How much cardio is too much?

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
I recently started a training program for a 10k that has me running 3 days a week. Is it ok to do other cardio on those days also? My gym offers zumba, yoga, and other classes on my scheduled run days and I would love to take advantage of them but I don't want to overdo it. So far those days are my easy runs, but as I get closer to the race, I am dramatically increasing my mileage and doing tempo/speedwork. What do you think? Should I cool it on the classes until the race is over? Or should I completely restructure my running plan around the classes? Or can I just do both?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    When you feel tired, worn down (more than usual), or cannot perform to the same level that you normally do, then it's time to take a break. It's a very personal distinction, for me, 6 days of hard cardio is all I can do before my knees start barking at me and my sessimoid bone starts really hurting, but for others 2 or 3 days could be your limit.
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I do at least 85 min of cardio 5 days a week ... not training for anything, just for weightloss! And sometimes I don't feel quite as good as on other days, ... sometimes I'm tired! But for the most part this works well for me. So, I think you just need to listen to your body ... you can try to do more then 3 days, do the classes on some days and then do running on others and just see how you feel.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So I should be ok as long as I listen to my body...cool. I am planning on taking Friday as a rest day and I might do Wednesday as a no cardio day - I've been doing weights too.