Dance dance revolution

OK so there has been a lot of talk about this game recently and we bought ours for the wii last friday when it was released in the UK one big problem I am hooked I set out yesterday when my daughter was napping to play for an hour that turned into 2 and 1/2 hours and then I still didn't turn it off I played again when the kids were in bed another hour I get hooked on the groove circuit and when I can't beat the challenge it gets to me and I have to keep going time just disappears I didn't anticipate this.

Now my question is if I was to log this (I do pick up my heart beat and I get quite sweaty when I really get into it I love the fast tunes and I am on starting on difficult as I was picking up mostly A and B's on basic level) those who have played will understand. My legs are killing me today since friday I have probably clocked up about 12 to 16 hours on this and I haven't been logging it. Could dancing be the best choice or should I go for low impact aerobics?

Any suggestions welcome I wouldn't usually log something like this but I seem to be playing it in excess I suppose a computor game that can help get fit is my excuse but mainly it is such goooooooooood fun.

THX:heart:

Replies

• vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    OK so there has been a lot of talk about this game recently and we bought ours for the wii last friday when it was released in the UK one big problem I am hooked I set out yesterday when my daughter was napping to play for an hour that turned into 2 and 1/2 hours and then I still didn't turn it off I played again when the kids were in bed another hour I get hooked on the groove circuit and when I can't beat the challenge it gets to me and I have to keep going time just disappears I didn't anticipate this.

Now my question is if I was to log this (I do pick up my heart beat and I get quite sweaty when I really get into it I love the fast tunes and I am on starting on difficult as I was picking up mostly A and B's on basic level) those who have played will understand. My legs are killing me today since friday I have probably clocked up about 12 to 16 hours on this and I haven't been logging it. Could dancing be the best choice or should I go for low impact aerobics?

Any suggestions welcome I wouldn't usually log something like this but I seem to be playing it in excess I suppose a computor game that can help get fit is my excuse but mainly it is such goooooooooood fun.

THX:heart:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Hey, sweat is sweat, if this is what you enjoy, and it's raising your heartrate, it's working for you. But I wouldn't use this as your only source of exercise, I'm a firm believer in pushing yourself, at least once a week or so, I feel like we need to give our bodies something to think about, really make yourself sore the next day, but I don't see anything wrong with making this a good "off-day" workout. Even if your off-day is the other 6 days a week.
  • vicky1
    This is not what I call a workout this is in addition to 1 1/2 hours brisk walk with a pushchair and a choice of either 40 min intensive elliptical / 43 tae-bo / or 35 mins of 2 min fast jump rope and 3 mins running up and down the stairs or if the weather ok a 30 min jog oh and three times a week core secrets dvd with 5 kg weights.

This is extra I just don't know whether to log it when I play in excess I was absolutely soaked and exhausted the after playing for a few hours the other night I spent the whole of feb getting my body out of starvation mode and I don't want to go back.
  • Not sure about UK/Wii versions, but most DDR games have a Workout Mode that will actually tell you how many calories you burn, based on your weight and the songs you choose. However, I like to play in the other modes too, and when I do that I log my DDR as "Dancing-General." I use that instead of "Dancing-Aerobic" because you're not constantly dancing during the time you play, and because some songs are easier than others. Plus I'd rather underestimate the calories I burn rather than overestimate them!

Glad you're enjoying DDR!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Since I don't belong to a gym, this is what I use as Cardio. I'm sorry, but YES, I do use this as my main source of cardio AND it IS a workout! Especially when you get those crazy ones when you're jumping around like a fool 'cause you can't keep up!
    I burn around 600 calories in an hour! Sometimes I pick up my hand weights and do my arms while I'm doing the steps. Sometimes when the steps are farther apart, I do jumping jacks to the steps! Then when I'm done, I get to my stretch band and work my arms, abs, back and legs! Sometimes I workout for 70-80 minutes and burn over 700 calories. I have been doing this since January and have lost 24 pounds so far!
    When I first started I was addicted too! I actually bought it for my son to use since he's a big kid (not huge, but he feels he is) and thought if he did it he would lose some weight and not even realize it. But guess who's using it! ME! I do it Monday, Wed. & Fri. when there are no children home!
    Good Luck!
    p.s. see if yours has a workout mode
    Jennifer
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Sounds like a workout to me! Maybe this isn't the choice for me though... I'm a pretty crappy dancer, lol :laugh:
  • jenbar
    Okay, I just finished and am sitting here sweaty and gross. I did 1 hour and burned 524 calories. I also wear a MIO watch that does my heart beat and calories and that's where I got my count.

Okay, as I was doing it, I got to thinking.
    I'm a graphic artist mom who works from home. I sit on my butt all day long. I got no exercise what so ever.
    I have joined 4 gyms in 6 years and NEVER completed a year. Farthest I got was about 3 months, then the other 9 months I was basically giving them my money. I bought a $499 recumbent bike 3 years ago (for my 35th birthday) and used it MAYBE 10 times. I thought last year, hmmm, let me try this thing again and realized some kid (not sure if it was mine or relative) did something to it and broke the tension on it. I hate the darn thing. It's boring! Yeah, I use to sit on one of them in the gym (that I didn't attend), but in my house? forget it!

I use to go out to clubs and dance when I was a teenager/20's. I haven't danced in over 14 years thanks to my non dancer husband.

I have found nothing that had gotten me off this computer chair that I enjoy and DON'T MIND DOING!
    Until DDR. I do it in my living room, I look like an idiot, I still get encouragement from the little guy voice in the game, I try and beat my combination, so it gives me goals, I wear my watch so I watch my calories and heart beat and pick up the beat and bounce a little more or do squats the entire song! Put it this way, it's fun, I don't think I'll bore of it, and I'm still burning calories.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    OMG this is a GREAT source of cardio and PERFECT as an only source of cardio. You are using so many muscles and you can put in arms too! My little niece got this as a present and she brought it to grammys and I hooked it up and whew not only fun but a fun workout for the whole family. Even my mom got in on the action:tongue: . FINALLY a game that gets kids and families moving and groovin' So i sound like a commercial. And FYI we didn't use the Wii version we used a plug and play version and it was so fun and very affordable as well. So to those who say it isn't a good source as a sole cardio workout I have to disagree.:mad: it is no different than any of the videos that teach hip hop, or ballet moves as a form of cardio.:happy:
  • jenbar
    OMG this is a GREAT source of cardio and PERFECT as an only source of cardio. You are using so many muscles and you can put in arms too! My little niece got this as a present and she brought it to grammys and I hooked it up and whew not only fun but a fun workout for the whole family. Even my mom got in on the action:tongue: . FINALLY a game that gets kids and families moving and groovin' So i sound like a commercial. And FYI we didn't use the Wii version we used a plug and play version and it was so fun and very affordable as well. So to those who say it isn't a good source as a sole cardio workout I have to disagree.:mad: it is no different than any of the videos that teach hip hop, or ballet moves as a form of cardio.:happy:

I agree totally!
    While I was doing it, I was thinking it's like a step aerobics class,(without the step) (and I hate those dumb classes!)
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    I dont ( or cant!) play the game myself, but my 12 year old is quite the expert on it!!
    There is no way that this is not great cardio exercise especially at his level ( I dont know what it is, but he's on the highest one). His feet move so fast you can barely see them and he will play it for hours at a time. He comes downstairs dripping sweat. When he had to do the mile run he did very well even though he had never done it before.
  • jenbar
    I can't do it that fast. There is one song that goes really fast and I look like I'm having a seizure on the mat doing it! I can't remember how many beats per minute I do, but I also have it on double arrows so you have to jump on 2 at a time too.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Hey, sweat is sweat, if this is what you enjoy, and it's raising your heartrate, it's working for you. But I wouldn't use this as your only source of exercise, I'm a firm believer in pushing yourself, at least once a week or so, I feel like we need to give our bodies something to think about, really make yourself sore the next day, but I don't see anything wrong with making this a good "off-day" workout. Even if your off-day is the other 6 days a week.

If your body is hurting that bad what you are actually doing is DAMAGING muscle and Bone and Joints. I Know, I used to push myself until iw as hurting. In the end I was 11% body fat-less than the average female athlete. I was obsessing over working out, I was skipping class to go workout. and I have the damaged joints to prove it, and the medical bills, and the scars. You should feel something after a good workout but you don't have to be sore. That is a myth that has been disproven millions of times. If this were the case pliates, running, swimming etc would not work. I just don't want people doing crazy **** because they read it online that might cause them to do permanent damage to joints and muscles. One step at a time people. And consult your doctor first and ALWAYS PERIOD. and don't rely on what I or anyone else says on what you should do for your body. This is ALL just opinion. PERIOD!!! What works for me... you know how that goes. I don't want anyone to have the messed up knees and hip and ankle that I do. Be safe, smart, and fit!:smile:
  • vicky1
    It is soooo nice to know that I am not a nutter this game is addictive I have taken a break for the last 2 days but I am up on difficult level now and getting B's your body really can learn coordination I thought there would be no way I would ever get of beginner level but I have. I have got the workout mode but I get more hooked on the groove circuit.

Glad I am not the only big kid on here.
  • KatieZ75
    KatieZ75 Posts: 29 Member
    DDR is one of my favorite activities as well! Everyonce in awhile a couple of friends and I get together and have DDR night too. It is extrememly fun, we laugh all night long AND get excersise in as well!

I applaud those of you on difficult.. that is truly a feat in itself!! :)