How do I make brown rice taste good??

Options
I try to eat low sodium brown rice for dinner, but its soo bland and sometimes i just cant eat it. I like it with soy sauce, but I cant be eating that, its nothing but soduim .
I add pepper to it, but that doesnt help much.

Does anyone know anything to add to brown rice to make me excited to eat it ??? : )
Thanks

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    If you've switch from white rice, switch back. No point eating something you don't like. Basmati and jasmine are two staples for me and they take on flavor easily.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you've switch from white rice, switch back. No point eating something you don't like. Basmati and jasmine are two staples for me and they take on flavor easily.

This.

Also, I make my brown rice with low sodium chicken broth. It tastes really good to me, but I like the taste of brown rice.
  • exohrina
    exohrina Posts: 9
    Options
    Other alternatives to brown rice are quinoa and couscous which are both really good. You can try either of them as a cold salad from the Safeway deli if you live in North America. Most grocery stores sell them in boxes, as well too. But as with anything healthy or alternative, it's more expensive than white rice.
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I add spices like curry or cumin when cooking it and sometimes salsa, makes a big difference :)
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    By eating white rice. There's really no reason not to. It's rice, taking the bran coat off just makes it less chewy while removing an insignificant amount of fiber, and an insignificant amount of nutrients.

Have a fiber one bar if you need more, or something, eat more fresh vegetables. Those have more fiber in them than buckets full of brown rice could ever hope to have. BTW, white rice has fiber too...

There's a reason why we took the bran coat off when we invented milling... The arguments that white pastas, white breads, white rice have their carbohydrates absorbed faster is statistically insignificant, we're talking whole grains being *ahem* "healthier" only in that they have more vitamins and minerals than their white counterparts (which isn't to say they have 0 nutrients, they do...)

and "healthier" only in that the carbohydrates are absorbed SLIGHTLY slower, which leads to a slightly less pronounced insulin response because of a slightly smaller spike in blood sugar, which researchers conclude is healthier.

I dunno where to get the drugs needed to make myself high enough to believe that an insulin spike that is 1-3% lower is more healthy for people.

And there are much better and more tasty ways of assimilating the vitamins and minerals you need through the day, without having to resort to eating cardboard.

ETA: sorry, I'm just tired of BS headlines like raspberry ketones and whole grains being "healthier", when the data that they use to make those claims only has half truths and supposition. People who eat brown rice live longer.. but not because of the brown rice. It's more likely that their entire diet is more eastern, more fresh ingredients, less fat.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I cook it in beef broth, veggie broth or chicken broth. I will add veggies as it is cooking so the flavors enhance the rice. Make sure to add a bit more water, but not much.

I like small pieces of carrots, onions, red peppers, sometimes celery, if you like spicy the jalepenos, squash (put yellow or zuch in at the last moment) corn and peas are yummy.

I like slivered almonds.

I also like fresh grated parmesan cheese on top

Ok now your making me hungry:angry:

:laugh:
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem (though I tend to use as much salt as I want on stuff). I switched from white to brown rice, and while I like brown rice as an accompaniment to very flavorful dishes, it's kind of blah on it's own. I can eat white rice on it's own and I love Asian food, but somehow brown rice doesn't translate as well. Maybe I should just switch back if it's really not much of a difference.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I moosh up avocados and key lime juice in mine, but then again I love it plain so YMMV.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Add 50% wild rice, sauteed mushrooms, carmelized onions, diced cooked chicken, almonds, sliced rare beef steak, diced roasted red peppers, diced baked sweet potato, god, woman, there's no end of ways.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are eating the brown rice as a side dish in addition to a main protein course.

Try making it with low fat chicken broth and a tablespoon of CostCo's no-salt seasoning, instead of plain water.

If you are ambitious and have time, adding aromatics such as onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery, carrots, parsley, thyme along with the chicken broth/seasoning will add additional flavor layers.

In adding onions, its important to caramelize them first by gently browning, (I use olive oil), this is called the Maillard reaction which boosts the taste by gentling the harsh sulfides of the raw onions and making them sweet.

Usually I'm in a hurry and just add the broth and no-salt seasoning.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

So comforting to read this ^. I too just don't like brown rice and would rather not eat it. I needed to hear having my jasmine rice is okay :)
  • L7haute
    L7haute Posts: 2
    Options
    Zatarans salt free chicken seasoning
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    curry!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love to sautee fresh onions, garlic, green/yellow/red bell peppers in EVOO first just till tender (sometimes adding mushrooms). Then add in dry salt free herbs and spices, couple pinches of sea salt.
    Add water, bring to boil.
    Add rice.

YUMMMMM!!!!

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Butter? I don't eat any kind of rice often, but when I do I have to have butter on it. But then I am on a lower carb diet. Low sodium organic chicken broth is another good idea if you don't want the fat. I have had it cooked in the low sodium chicken broth and then drizzled with a bit of coconut oil and then with added sauteed onion and green pepper and that's pretty good too.
  • love2garden4us
    Options
    I put brown rice (2 cups) in my rice cooker, then I add about 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic, about 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion, about 2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup salsa, and then I put enough water to be at the 3 cup mark. (In reality I am adding about 1 cup more water than the rice cooker calls for). I put it on the brown rice setting. Honestly, it takes like Spanish rice--lots of flavor. And when I cook it in the rice cooker, it takes almost like white rice to me (very fluffy)--except that it is extremely filling. (You could also add just a splash of olive oil, if you want--before you cook it all together.)
  • LosingitinWY
    LosingitinWY Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Salsa :)
    I try to eat low sodium brown rice for dinner, but its soo bland and sometimes i just cant eat it. I like it with soy sauce, but I cant be eating that, its nothing but soduim .
    I add pepper to it, but that doesnt help much.

Does anyone know anything to add to brown rice to make me excited to eat it ??? : )
    Thanks
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My son is picky, and he'll eat brown rice with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it, or cheese. White rice and quinoa are preferred.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Soak it in chicken broth, mixed veg, and seasoning to cook. But if it doesn't appeal to you, it may just be easier to switch to other whole grain foods. Ever tried quinoa or Kashi 7 grain (like rice) pilaf? Yum...