Eating before a workout

Junisahn
Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I get up around5:30ish to take a jog before my husband has to go to work so he can watch the baby (well, they are both asleep). I just started this exercise, and I'm no speed demon, but get a good workout - I jog 3.5 miles in just under 40 minutes on trails. Because my time is limited and also because I can't stand to eat first thing after waking up, I don't eat anything before my jog. Afterwards, I don't eat either - just not hungry. I usually eat my breakfast around 9am.

Would I burn more calories or make my metabolism more efficient if I ate before or right after my jog? Or does it really not matter?

Thanks,
Wendy

Replies

• jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    I usually have something very light (low fat yogurt, protein shake, cereal bar, etc) just to give me a bit of energy before I work out. I drink LOTS of water when I am finished, so I am not that hungry right away. I know that on the exercise DVDs that I do, it says not to do them if you have had a heavy meal in the last two hours.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    I'm no pro or nutritionist, but I'm definitely a veteran to your schedule. I used to run at 5am and the thought of eating something before my run or getting up a second earlier to eat something, giving it a few minutes to digest and THEN running was in no way appealing. I saw no benefit in it, plus the one time I tried to eat something small, i felt ill.

That's just me though. I just felt that for the 40-50 minutes I was going to run, I didn't need the nutrition. I just ate something after I showered. The weekend longer runs are a different story of course.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    I personally can't eat before I run - it will make me sick. However, it seems like eating afterward is a good idea. Your body will burn the material that is easiest for it - be it carbs, fat, muscle, or whatever. So if you don't eat, your body might actually break down muscle instead of getting rid of fat. That's what I hear anyway...I will defer to the experts :)
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Depending on the workout. If it is strenous, eat a small snack before. But eat at least 30-60 min. after a workout. I get up around the same time and finish with the bathroom and then exercise without eating, shower and then eat breakfast. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    My Hubby said if you are doing a "high intensity workout" it is good to have a light carb i.e. small banana, half bagel or a breakfast bar! Hope this helps and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • suserolfe
    suserolfe Posts: 1
    Hiya :)

If you have the time to eat a couple of hours before a workout then do, you need to leave it at least 2 hours to avoid being sick. For early morning workouts, the best thing to eat is half a banana to increase your energy levels. Eat it 10 mins before you go out and you shouldn't feel sick! :) x
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    You don't have to eat before, in fact, if you're getting up and heading out right away, it's probably not a good idea. Food in your stomach can cause cramps when you run. However, it is a good idea to eat afterwards to help your muscles recover. That being said, studies have shown that one of the best things you can eat (or drink) for recovery is low fat chocolate milk. A small glass will go a long way, but won't fill you up even if you're not hungry in the first place.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    I understand not eating before running that early, and there are different studies that say different things, so if it's less than an hour and it doesn't bother you I think it's okay (some say it helps burn up any stores you have from the night before). However, I personally always eat after a workout, your glycogen levels are low and need to be replenished. My favorite quick meal if I'm not hungry but want an energy boost (and to keep my metabolism up!) is a banana with natural peanut butter. The potassium from the banana is great for preventing cramping post-run, the glucose helps replenish the glycogen stores, and the healthy fats from the peanut butter keep me satiated until meal-time! :) Other things I love are oatmeal with flaxseed and cranberries/blueberries or an egg-white and spinach omelette with basil and pepper in it and whole wheat toast. Take a couple mins to make but both are really fast, too! Hope this helps!! :smile:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 642 Member
    There was an article that basically talked about walking as soon as you get up in the morning. The principle behind it was that your body has burned calories and energy stores throughout the night, so all that is left is fat. So the recommendation was to walk at a brisk pace for at least 20 minutes per morning. So I would get up, put on some sweats, a pullover to mimic an sauna suit and a sockhat (help retain your heat in your body so you sweat more). I was able to drop weight faster and felt great throughout the rest of the day. I am also hypoglycemic, and was able to do this not so strenuous routine without getting all woozy but sometimes I would eat one of those 80 calorie yogurts to be safe. I also beleive no matter what workout it is, I would recommend a meal afterwards, especially a protein drink. I know there are a few tasty premade ones out there, so why not drink it after and then get your breakfast later on. No ,a protein drink isnt going to make you bulky.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    I have heard not to eat for years and have done so,I also hit the gym at 5:00am,but my PT my wife and I have said it is best to eat one or two bites of like a special k protein snack bar,my wife and I usually split it.The concept is the same as eating every 2 to 3 hours kicking your metabolism into play and burning fat rather than muscle,I'm sure there is a much more in depth explination but I'm not a nutritionist or a trainer,and our plan is definitely working for us,we've lost over 20 lbs each in a little over a month.
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Thanks for all the input. I wouldn't call my workout high intensity, and don't feel sluggish, but maybe I'll try 1/2 banana and buckets of water rather than the cup of coffee I usually have before a jog. I figure I won't know how much energy I'm missing until I try! I'll definitely try to eat soon afterwards, though,to replenish my body.
This discussion has been closed.