Any Morbily Obese people doing Insanity?

Options
I'm 250 pounds at almost 5'4 and im really interested in doing insanity, even though my stamina isn't very high. I can do like 10 minutes on the elliptical at most, but I really like how he says on the video its not about how much you do, just give 100 percent of what you can. My question is are there any people who did insanity when they were morbidly obese or just plain out of shape? If so, how long did it take you before you could actually feel like you were keeping up with the "beginners" on the tape?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    From what I've read I'd say dont do it yet. It's very tough on joints. You can do something gentler and do insanity later
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From what I've read I'd say dont do it yet. It's very tough on joints. You can do something gentler and do insanity later
    x2

Of course he says that in his promo to get people to buy the system... the guy who started Zumba says the same thing. If you're only able to do 10 minutes on the elliptical, I'd keep working on pushing yourself with that. Like the previous poster said, it's very high impact -- you're more likely to injure yourself than make positive progress with insanity.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    thanks for the honest advice! that what I actually was going to try to do was get my stamina up a lot more before I tried, and drop about 40 pounds first because I have knee problems that my weight now would def cause injury to
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I honestly am afraid of insanity STILL LOL -

I have the Zumba disk set...they have different levels to work your way up..try that to get your stamina up oh and Hip hop abs...I mix this in as well. I started simply treadmill - to light jog then jumped into Zumba...tried 30 day shred which trashed my body. Until I have more strength and stamina I am sticking to Zumba and HHA :)

They are both fun - easy on your body while giving you an effective work out and building your strength / stamina :)

Regardless of what you choose - listen to your body!! Home work outs can cause injury if you do not (trust me I am famous for it!) Work at your own pace...you will get there!

Good luck!
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tried Insanity at 240 it was way too tough, but I tried again at 215 and completed all 9 weeks! I did 30DS, Kickbox FastFix and some running in between in order to build my way up to Insanity.
  • sjo68
    sjo68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did it at 5'2" and 230. Yes its was hard (its suppose to be hard). Yes at first I had to modify some of the exercises (especially the jumping stuff and push up exercises). Yes at the end of the 9 weeks I was still obese. BUT at the end of the 9 weeks, I could do all of the exercises (maybe not as fast as some of the people in the video) and I could crank out 40+ push ups in a row with no stopping. So, if you are willing to modify a bit at the beginning, and stop if anything doesn't feel right or starts to hurt then I say give it a try. Oh and I am doing it again and am on week 3.
  • wtffirefighter71
    wtffirefighter71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ive been a beachbody coach for a few weeks now and I love it. If your arelooking for someone to help you through your journey please contact me. Hope to hear from you soon. I'm also doing insanity
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There are so many great exercise DVDs for beginners. Go to Collage Video's site and look around. You can search by level (beginner, intermediate, advanced) And by impact (low, high) And find something much more appropriate and enjoyable for your current level of fitness.
  • GetFitWilliams
    GetFitWilliams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did it at 5'2" and 230. Yes its was hard (its suppose to be hard). Yes at first I had to modify some of the exercises (especially the jumping stuff and push up exercises). Yes at the end of the 9 weeks I was still obese. BUT at the end of the 9 weeks, I could do all of the exercises (maybe not as fast as some of the people in the video) and I could crank out 40+ push ups in a row with no stopping. So, if you are willing to modify a bit at the beginning, and stop if anything doesn't feel right or starts to hurt then I say give it a try. Oh and I am doing it again and am on week 3.

How much weight did u lose when u completed all 9 weeks? I have only completed 4 weeks and the results was much more than I had expected. Of course I didn't finish.... But I am starting again and its true, some the exercises I do have to modify but not to the point where I am not doing much. It's tough but I am so determined to complete it this time.
  • sjo68
    sjo68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

How much weight did u lose when u completed all 9 weeks? I have only completed 4 weeks and the results was much more than I had expected. Of course I didn't finish.... But I am starting again and its true, some the exercises I do have to modify but not to the point where I am not doing much. It's tough but I am so determined to complete it this time.

I lost 47 pounds.
  • I am 5,2" and 250Ibs. I have just started Insanity and im on day 3. Wow it is hard and I am having to modify especially on the push ups. But I am aching all over and have done since day 1 so I am hoping that will wear off soon!! Id say give it a try. If I can anyone can!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I am 5,2" and 250Ibs. I have just started Insanity and im on day 3. Wow it is hard and I am having to modify especially on the push ups. But I am aching all over and have done since day 1 so I am hoping that will wear off soon!! Id say give it a try. If I can anyone can!!
    I hope you take this the right way but three days isn't very long. It might take longer than that to effect your joints. I think OP should do something gentler first and do Insanity some time in the future.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my friend at work definitely was doing it while morbidly obese (she is in her mid-twenties), and she has lost a lot of weight, she is doing so good with the exercise and most of the time with her eating plan too (Christmas put 15 pounds on her, but she is back on track)- I put on ten pounds over christmas, but my fitness level is so pathetic I would never try it, I mean I can't even get through beginner zumba
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would do easy stuff like a brisk walk every day for starters. Save the *cool* stuff for later when you get bored. Whatever keeps you active is the right answer. Good luck and keep at it!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    that is my problem too, my knees and ankles are so bad from carrying me around all this time, I get hurt all the time, twist a knee (even in bed sleeping at night sometimes)
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity with normal weight and it was hell! 30 DS or simply walking is better choice for this moment. Insanity has practicly no moderation for obese/unfit and Shaun is constantly chanting to take care of proper form and be extra careful about joints.
  • fitdad0987
    Options
    Yeah, don't think about doing insanity. It is terrible for your joints, and you really need to have a strong fitness base before starting something so aggressive. I know several people who have tried it, and have gotten injured. If you can swing it, look into joining a gym or pool and start with water aerobics or simply walking. Start small and build up but be consistent. There is no quick solution so just stick with it. If you can swing getting a personal trainer for at least a few sessions, that'd also be great. He/She will learn about your fitness needs and then pick exercises that you can do, and then re-evaluate you along the road. The people who do Insanity got that way by years and years of hard work, not in 60 days. Its just BS.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This question comes up a lot. I've even answered it a half dozen times.

All I can do is tell you my not-uninformed perspective.

I first did Insanity at a well-muscled 6'4" 295 lbs. It is entirely possible to do, especially if you're careful about your form and how you land. I've done it over twice more since then. It is a kick-*kitten* workout. I attribute my ability to work out hard NOW to Insanity, even though I'm not currently doing the program.

However Insanity is NOT a weight loss program. It is a VERY INTENSE cardio conditioning program.

The critical difference is you WILL be stopping and taking breaks...so many breaks that it becomes detrimental to your caloric burn. Because if you are at the 10 minute elliptical stage, you won't be able to do Insanity without stopping a LOT. There's no shame in that, either, it's friggen HARD. It's as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one, it will push you to the point where you want to weep. :)

Remember that Insanity was designed for people ALREADY IN GOOD SHAPE to improve their cardio capacity. Regardless of the fact that they pedal it on late night TV to try and sell it as the next greatest thing in fat loss, it's primary focus is on improving your heart and lung capacity rather than burning the most amount of calories, or burning fat, or building strength and muscle.

Insanity has given me tremendous fitness and endurance. Yes, I did drop around 20lbs in 2 months but that was incidental (and a little disappointing, tbh) .You could argue that I can now leverage that fitness into fat loss by working harder for longer periods of time, and you'd be completely right.

But if your goal is to drop fat, an intense cardio conditioning program is not optimal.

If your goal is to be able to say you've done "the hardest workout ever put on DVD", or earn one of the coveted "I Earned It" Insanity T-shirts (this was MY goal), or you want to invest some time up front in building up your capacity for hard exercise, you CAN make it work.

I'd say honestly evaluate what you want from your exercise and decide from there.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yes, Insanity is pretty tough. It can also be tough on your joints.......especially if you're going full speed like the people on the videos. On the other hand, if you modify and take breaks when needed, you'll find your strength and endurance improving.

I've got a bad left knee. In my first go at Insanity, my knee was hating me. After pushing through, with modifications and breaks, I found that the recovery time for my knee became shorter and shorter. I find that exercise, with Insanity among other programs, has helped keep my knee loose to the point that if I take too much time off of exercising, my knee gets stiff from a lack of activity.

You have to know your own body. If you go into Insanity trying to keep up with Shaun T and his crew, you're going to fail.......period.
    On the other hand, if you work on using good form, modifying and taking breaks when necessary, you'll find that your speed and endurance will come along and you will succeed.
  • jwtw2005
    Options
    i don't think im morbidly obese im 5'5 and at 207 atm, I started doing insanity a week ago, its hard but it makes my body feel good, I take breaks when I need, I burn almost 500 calories each day. I am determined to get back to the 130lbs I once was