When can I start doing lower body again?

Options
I sprained my ankle last Monday playing tennis, and my weight training instructor told me absolutely NO lower body exercises for the week and no cardio. It's not a bad sprain, I could walk on it with almost no pain at all right from the very beginning, but it's still a little swollen and tender to the touch or if I move it the wrong way. Can anyone tell me approximately how much longer I'll have to wait until I can do lower body stuff again, or can I go ahead and do it now if I'm careful?

Replies

• TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would listen to your instructor, not random people on the internets.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    This is probably not sound medical advice -- in fact it's probably not advice at all, just an anecdote -- but I sprained my ankle pretty badly last year and was back to running (slow and straight) two days later.

Of course, that was like the 5th time I've sprained that ankle, and it's always been an easy recovery after the first one. I could barely walk for several days after that one.

Just listen to your body -- if you can work out and it doesn't feel too bad, it's probably fine.