The dreaded scale

Options
So I was wondering how often people usually step on the scale. I had been getting on daily, but after seeing little improvement and periodically some minor weight gain on a daily basis I'm a bit discouraged. I am also aware that your weight can change a bit on a daily basis. Do you recommend to hide the scale and weigh on a weekly or monthly basis? Daily? I just know that after working hard on planning my foods and then exercising and seeing a slight gain is the perfect combination that can discourage me and lead me off track and I'm trying hard not to do that. I'm determined to stay focused. Thanks!

Replies

• dymaxxion
    dymaxxion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am one of those daily scale watchers and know EXACTLY what you mean! Someone should hide mine! (or toss it out the window, or bury it...)

I think most people will recommend weighing in once a week.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I weighed myself everyday. That wreaked havoc on me mentally not seeing the scale move for sometimes up to 2 weeks. I then did it once a week and the worked out better, but I still fluctuate immensely lol especially during TOM don't even go near the scale! Now I just stick to measurements once a month as my weight loss indicator and only step on the scale periodically to update my ticker! Hope that helps!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have a scale obsession. I have to use only measurements once a month. I did take a starting weight. Here is my issue. In the throes of losing weight, I will weigh myself in the am, after going P, if there is a BM, all the better. Haircuts help, too. Never after a meal.

But it's all false. An oncoming period can skew my weight and then I lose t he desire to work at my weight. The weight in the digestive tract can throw things off. There are too many variables.

Or if the scale shows me down, I start starving myself. So I don't own one and my pool doesn't have one.

It really derails me, so I avoid the scale.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I do nearly every day, and oh yes when there is an up fluctuation it's so disappointing! But do keep reminding yourself of all the factors. Constipation is a big one and so is water, salty foods, and TOM. If you do every day, do it at the same time, in the morning after potty break. If you forget, skip that day. If you find yourself too stressed to do every day, make it once per week, in the morning as well.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Once a week weigh-in for me, and no more. I don't care to see the daily fluctuations and like the pay-off of seeing a bigger loss after a week's time. I guess we just have to choose for ourselves what we prefer.