Looking for COPD or Fibromyalgia success stories

Options
My stepmom has both COPD and fibromyaglia and is looking to get healthy so she can be an even better grandma. I have stepped up to the plate to help her with her nutrition, and some light exercise (she needs to go slow due to both illnesses).

I'm hoping that I can find some people who have had success even with these ailments. I want her to see that even though it will be a tough journey, that she can do it and I'd love to be able to show her some real results.

Pretty please, and thank you!

Replies

• Angiebabe2
    Options
    How about pmr ? Similar to fibro on the pain etc and taking steroids

I have been trying ti lose weight seriously well with a few laughs too since oct 10 and have lost 63 lbs so far

Most of this has been through plain old fashioned calorie control as to begin with I really couldnt do exercise and still dont do anything too strenuous.

But after a while I added some gentle tai chi exercises I bought a dvd and I really mean gentle but there is something about the rhythmn that helps the mind as well as the body. Then I added a local class everyone else is a pensioner so no pressure to gym up with hot young things. Then something great happened after I lost 40lbs I felt able to walk more so have added in 30-40 mins 3 or 4 times a week - the weather has finally perked up in the uk which helps.

I put on a lot of weight thro being ill and became very slug like but have now lost that and want to lose the same again to get to a healthy weight

I found doing very gentle things to start with lifted the mental gloom that comes with chronic illness and the rest has gently followed.

Good luck it is so worth it and it isnt a race it is one day at a time

Use the website I have never been this successful dieting etc before my doctor is truly amazed at the results whilst on steroids
  • Angiebabe2
    Options
    How about pmr ? Similar to fibro on the pain etc and taking steroids

I have been trying ti lose weight seriously well with a few laughs too since oct 10 and have lost 63 lbs so far

Most of this has been through plain old fashioned calorie control as to begin with I really couldnt do exercise and still dont do anything too strenuous.

But after a while I added some gentle tai chi exercises I bought a dvd and I really mean gentle but there is something about the rhythmn that helps the mind as well as the body. Then I added a local class everyone else is a pensioner so no pressure to gym up with hot young things. Then something great happened after I lost 40lbs I felt able to walk more so have added in 30-40 mins 3 or 4 times a week - the weather has finally perked up in the uk which helps.

I put on a lot of weight thro being ill and became very slug like but have now lost that and want to lose the same again to get to a healthy weight

I found doing very gentle things to start with lifted the mental gloom that comes with chronic illness and the rest has gently followed.

Good luck it is so worth it and it isnt a race it is one day at a time

Use the website I have never been this successful dieting etc before my doctor is truly amazed at the results whilst on steroids
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That is very helpful, and congratulations! I would never have thought of tai chi, but that sounds like a wonderful way to exercise.
    You're so right about the mental fog, she's in the very same boat. Especially with all of the medications and steriods she has to take.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump.... i was just diagnosed with postherpetic neuralgia and am so upset that i have to slow it down while i heal. they have no idea how long it will last tho so i need so ideas, direction, support :flowerforyou:
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    btw i love tai chi. i learned it in massage school it's so nice and energizing in a calming way.....moving meditation:heart: great idea!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have severe fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and have lost 75 pounds so far! Exercise is not as important as the calories you eat, and you can follow this plan even with no exercise at all. As she loses the weight, gentle exercise will become easier though.

Wish her luck and let her know there are success stories on here, even those of us in the same boat have managed to lose weight.
  • isefluffy44
    isefluffy44 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and severe arthritis with a failed right knee replacement so I know what it's like to try and lose weight and also to exercise. And, yes, I'm a gramma 11 x over. I just started slowly on the treadmill last week. 10 min., next day 15, next day 20 and yesterday I got up to 22, shooting for 30. I can't go fast at all. Started at 1.8 but now do 2.0 and yesterday I was at 2.2 and 2.3 for the half the time before going to 2.0. I also have a chair sitting exercise video. Is your stepmom on here? If not, get her on here and we could be friends here. We can encourage each other. I just started April 1st and as I am already at 9.6, I hope to make 10 lbs. by end of month which I consider good for a month. If I could do that every month I would have 60 lbs. off in six months, but if I only lose 1 lb. a wk., I would still be 52 lbs. lighter in a year. I just have to remember that and be patient. I would really like to meet your stepmom on here. Sounds like she has an encouraging, loving stepdaughter!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, the key thing is start off light and work up from there. Walking/riding bike to start off then you can up it to something harder. You don't wanna over load her body at first or she will be on her butt for a week (or more). The stronger she gets the more she can do.

Make sure she counts her calories, that is where most of the change should be. Walking will help the pain and stiffness but the diet is where she needs to focus more.

Good luck! Its a hard thing to deal with but it can be managed. :flowerforyou:
  • hannahjames295
    hannahjames295 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have experience myself, but I've worked with people with both conditions (not together normally, your poor step mum!)
    Sounds like you're doing well so far, and tai chi is excellent so definitely give that a go, other things you could try are Pilates/adapted yoga (if you speak to a trainer they should be able to give ideas for making poses suitable) also water based exercise is BRILLIANT! The benefits are that bodyweight is supported, taking pressure off the joints, but does give cardiovascular exercise, also things like using a static bike on low resistance, or even a cross trainer because there isn't much weight going through the joints.
    As you've already found all off this needs to be done slowly, increasing things very slightly each time. It is also worth your step mum getting a health check before increasing things, but I know that can be difficult in the States.
    Any more detailed advice/questions please message me
    Good luck to you and your step mum! Xx
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I'm proof! You just have to get off your *kitten* and move. I have had fibro since I was 16 and I'm now 52. I've lost a lot of weight thru mfp the last year and a half by starting out walking for just 10 minutes. As I lost weight and found it easier to walk, I added more time and speed. Just last year I walked over 1,000 miles for St. Judes. 2.8 miles per day, minimum and if I missed a day, I made up for it by walking longer. That was my inspiration. I set a goal to do it for charity and made myself accountable to all of the people who donated. :) Now I can easily run a 5k. I'm not fast, but I can do it! Not that I never have bad days, because I do. I haven't run in over a week right now due to fibro. When it flares up, I try to do water aerobics and/or good old walking instead because if I do nothing, I hurt even more. I think the key is to exercise but not overdo it and you learn what your limits are. The hard part is that it changes constantly. I do have to say that losing 40lbs made a big difference in my energy levels. I think that is because exercise increases endorphins, therefore improving your mood too.
    She can do this, she just needs to want it bad enough.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have fybromyalgia and I'm 93lbs down right now. 50 to go! I had a breakdown following an abusive relationship and being stalked by him. Was a very tough time in my life. In the midst of that I had a bad car accident, and had many visits in and out of hospital in agony, finally resulting in me finding out I had tumors from my contalraceptives and had 3/4 of my liver removed last year.

I comfort ate, my fybromyalgia got worse until I was virtually bed bound. 600 days ago I decided I deserved better. Started getting counselling, attention weight management and started to eat better. I started with exercise by doing literally 5 minutes on the wii. I'd then have to go nap!

The exercised really helped me mentally and seemed to help my fybromyalgia too. Over time I slowly increased it. My fybromyalgia greatly. Improved with exercise, the very thing I'd convinced myself I couldn't do!

Had the liver surgery last year, tough recovery and I did too much too soon. Burnt myself out! I'm currently working my way back up. Eight now I'm just walking. Have just come back from a 75 minute walk and feel fine, plan to be back to biking everywhere like I was last year in the next few weeks.

I've had 3 surgeries in 12 months, and some huge personal traumas and I've still lost the weight and improved my fybromyalgia. If I can do it anyone can!

I also started a supplement. Magnesium malate. Can get it on Amazon by source minerals. If you type in magnesium malate 1250 it will come up. It's 3 pills per day. It's really helped my pain and also helps anxiety symptoms. I have. It's the only thing supplement wise that I've ever felt has really helped me. If I miss a day my muscles feel much worse!

Hope that helps!

Zara x

Also... Weight loss is made in the kitchen, fitness and mental attitude are made in the gym. I've still lost weight at inactive times. Does help massively to exercise psychologically and for the fybromyalgia, but all is not lost when tour having a week where you can't exercise much! X
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My wife found relief from fibro through lifting weights. Her doctor was good enough to recommend it. Other fibro docs seem to warn against it. All I can say is that it seemed to help there, in addition to giving her an incredible figure.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    show her the film "forks over knives"

healthy plant based vegan diet, and daily short walks and stretching.
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    google "better breathers club" for individuals with COPD. I am not sure if there is such a group in your area but meetings typically consist of a light lunch, guest speaker and activity tips - free:flowerforyou:

also if she has not done so, attending a pulmonary rehab program can be very beneficial.

So nice that she has someone interested and looking out for her!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I have COPD, Fibromyalgia, Cronic Fatigue. Along with that, I have severe depression, Social anxiety disorder, I have had two strokes from blood clots to the brain, I have crohns disease and I have arthritis. I also had non existant vitamin D for many years of not leaving home & getting adequate sunlight, which put stress on my bones and teeth, so i deal with cronic mouth/jaw/teeth pain and I am currently dealing with trying to overcome the anxiety of getting to the dentist to get that fixed. Ive had one surgery that left me in more pain that when i went before, and im looking at 2 more before i can get my jaw repaired and dentures... JUST to be pain free... and the kicker? My teeth as far as the appearance is fine.

Now, with all of that being said, I have lost right at 53 pounds. When I started out, I tried to hard core exercise, I tried to eat salads for lungh and fruit for breakfast and a small portion for supper. Within 2 days I couldnt move.. I cried when I turned over in bed at night.. and i was freaking starving.. not to mention.. pooping my brains out. (sorry for TMI.. remember i have crohns too!)

So here is what worked for me...

Fruit is amazing for breakfast. If it causes her to run to the bathroom too much, tell her to try fruits that arent as acidic. like bananas. Also, talk to her about Vitamins. Its A LOT but i take 10 differnt suppliments every day, and i have my mother on them too. It was hard to get use to, but NOW that shes on it. and it took her nearly dying in ICU from lack of potassium... she feels better also! You can also add coffee for extra calories if she drinks it, milk, etc. I find that most older people dont eat breakfast because its "not worth" making a fuss over when its just them, or just them & their spouse. So I taught mom to MAKE herself a priority.

The next thing I can advise is CALORIES OUT va CALORIES IN is the most important thing you can start with. Exercise IS important, but its all in what you can do. If Exercise is going to cause you intense pain, to the point that you cant move, or that movement causes you pain to the point of tears.. who the hell is going to do it? and WHY would you? I mean really, unless you HAVE fibro, you just do not understand its gripping pain. Weight loss can be accomplished without exercise. Being older, I dont think shes really worried about being America;s next top model, and while she does need to gain lean muscle and not LOSE her muscle... there are exercises she can do against her own body resistance that wont hurt her. Google "chair exercises".

Portion control is going to be her best friend if she isnt willing (like I wasnt, & im still not) to give up her lifestyle and the way she eats. I would ask her to recommend changing her lard to olive oil.. or maybe buying her one of those pans that you dont need oil at all to cook in! Grab her a george foreman, where you can grill on! My mom loves hers! Since shes older, when you cook healthier.. double your recipe & take it over to her twice a week. Not only will she appreciate it, but she will enjoy your visits. There are so many things that you can do to help her... without being suggestive to her changing her ways. I also turn my family's meals into single size freezer dinners for her, because when my dad wasnt home in the day, she wasnt eating lunch... again, too much trouble for her to worry with doing something for herself,.. so she just wouldnt eat.

My pictures are included. Not only was I eating too much, but the medications I was on.. Im sure your mother is very familiar with the Devil.. Predisone... had me at a very heavy 246 pounds at my heaviest. I was 233 when i started on MFP.

*Note.. I would like to say that while people DO say "predisone" or what ever medication CAUSES me to gain weight.. Please, in a gentle way, try to get your mom to understand and get her way of thinking into this...

Medication side effects say "may cause appetite increase or weight gain" and the reason it says this is because the medication causes your brain to tell you "IM HUNGRY!" and that causes you to eat, when you dont actually need the food in your stomach. Which is WHY you gain weight. Your body is set to stay the same weight as an adult. That is ALL the food you need (at maintence) So when you eat too little, you lose and when you eat too much, you gain. Its your bodys natural way to say.. "what you are doing is wrong" You need to teach yourself to listen to what your BODY is telling you, not your brain. If your brain says "im hungry" listen to your body. Is your stomach growling? Do you have that familiar ping in your belly saying its empty? Check your watch or your journal? Have you just eaten an hour ago? Have you drank any water lately? All of these things are what you need to go by. This will teach you what you need to do, before you just run to the fridge and fill your body with food!

If you think about it, its kind of like a newborn crying baby. You assume its hungry, but after you have had the baby awhile.. you listen to it.. and you can determine the different cries and what the baby REALLY needs.. a burp, a change, a hungry cry thats different from a sleepy cry.

I wish you and your mother ALL the luck in the world & im here if you want to talk at a later date! Im also going through this with myself, but my mother as well.. she fell & broke her hip 2 months ago & we are going through recovery. She isnt overweight, however she needs exercise and like i mentioned before.. her potassium and other levels were so low, she almost died!! So, im working with her on the nutrition stuff! Again, im here if you would like to send a FR and talk sometime! =) I currently do not log because im super busy with mom, but im here daily to chat and im still losing weight... i just keep a journal here at home right now.

Good luck! Here are my pics!

8cce8b86-2198-4bb1-ae6e-09abcf5bf518_zpsf7c15000.jpg

that picture was starting weight (not heaviest) 233 pounds and then again at a weight of 197 pounds.

0cd26f0f-c6d3-4b92-8e26-d0b05890a3f1_zps267cae89.jpg

and the belly pic was starting at 220 pounds) and then again at 190 pounds!

I am currently at 180.8 pounds & have no idea what weight I plan on being at. I refuse to let a number on a scale define me!!

:flowerforyou:
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    WOW I didn't think I would get more than a few responses! Thank you everyone this is amazingly helpful. I'm going to get her to read through these sometime this week and I may get in touch with a few of you as well.

Luckily we live in Canada, so she's able to go to the doctor to be cleared for exercise, and there are some lung clinics she can go to.

She's just getting the hang of using her new laptop, so I will eventually see if she is interested in MFP, but for now it's just pen and paper for her logging.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    WOW I didn't think I would get more than a few responses! Thank you everyone this is amazingly helpful. I'm going to get her to read through these sometime this week and I may get in touch with a few of you as well.

Luckily we live in Canada, so she's able to go to the doctor to be cleared for exercise, and there are some lung clinics she can go to.

She's just getting the hang of using her new laptop, so I will eventually see if she is interested in MFP, but for now it's just pen and paper for her logging.

Logging takes a lot of time. Im not as "connected" as most people, so pen & paper works better for me while im busy... when i was doing nothing but sitting on my butt.. this worked great! But NOW that im super active.. i dont have time! LOL! Please tell her we are proud of her also!! :drinker:
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have Fibro and it floors me a lot. I suffer with pain most of the time, i am really fighting to lose the weight but i am determined i will not let the Fibro win this battle. Please add me, it would be nice to have other friends who have fibro, someone who understands when i say i am hurting and wont judge me or say i am just moaning for the sake of it. Hugs to you all x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    show her the film "forks over knives"

healthy plant based vegan diet, and daily short walks and stretching.

I couldn't be more cave woman. I don't think there's a need to go vegan!
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue Syndrome. I have been able to lose 40 lbs since January 2013. I try to stay within my macro's on MFP and exercise at least 1/2 hour a day. I also try to eat lots of fruit, vegetables, and lean protein each day. I started off by just walking, but I now also do the elliptical 3 days a week and take a water aerobics class one day a week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!