Unsure why I'm gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Read this!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Also, take measurements. They are more reliable than the scale!

Your weight fluctuates because of a lot of reasons and throughout the day.
    You also may retain water due to:
    TOM
    Muscle use water to repair after workouts (especially after increasing intensity or length your body is still getting used to it)
    sodium/carbs

Try the TDEE - 15/20% method. Be patient and give it some time! It does work. And you can eat much more and still lose!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    So what do you recommend I increase it to? I do not wish to gain muscle, just lose weight, for now.

i promise you are not going to gain muscle.
    Do you think 1200 is an adequate calorie allocation for a 5ft 5, 135lb girl who is exercising moderately then?

nope. you should not be netting below your BMR.

listen, I know I am not an expert, you don't have to take my word on any of this. search the forums for info about either of these topics and people way more qualified than I am will say the same.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you gained a pound of muscle. That's a good thing.

no it takes a LOT of work for women to put on muscle weight, and certainly not if we are eating at a deficit.

i've read this before, yet i'm losing weight and developing muscle while eating at a deficit...and the muscle wasn't there (well it was but like 2 years in the past...and i built it then while eating at a deficit)

the muscle wasn't there? or it wasn't as visible and toned as it is now? for example... i have great upper arm muscles, they are only now beginning to reveal themselves as I shed the overlying fat. It's not from exercise, I don't lift (i know i know i should). Even women who ARE working hard and eating at a surplus, it takes a lot of time time to build up muscle, we are so different from men in this way.

the first time i lost weight i was recovering from dislocating 13 bones in my left shoulder at the same time. I'd had three months off and suffered ongoing temporary paralysis in my left arm. I was lifting light and using only machines and there def was no muscle there beforehand and there def was afterwards. I'm probably an anomaly haha. Mind you, I was in the gym 6 days a week for 90 mins at time at that stage and this time i lost all the muscle tone for about 2 years so perhaps it was still kinda there because it's popped back awfully fast. Again, I gym, swim, play netball and do something 6 days a week so maybe I'm just working out right for my particular muscles. I was pretty fit as a kid and did gymnastics, ballet, swimming etc but that all fell apart when I was about 13 and got sick - surely my muscles weren't lying in wait 15 years lol.

Not meaning to discount the theory, just really wonder why mine are like 'oh hello' lol.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Sounds like you gained a pound of muscle. That's a good thing.

no it takes a LOT of work for women to put on muscle weight, and certainly not if we are eating at a deficit.

i've read this before, yet i'm losing weight and developing muscle while eating at a deficit...and the muscle wasn't there (well it was but like 2 years in the past...and i built it then while eating at a deficit)

the muscle wasn't there? or it wasn't as visible and toned as it is now? for example... i have great upper arm muscles, they are only now beginning to reveal themselves as I shed the overlying fat. It's not from exercise, I don't lift (i know i know i should). Even women who ARE working hard and eating at a surplus, it takes a lot of time time to build up muscle, we are so different from men in this way.

the first time i lost weight i was recovering from dislocating 13 bones in my left shoulder at the same time. I'd had three months off and suffered ongoing temporary paralysis in my left arm. I was lifting light and using only machines and there def was no muscle there beforehand and there def was afterwards. I'm probably an anomaly haha. Mind you, I was in the gym 6 days a week for 90 mins at time at that stage and this time i lost all the muscle tone for about 2 years so perhaps it was still kinda there because it's popped back awfully fast. Again, I gym, swim, play netball and do something 6 days a week so maybe I'm just working out right for my particular muscles. I was pretty fit as a kid and did gymnastics, ballet, swimming etc but that all fell apart when I was about 13 and got sick - surely my muscles weren't lying in wait 15 years lol.

Not meaning to discount the theory, just really wonder why mine are like 'oh hello' lol.

Of course there 'was muscle there'. If there wasn't you wouldn't even be able to move your arm!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) If you increase your calories, even if it's still below your TDEE, your metabolism needs time to catch up. So don't worry if the scale doesn't move for a few weeks. You'll like weight loss at a higher caloric goal in the long run. :)

2) Don't be afraid to gain muscle. Muscle gain doesn't mean you're going to be bulky or body builder muscley. Muscle is a good thing! It raises your metabolism and helps your body burn fat. Not to mention, you'll look great with developed muscles.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough. You need to be eating at least your BMR everyday and eating back the majority of your exercise calories on top of that too. So at least the 1400 calorie mark!

READ THIS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It explains how your body works and why you need to eat more to actually lose weight. Doesn't make sense does it! But it will if you take a little bit of time to read through some of the posts about BMR and TDEE, including the link above.

Good luck :) x