I can't stop drinking Diet Coke!

Options
The one thing that may not add to my weight but I just wish I could give up is diet coke. I've tried half heartedly to drink more coffee, etc. but I still come back to it. I know tea is great and would like to drink that but there is something about the taste of diet coke that I keep coming back to. Any suggestions???

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Possibly the fizz. I have a sodastream so that I can carbonate my water before adding crystal light to it. Now I find I rarely want a soda, although I don't stop myself from having one occasionally. I should add I also take GNC Womens Ultra Metabolism & Energy Multivitamin.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Stop torturing yourself by trying to quit. Just drink the diet coke. There are worse things lol
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to quite all at once and all together just cut back on it and drink 1 or 2 a week. That way you aren't depriving yourself but you aren't drinking it all the time. Another thing you could do which is something I do, is tell yourself you can't have the soda til you have drank at least 8 cups of water that day. Most likely by the time you reach that you won't want the soda any more.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Just go cold turkey. Don't keep it at your house, don't go out to eat until you can choose not to order one. Don't use it as a reward for anything. Just quit drinking it. The sweetener in diet sodas cause you to crave real sugar, as well as soft drinks are just plain bad for your body. You will likely have headaches and feel somewhat sick the first week or so due to your body detoxing from the caffeine and other junk in Diet Coke, but once you get past that you will feel so much better without it. I used to drink a lot of soda, both diet and regular. I haven't had one in over a year now. I tried to drink one not too long ago and I couldn't even stand the way it felt in my mouth.
  • sueswan74
    sueswan74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same here! I drink diet coke all day long. I wish I didn't drink so much, but so far it is not interfering with my weight loss, so I will continue. It is just sooo good!
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Stop torturing yourself by trying to quit. Just drink the diet coke. There are worse things lol
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I had a serious love/hate relationship with coke zero. Just not buying it anymore and getting preggo helped me. I occasionally have one, but it's when I am out.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is my favorite thing to drink also. I didn't try to cut it out completely, but I've successfully cut it WAY down. I drink a lot more tea these days, and finally broke down and got a water filter so I can have that instead too. Now I pretty much only have diet coke when I eat out, which also isn't as much as it used to be.
  • charleb19
    Options
    Go cold turkey. I was a lifetime Diet Coke drinker and gave it up 2 months ago. When I'm DYING to have a Diet Coke I reach for a Crystal Light. And to combat the caffeine withdrawel, I upped my coffee for a while.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time - it's not causing any issues with me.

I gave it up early on to see if it helped. Started again after some months and there was absolutely no difference in my loss or the way I felt.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    1. I don't understand this addiction, first of all. It isn't Diet Cocaine.

2. If you can muster up a bit of self-control, why not just have one or two a day?

3. why do you feel the need to stop drinking it?
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i use to drink only diet coke/pepsi all the time i could drink 4 litres a day no problem and though i would never be able to live/operate without it, but march last year i just quit cold turkey by drinking more water with squash now i have the odd coke but can do weeks without it and i feel so much better now. It just takes a hell of a lot of willpower and it takes a good few months for any side effect/cravings to stop. Good luck to you.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Aspartame- Putting the "die" in diet since 1983! :D
  • Sarahmb1985
    Sarahmb1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was raised on diet coke, and for a few months I was drinking 2-3 cans a day for probably half of the week. I was hooked on the caffeine and I think the taste too so I know where you're coming from. I actually got to a point where the taste of it wasn't really all that great anymore. I switched to water and if I find that hard to drink I put some of the Mio flavoring in it. I will still have a diet coke every now and then but I have definitely cut back immensely. The first thing I wold suggest is simply not to buy it. Obviously you won't drink it if you didn't have access to it. Since you don't really want to just cut it out if you are a long time drinker (lol sounds like alcohol) try buying to mini bottles of it and only keeping one in the fridge at a time. Soda dehydrates you, so you are actually making yourself want more because you're body isn't getting hydrated. You can also try psychology on yourself. For example if you drink a second can in a day you can try biting into lemon or maybe something spicy so you start to associate something unpleasant with drinking soda. Believe it or not you can stop drinking soda, it is possible. =) Also, look up what aspartame is and how it was created. I found a page while I was in Chemistry class that had how all artificial sweeteners are created...ugh..just ugh.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I used to drink well over a 6 pack/day. Tea is gross to me. I drink coffee, but only in the morning.

I liked the fizz...so i started by finding some carbonated flavored waters that I liked (I went through a few before I found some that worked for me) I added one or 2/day of those.
    then I upped my exercise. Believe me, if you're sweating a ton, you'll grab water, not diet coke.
    Before I knew it I was craving the water, not the diet coke. I still drink it every so often (when I'm hungover especially lol) but go days without it.
    Good luck, you can do it.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You could start by alternating for 1 week 1 diet coke then 1 water. Then week 2 have 1 diet coke and 2 waters and so on ... Good luck !!

Meant to add that I used to drink 8 coffees a day and now only have 2. The rest of the time I have either water or fruit infusions ... I don't miss the caffeine at all and I don't get that 3pm sleepy syndrome either :)
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like Diet Coke with Splenda, but I have cut down too. I drink more iced tea and water. I drink a cup of coffee since I got a Keurig coffeemaker last year.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    1. I don't understand this addiction, first of all. It isn't Diet Cocaine.

2. If you can muster up a bit of self-control, why not just have one or two a day?

3. why do you feel the need to stop drinking it?

^ This.
  • elemkc
    elemkc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The one thing that may not add to my weight but I just wish I could give up is diet coke. I've tried half heartedly to drink more coffee, etc. but I still come back to it. I know tea is great and would like to drink that but there is something about the taste of diet coke that I keep coming back to. Any suggestions???

I gave it up cold turkey about a month and a half ago. I switched to flavored seagrams seltzer water. I like unsweet iced tea when I'm out but the fizz from the seltzer water totally helped me replace the soda.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    You can do it! I quit cold turkey six weeks ago and I had been a pop drinker since I was about 10 years old and I'll be 32 next month. The thing that made me quit is reading up on aspartame and how terrible it is for you body. It has formaldehyde in it! I could not believe it. Aspartame is in a lot of diet foods and drinks. Please do it for your health. For every study that aspartame is linked to health problems and neurological disorders there is 10 studies to disprove it, but I think there is some weight there, and I'm not willing to put that in my body anymore. It wasn't as bad as I thought either. I only had a headache for a few days and I took a Motrin in the morning and didn't even feel it after that. Good luck! Feel free to add me for support.