No Crockpot

Options
jordanlell
jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
When my boyfriend and I lived together I used to love to cook chicken breast in the crockpot, but we had to move apart last year (him for work and me for school) and the crockpot was his, so he took it with him :sad: Is it possible to cook chicken so it comes out like it does with the crockpot, but on the stove? I don't have an oven either, which was the only other option I could find in a quick internet search.

Replies

• wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A crocpot is just a slow cooker... I don't have a specific recipe for you but if you want the chicken to just be very juice and falling apart the way meat is when I cook it in my crocpot (only had it 2 weeks and I'm still trying to figure it all out) I would think you need to put chicken in with some stock in a pot over very low heat for a LONG time.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can cook it on the stove like the previous poster suggests, but its still just not the same :/ Crockpots are friggin awesome. You can slow cook just about any type of meat and its comes out much more tender and juicy than a stove or oven could produce. Go spend $30 and get your own crockpot and never ever ever let anyone take your crockpot away again.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For some meals, boiling the chicken would give similar results (chicken salad, chicken tacos, chicken BBQ).

I would keep an eye out at Goodwill for a crockpot. I often see them there for cheap. Crockpots are so handy I would hate to be without one for long!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Crockpots are only $20 dollars now at walmart :)
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look at Goodwill I think. I'm very tightly budgeted right now as an unemployed student :( any extra money spent at all is a pretty big no-no, even $20 is money that is already spoken for :grumble:
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Check Craig's list too :)
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you are in America you should try freecycle! Offer something for free and then you can post a request for a crockpot. Or just wait around until one gets offered and try to be the first to snag it.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately stoves can't usually get low enough and cookware is built to retain heat so it is difficult to simulate a crockpot. Eventhough $20 can be a lot of money when your budget is tight even saving spare change can help you get enough money to buy one at a garage sale or thrift store. Also if you have any churches in your area (or if you belong to a church) you may be able to stop in the office and ask if you can place a donation request for a crockpot who may need a new home on their bulletin board. It is still possible to cook moist chicken on the stove. Depending upon what you want to make just make sure you do not over cook it. Good luck!