Almost 50 and Signed Up for First 5Ks - Am I Nuts?

Options
I'll be 49 later this year and have never liked running because I have short legs and was forced to run an obnoxious amount of laps in school. However, I've always loved walking and am on a mission to get fit by age 50. I'm currently doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and can feel my endurance level changing.

I've got quite a few 5K races nearby, and this distance doesn't seem too intimidating. I took the plunge and signed up for two of them this fall, one before I turn 49 and one after. Am I totally nuts? Can an semi-old, short legged woman really start running this late in life? There's another 5K I'd love to do, but it's Memorial Day weekend and I really don't know if I could be in shape by then. I haven't started my specific run training yet, although Jillian's cardio is building me up.

I'd love to hear from others who started running later in life and didn't drop dead of a heart attack. I've got a little under 20 pounds to lose, but I don't think that will be much of a limiting factor.

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and started the C25K today :) I tried jogging in sprints on my walk to the store and a guy who had to be pushing 90 jogged past me (I'm serious).

Age is a state of mind.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am 47 this year and I am also considering a 5K. I have never been a runner either. I will be excited to hear how it goes for you.
  • kahyee
    kahyee Posts: 63
    Options
    Not 50, but you surely can run your 5ks later this year. My question is, why can't you run the Memorial Day race? Is it your body or your mind telling you you're not going to be ready. If it's your mind, register today. Good luck.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner but I started C25k in October 2012 (70 pounds heavier than I am now) and completed it in December. Ran a 5k March 17 of this year, two weeks after my 51st birthday. This short legged-overweight-semi-old guy didn't drop dead or even have a heart attack. :laugh:

If you enjoy it and want to do it, go for it.
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 50 use to run outside, to hard on my joints. I do run 3 miles on the treadmill though and walk 6 miles every morning. Doesnt matter how slow you go just try and finish!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If you put your mind to it you can do it, great job for signing up. Something that I have learned while running races the goal is to finish :)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's definitely my mind keeping me from signing up for the Memorial Day weekend race. I'm surprised at how well I'm doing with JMBR and can't quite believe a 5K is actually doable for me, even though part of me thinks (knows?) it is. You've all been very inspiring. I might just sign up for that May race! In the worst case, if I keel over, I know I'm not ready and I just build myself up for the fall.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Pfft. Go for it! I'll be 50 this year, didn't start running until my 40s, and am going to do my 6th half marathon a week from Saturday.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. I started running when I was 49. Running helped me lose a lot of weight. I've won 1st place in several 5K races and 1 half marathon (age group). I slacked off on my mileage and gained a little weight over the winter. I've run 175 miles in one month. This month just half that. I hit 91 miles today. I'm planning on running my first marathon in October. I also want to do a triathlon.... and maybe a tough mudder. Since I lost the weight I went nuts - Started graduate school, I'm still working part time, also running my own business. I'm going rock climbing this summer and I want to get a kayak. I hang out with people younger than me because those my age can't keep up and they drive me nutssssssssssssssssssssssssss. : ) My running buddies are in their 20's 30's and early 40's. I love my running club! And I'm hyper tonight, I need a loooooooooooong run. : )
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I started C25K when I was 50 yo. I had smoked for 30+ years and was 50 lbs overweight. I run around 20 miles a week now and just love it! Get started because like me, I'm certain you will wish you had started in your 40's, 30's or 20's! Just do it. The hardest part, as they say, is lacing up your shoes!! Enjoy :)
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    I will be 50 in july and plan on doing my first 5K(though granted it is a color me rad so just finishing is the goal) in late june.....going to try anyways
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you an do it! My dh started running last year at 51 and is now faster than me at 5 & 10k s.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You are all so inspiring, thanks so much! C25K is going on my phone today. I know I'll never win a race with my short, stubby legs, but finishing in increasingly quicker times would be good enough for me. I'm near Disney World, so they have some really cool 5Ks. I'm signed up for two of those and am leaning strongly toward doing the one in May because it benefits the state park where I ride my horse. I can do this!
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    No, you are awesome. :drinker:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Minutes ago finished day 2 of C25k. I'm 51 and have never been a runner.

I'll never be graceful, but I'm pretty sure I can do this.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Short legs don't matter - my running partner is a good 6 inches shorter than me and she is a much better (and more accomplished) runner than I am.

Age doesn't matter either. My almost-60 year old aunt started running a few months ago and now runs 4 miles 3x a week.

You'll do great - just keep up with C25K and have fun!!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Start out by power walking. Get your pace to about a 12 minute mile, and then start to add in two minutes of run and then slow back down to power walk every mile.

To be honest, a 5K is only three miles, very doable to train for even with only a couple of months.