Breakfast basics?

Options
What is better to eat for breakfast- protein or carbs? I have been told both and I just wanted to see what everyone else eats. Thanks!

Replies

• Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly lazy so eat Belvita breakfast biscuits every day. They're about 400 kcal but it means I don't have to prepare anything, I can eat them wherever I want, and I don't have to wash anything up. So carbs is the answer there.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I alternate between greek yogurt/applesauce and scrambled eggs. I haven't noticed a huge difference in the scale or how I feel later in the day either way. And yeah, I know greek yogurt is "technically" a protein, but once I add the applesauce, well, it's like eating a bowl of custard. Sooo good!
  • trialstyle
    trialstyle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal- Bob's Red Mill. It's a whole grain and Gluten free rolled oats. I throw in a hand full of walnuts and good to go, I also use a bit of unsweetened Almond milk to make it creamy. It's a complex carb so it's better for you.
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I pair them together at most meals. Breakfast is usually one egg in some form (fried or hard boiled) and grits or 1 piece of whole grain toast.
    http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/if-pairing-protein-carbs-helps-build
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I eat both. It just really depends on what you have going on and what your goals are. I eat eggs and oats with berries every day during the week. I do bigger cooked breakfasts on the weekends with bacon and eggs and such. I always have fruit of some kind with breakfast. On Saturdays I make sure I have a banana or apple or something with my breakfast to give me a good sugar kick for my 10AM lifting session...otherwise, mostly a berry guy.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I eat fat free greek yogurt with fruit nearly every day (I'm not a big breakfast fan). It's an even balance of carbs and protein.

If I'm working out in the AM I'll go with toast with cheese or peanut butter, for a bigger carb boost.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I eat Porridge... with a bit of fresh fruit thrown in..

It's the only time i have milk during the day.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yeah, depends on goals. If I ran hard the day before, I might be sure to up protein at breakfast (and all day) to make sure I have enough for muscle repair--a 2 or 3 egg omelet with cheese is my go-to breakfast then. If not, or if I'm going to run later, I might concentrate more on carbs and have oatmeal and/or toast.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 15 grams of protein in, or else i'm hungry an hour or two later
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual. My husband's breakfast smoothies are frozen berries, a banana, orange juice and either chia or flax seeds. That keeps him going all morning, but I would drop dead after an hour and a half. Mine are protein powder, almond milk, frozen berries/other fruit, and chia/flax. He doesn't like my smoothies - he says they make him feel heavy.

You have to try different things and see what works best for you :)
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have to have both, or I feel sick. I usually am heavier on the protein than the carbs, though. Eggs and whole grain toast are a good combo for me.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I try to change it up actually and create a balance between both.

Most days I will have either oatmeal or bran flakes type cereal. A banana cut up, and about 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter. Though if it's the weekend and I feel like cooking a bit, I will have eggs, a piece of whole grain toast with natural peanut butter on it.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like toast with melting, gooey peanut butter on top, and a yogurt on the side.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I eat food for breakfast. Food that's rich in protein, carbs, and fats. At least 600 calories of breakfast every day. I vary between yogurt, cottage cheese, meat and eggs, tofu, bread, fruit (in smoothies), nut butters, hard ripened cheeses, smoked fish, etc.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast is a cheese omelette with ketchup on top and vanilla yogurt with granola. I find if I don't have the slight protein boost early in the day, I'm starving later
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Full fat Greek yogurt, with some berries and some grape nuts is a favourite of mine. Some carbs, fat and protein. Keep me going for a while, or 2 eggs on one slice of wholemeal toast, so protein and complex carbs and some fat again. If I don't have some prptein at breakfast the day is generally down hill! I definitely need some to start my day!

Zara