Abs.

Options
I've been working out, and eating healthy for nearly a month. I do both cardio and strength training at least 5 days a week. I'm seeing results everywhere but my abs.... this is super frustrating especially since this is my main problem area. Any advice, or what worked for you? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The best I can say is patience. Fat in the belly area is usually (not for everybody, but for most) the last to go. Continue to work on lowering your BF% (not just weight) and I'm sure you will see them eventually. Just remember it is going to take a while, but it can and will happen eventually as long as you stick with it.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It's the last to go for me. And that is more and more true as I get older:). But it does go, promise.
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Planks!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Abs take longer than a month to show - even after losing weight. It's all about body fat %. It took me months after reaching my goal weight to really see any definition in my stomach, even though it was mostly flat. 10 minutes of ab exercises 2-3 times a week is plenty, the rest is about diet. Try to eat "cleaner" more whole foods, watch your salt intake, make sure you're balancing sodium and potassium properly, and if you haven't already, cut down on greasy stuff. Anything that may cause bloating is going to make your stomach look bigger. :P

Drink plenty of water, and try green tea or black coffee, which is a diuretic.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you've seen progress everywhere else, then you'll soon start seeing progress in your abs. It's all about bodyfat%.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not seeing a lot of weight loss at all, I'm assuming its because I'm gaining muscle. But I do wish I could see more weight loss, surely after two months I would have lost more than 2 pounds!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not seeing a lot of weight loss at all, I'm assuming its because I'm gaining muscle. But I do wish I could see more weight loss, surely after two months I would have lost more than 2 pounds!

Are you measuring yourself? It is highly possible that you are losing inches instead of weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/948167-same-weight-different-body-pic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/954025-small-weight-difference-big-physical-transformation-pics-plz
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One month?

First, I'd say patience.

Second, are you weighing and measuring your food to ensure your portions are correct?

Third, recognize that no calorie calculator is completely accurate. You may have to slowly adjust your TDEE numbers over time, but I wouldn't do that right away.
  • JaniseNikolic
    JaniseNikolic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! The waist is the last to respond to weight loss and the first to gain! Stay the course and be patient!
  • kelbwjax
    Options

Are you measuring yourself? It is highly possible that you are losing inches instead of weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/948167-same-weight-different-body-pic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/954025-small-weight-difference-big-physical-transformation-pics-plz

I haven't been previously but I did go and buy a tape measure yesterday, because I'd love to see some progress!!
  • kelbwjax
    Options
    One month?

First, I'd say patience.

Second, are you weighing and measuring your food to ensure your portions are correct?

Third, recognize that no calorie calculator is completely accurate. You may have to slowly adjust your TDEE numbers over time, but I wouldn't do that right away.

Its been around two months now, I haven't been weighing food, I do try to do 50% protein 25% carbs 25% healthy fats, and lots of water.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. Are you doing strengthening exercises that specifically target your core? I did about an hour's worth, 3 times a week and after about 2 months (not watching what I ate/eating 'clean' at the time, restricting calories or any of that), saw a good amount of definition in my abs.
  • kelbwjax
    Options
    Depends on the person. Are you doing strengthening exercises that specifically target your core? I did about an hour's worth, 3 times a week and after about 2 months (not watching what I ate/eating 'clean' at the time, restricting calories or any of that), saw a good amount of definition in my abs.

I am doing some crunches, body weight side bends, cable crunches, planks, & reverse crunches. I'm not sure how I could do an hours worth If you have any exercises that I haven't already incorporated I'd love to hear them, I'm always up for more ab workouts!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One month?

First, I'd say patience.

Its been around two months now, I haven't been weighing food, I do try to do 50% protein 25% carbs 25% healthy fats, and lots of water.

You really have to weigh and measure. I honestly thought I had a good grasp of portion size until I started weighing and measuring everything. Pour a measured serving of cereal, or scoop a measured serving of ice cream into a bowl, and you will see what I mean.

I love to tell everyone how I've lost the weight eating what I want, and it's true, but I have weighed and measured everything along the way. When I eat ice cream it is 66 grams (1/2 cup) nearly every time. No amount of exercise will make up for eating too much. I know too many guys pounding the pavement every day and still struggling to take off the last few pounds.

I'll also say the targeted abs exercises won't work as well unless they are part of an overall strength building program. Your abs work in conjunction with your other muscles and will be engaged in exercises like squats and deadlifts. I am not saying don't do the isolation work, but do it at the end of your program after you've already started to fatigue your abs.