Experience Runners how many calories

Options
I am wondering if there is any experienced runners here, I am wondering how much do you run and how many calories do you eat? I just got back into running I also do Turbo Fire workouts and another workout called Zcut. I found a personal trainer and she also puts together a meal plan. I have been struggling reaching my goal weight so I thought the problem was my eating. I did not pay her to be my trainer I just asked her to put together a nutrition plan for me

She put together a plan but it has me eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day.

I have started having big burns while working out (600 to 1000 calories), and I am concerned if eating that little with the big burn workouts is going to make me pass out.

I already send her my question, but I want to have some information as well as to how many calories the runners are averaging a day.

Thanks

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    When I started here (a little over a year ago) I was in the midst of training for my spring Half Marathon. I am small, so setting my lifestyle to sedentary and configuring to lose 1 pound per week, MFP had me at 1200 calories. I followed the site's plan of eating back those calories. Most days I was probably within 200 calories of eating them all back. I lost a pound a week for about 12 weeks. There might have been one or two weeks in which my weight stayed the same. This was will running 55 to 70 miles per week.

Edit: I logged the calories that MFP calculated, usually about 90 per mile, I believe.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am male and 173 lbs and I eat at least 3000 calories on days I run off 1000 cal. Even when I was still dieting I rarely ate less than 2500.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Right now I am running 3 times a week and will increase that to 4 times starting next week. I set my goal at 2400 calories a day to maintain my weight.
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I normally burn about 550 calories in an hour of jogging at about 5 mph. She has you on entirely too low of a calorie intake, imho. You need at least 1200 (most like more) just for your body to function and that doesnt include your exercise. You need to NET at least your BMR per day- which may/may not be around 1200. That means you need to eat back most of your exercise calories. It is a bit more complicated than this and everyone seems to have a different take on it. My thoughts are that you need fuel for running and you will quickly burn through muscle and tank your metabolism if you aren't eating at least at your BMR. Most personal trainers know enough to get by with a rough diet plan but they aren't technically qualified to. Only dieticians really have the knowledge to do that. The fact that she put you on such a strict diet is a red flag to me. Did she discuss your carb/fat/protein ratios and any supplements and vitamins?

Edit to note that I eat around 1600 calories each day, slightly more on run days. Also, I think your BMR is probably quite a bit higher than 1200-1300. You need to hit between your TDEE and BRM to lose weight. The forums and an online search can help you figure out your numbers and explain what all that means.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am female, 44 years old, 145 pounds and I burn about 100 calories per mile running. I eat most of my calories back. I wouldn't be able to complete my runs if I didn't. Especially the day after a long run I am particularly hungry and I have to be careful not to go over, but you should definitely be eating more than 1200-1300 calories if you are running more than a couple of miles.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When I started here (a little over a year ago) I was in the midst of training for my spring Half Marathon. I am small, so setting my lifestyle to sedentary and configuring to lose 1 pound per week, MFP had me at 1200 calories. I followed the site's plan of eating back those calories. Most days I was probably within 200 calories of eating them all back. I lost a pound a week for about 12 weeks. There might have been one or two weeks in which my weight stayed the same. This was will running 55 to 70 miles per week.

Edit: I logged the calories that MFP calculated, usually about 90 per mile, I believe.

So how many calories a day would you say you were eating.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    .66 x your weight x miles = calories burned (accounting for tdee).

I got it from runners world and it works out to about 100 cal/mile, which is the conventional wisdom.

I replace my calories burned.

The BEST way to be accurate if you're worried about it is to get a HRM.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    You're right - that can't be safe. I'm male and have a lot more weight than you do, but 2400 +/- per day, and I have worked my way down from 200 to 190.
    Don't know what the right number for you would be, but it can't be as low as you're being told.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I am female, 44 years old, 145 pounds and I burn about 100 calories per mile running. I eat most of my calories back. I wouldn't be able to complete my runs if I didn't. Especially the day after a long run I am particularly hungry and I have to be careful not to go over, but you should definitely be eating more than 1200-1300 calories if you are running more than a couple of miles.

Thank you for the response I am at 155 pounds I am 5'3 I am trying to loose weight and reach my goal and I have completed 2 5ks and 2 10ks So I know that after my races specially my 10ks I am really hungry. I just started training for a half marathon I still want to loose the weight but I also want to eat healthy to fuel my body.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    You should be eating double that. I am 5'3" 119 lbs. I'm currently in maintenance and training for a half marathon. I have a semi-active job with walking, and I went for a 5 mile run yesterday. I ate 2600 calories. Before I was in maintenance it would have been around 2300 - 2400.

Don't starve your runs!
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 131 pounds. I burn about 600 calories per hour of running and I eat some of those calories back.
    I eat around 2000 calories on a big run day, more if I feel I need it.
  • sunshinekind919
    sunshinekind919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" so our daily calories are probably about the same. To lose 1 lb a week, I eat 1200 calories a day anyway, and on the days I run I definitely eat my most if not all of the calories I burn. I just use the MFP calculator by logging my time and speed, and eat that. If you want to look at my diary, you're more than welcome to.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I normally burn about 550 calories in an hour of jogging at about 5 mph. She has you on entirely too low of a calorie intake, imho. You need at least 1200 (most like more) just for your body to function and that doesnt include your exercise. You need to NET at least your BMR per day- which may/may not be around 1200. That means you need to eat back most of your exercise calories. It is a bit more complicated than this and everyone seems to have a different take on it. My thoughts are that you need fuel for running and you will quickly burn through muscle and tank your metabolism if you aren't eating at least at your BMR. Most personal trainers know enough to get by with a rough diet plan but they aren't technically qualified to. Only dieticians really have the knowledge to do that. The fact that she put you on such a strict diet is a red flag to me. Did she discuss your carb/fat/protein ratios and any supplements and vitamins?

Edit to note that I eat around 1600 calories each day, slightly more on run days. Also, I think your BMR is probably quite a bit higher than 1200-1300. You need to hit between your TDEE and BRM to lose weight. The forums and an online search can help you figure out your numbers and explain what all that means.

I realized that it was too low today when I received the plan from her, I have not started the eating plan she just send it to me. I told her that I was a runner and also the other workouts that I do. So I was surprised when I saw the meal plans. I totally agree about the fuel for running therefore my question and my response back to her. She did talk about supplements and the plan that she gave me tells me carbs protein fat etc. The meals look good and healthy my only problem is that calories are too low.

Actually my BMR is 1,363
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 5'10, 198lbs been running for almost a year now... I am in training for a 1/2 and do full body strength training 3x/wk as well. I eat roughly 1800-2000 calories on work out days and 1600-1700 on rest days. I have been consistantly losing 1.5 - 2lbs/week.

For the amount you do, I would think that you can be 1500-1700 and still lose fat.

Have you calculated your TDEE?
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    .66 x your weight x miles = calories burned (accounting for tdee).

I got it from runners world and it works out to about 100 cal/mile, which is the conventional wisdom.

I replace my calories burned.

The BEST way to be accurate if you're worried about it is to get a HRM.

I actually have an HRM that is how I know how many calories I burn during my workouts.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    The minimum I eat is my TDEE on a sedentary level and that's a bit above 1600 calories. When I run during the week, i'll add about 200-300 calories to that. When I run on saturday (9-12 miles), i'll add an extra 500-1000 to that.

With that, i've lost about 5 pounds so far this year while training for a half marathon.

You don't want to lose too fast when distance training. You need your fuel.

Edit - I just calculated your TDEE for a sedentary level and it came out at 1752. That's with little or no exercise. I would think eating that, plus 1/2 your exercise calories and you'll be fine.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You're right - that can't be safe. I'm male and have a lot more weight than you do, but 2400 +/- per day, and I have worked my way down from 200 to 190.
    Don't know what the right number for you would be, but it can't be as low as you're being told.

Thank you that is what I thought, but I have responded to her and will wait to see what she says
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    You should be eating double that. I am 5'3" 119 lbs. I'm currently in maintenance and training for a half marathon. I have a semi-active job with walking, and I went for a 5 mile run yesterday. I ate 2600 calories. Before I was in maintenance it would have been around 2300 - 2400.

Don't starve your runs!

You and I are the same height, right now I am at 153 my goal is to get down to 125 -130 but not at the sacrifice of my runs. Thanks for the information back
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 131 pounds. I burn about 600 calories per hour of running and I eat some of those calories back.
    I eat around 2000 calories on a big run day, more if I feel I need it.
    '

Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

Thank you for the response I am at 155 pounds I am 5'3 I am trying to loose weight and reach my goal and I have completed 2 5ks and 2 10ks So I know that after my races specially my 10ks I am really hungry. I just started training for a half marathon I still want to loose the weight but I also want to eat healthy to fuel my body.

I am 5'2 155lbs - I run about 2.50 miles 3 times a week (I'm just starting out) and I do Insanity 3/4 times a week. I eat 1500-1700 calories a day. I wouldn't last 5 minutes running on 1200 calories a day.