after an injury struggling to get five minutes in without dying. Now I will be riding in a metric century (63 miles) in a few weeks. Stick with it, it's great therapy.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :love: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've lost my weight from a lot of different things, but when the weather is nice I bike every day to the campus or to where my studio is at. So a total of 30--70 min a day. It can be brutal with the hills and strong winds we have here, but it does get easier. :) The best part is now when I bike I can totally notice a difference in how much quicker I can go.

I think what saved my legs the most was learning how to shift before hitting a hill so that I didn't get winded going up it.

Yes!!!!! Also, I appreciate your posting about shifting BEFORE hitting hills. I'm going to have to learn that, because it seems my changing gears during hills doesn't work. I'll have to practice that for sure!
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The other thing about shifting is don't do it under tension from pedalling. It will throw the chain.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    The other thing about shifting is don't do it under tension from pedalling. It will throw the chain.

DONE! I'll start practicing this today!
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I put in 10 miles almost every day and on Sundays my husband, brother and I ride 22 miles. I have lost 35 lbs since mid February and my brother has lost over 130 lbs since Oct 2012. He is more strict with his diet then I am ;) When I first started I could only ride 3 miles and I was super tired. Keep riding!!
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    My wife and I purchased some nice bikes last spring. We ride together for about an hour several nights a week as part of our individual workouts. Its something we can do together without the obvious differences in our athletic abilities coming out too strong. I really value that time with her.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I put in 10 miles almost every day and on Sundays my husband, brother and I ride 22 miles. I have lost 35 lbs since mid February and my brother has lost over 130 lbs since Oct 2012. He is more strict with his diet then I am ;) When I first started I could only ride 3 miles and I was super tired. Keep riding!!

Doesn't your butt hurt?
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Doesn't your butt hurt?

You better believe it... But, it gets better with time. The moment you jump on that bike and ur butt touches the seat you want to automatically jump off but the pain isn't so bad after the first few minutes. The pain is now just a little discomfort but its totally worth it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!