Roll Over Calories?

Options
iluvsparkles
iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
Sounds like a cheat I know... But this is the first time i have come upon this situation.
Yesterday i was eating normal, until I found out that i would be in the hospital all nite (not for me but my fiancee)... So along with worrying, i didnt get much sleep AND i was 500 under on my calories yesterday.
That brings me to this morning. I usually have a banana and cereal bar or something for breakfast, but this morning i broke down and had an everything bagel with cream cheese. Knowing i have to go back to the hospital asap after i get done here at work, i know there wont be a WHOLE lot of exercise to do, and ive already had half of my calories for today!
So, im not sure what you guys think...do the 500 i was under from yesterday virtually 'roll over' ? I know its not cell phone minutes, but i have been wondering.

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    Options
    Sounds like a cheat I know... But this is the first time i have come upon this situation.
    Yesterday i was eating normal, until I found out that i would be in the hospital all nite (not for me but my fiancee)... So along with worrying, i didnt get much sleep AND i was 500 under on my calories yesterday.
    That brings me to this morning. I usually have a banana and cereal bar or something for breakfast, but this morning i broke down and had an everything bagel with cream cheese. Knowing i have to go back to the hospital asap after i get done here at work, i know there wont be a WHOLE lot of exercise to do, and ive already had half of my calories for today!
    So, im not sure what you guys think...do the 500 i was under from yesterday virtually 'roll over' ? I know its not cell phone minutes, but i have been wondering.
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm not sure but I know you can "bank" calories on weightwatchers so maybe. I wouldn't count on it though!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No, they don't really. But I wouldn't stress over it too much. A few days of not being perfect won't ruin your efforts. You have enough to worry about with him being sick. I would just be mindful of it (which you obviously are since your asking!) And at least try and make healthy choices if you are going to go over your calories. I know... healthy may not be easy if your dealing with hospital food!! :laugh: But just do the best you can and then get back on track once he comes home.

Good luck and hope he is better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I wondered the same thing and was very displeased to find that they don’t. In the end there is a balance but if you are always playing catch up you will never have progress. I would suggest snacking on fruit and veggies for the rest of the day and trying to keep things as low as possible.

Best of luck and I hope everything works out at the hospital.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Your not really "banking" calories on WW, but yes, you get a set number of "extra" points each week. You can break them up and eat a few more points every day or you can save them all for one day and just go crazy! Haven't figured out how that really worked in the calorie counting world... but I would think it would be similar to a cheat day.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Your body's not on a 24-hour clock, so I say why not roll 'em over!?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to a certain extent, if you can even them out by the end of the week. But it's probably best not to think you can eat anything anytime and stick with healthier options/portions. I have a tendency to fall back into old habits quickly myself.
  • megalitz
    megalitz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i think you're good as long as you don't live your entire diet by that rule. :) get well soon to your fiancee!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Roll 'em over, it'll help give you a limit when you start seeing no point in trying to have one. There is nothing healthy in a hospital and I know it's tempting to tell your diet to get lost for the night when that happens. It's what I usually do with stuff like that.
  • arubabound
    Options
    Because you can "view" your total goal on excersise, can't you do the same with calories? for example if 1500 per day times 7 = 10,500 for the week....if you've eaten under one day can't you go over the next without actually being over your total for the week...for instance if I've excersised and earned 300 calories per day and didn't use them...why shouldn't I be able to go over my allottment on a fri or sat night? I think as long as you're not making permanent plans with Ben and Jerry (yes I WAS talking about ice cream) every night you should be ok
  • arubabound
    Options
    oh...and save your worry for your fiancee....not your diet!!! Hope he's better soon!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Just thought id let anyone who was wondering know that He is at home now, and doing much better after his surgury, however it may be a few days until he can join me in our butt-crack of dawn hike to the top of our mountain! And i went over calories by 100 yesterday. But i was working on no sleep so i figured it was ok :)
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    hope he makes a full recovery soon:smile:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I usually mix it up and have a high day then a low day, then a day where I'm right where I should be. It keeps the body guessing so it doesn't get too comfortable with it's current situation and stop losing. I try not to have a day that is WAY high or way low, but I think 500 extra calories this one time is not going to hurt your progress at all. It may actually shock your body into losing faster.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Easter was my first cheat day since I started in January. I didn't log foods, but I'm pretty sure I doubled my allowed calories! I worried all week and found I lost 3 lbs that week - I was so surprised. I am beginning to believe this "shock your body" thing. Think of it that way, just a shocking cheat day!
  • TwistedLiquid
    Options
    Your body's not on a 24-hour clock, so I say why not roll 'em over!?

your right your metabolism doesn't stop and start every 24 hours it is countually processing all the energy it needs as long as you don't stray too far week to week you should be fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    iluvsparkles,

I'm so happy you have your sweetie home safe and sound. This is a really great post that is helpful to all of us:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9519-you-don-t-have-to-be-perfect

Life happens. And it's okay to go over/under now and then. Just get back on track as soon as you can. You already have been given a 500 calorie deficit in each day when you have figured your goals and settings here on mfp: so it is better to go OVER than go under.

3500 calories = 1 pound
    So - to lose one pound you have to eat 3500 calories less than you "use"
    7 days X 500 calories deficit = 1 pound loss per week.