Snacks are the cause of overweight people

Options
12346»

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Actually those of us with diabetes and really, anyone, is advised to snack. Actually eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day rather than 3 large ones has been shown to be more healthy. It depends upon what you are snacking on. If all you are eating are sweets and other junk food, then yes, snacking is not very healthy. If you are snacking on fruits, vegetables and other healthy food than it is a very healthy lifestyle.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Donuts = bad
    Fruit = good

Its all what the snack is, tell a diabetic they cant have their snacks, they'll either be very grumpy, or fade away
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think nobody ever got fat snacking on raw fruits and veggies. It's entirely likely that an increase in obesity could be linked to an increase in snacking if what we're feeding ourselves and our children is loaded with fat and sugar and is nutritionally void. Which, unfortunately, it is a lot of the time. I don't think snacking in and of itself is bad, if you're choosing healthy balanced choices.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had many snacks as a child, and I was very thin. But I did like a million sports as well. I stopped sports in college, that's the reason. Not snacking.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Definitely your opinion. My husband believes the exact opposite. He snacks all the time and maintains his weight.

For me, I feel more satiated after have a "real" meal then having a snack. I also ain't got time to eat a snack like every hour or two because of work and school.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think that's BS. I eat snacks, regularly, and I'm steadily losing weight. Most of the people I know who are losing weight do the same thing.
  • Ladeda95
    Ladeda95 Posts: 1
    Options
    Exercise and eating a well balanced diet has never helped me become thin. I found out why when I entered my early 30's and was diagnosed with a hormone condition. In my early 20's I did experience rapid weightloss when I lived internationally in a community that served me non-genetically altered/hormone injected food. This diet was a high carb diet which is the opposite of what medical professionals are telling me to eat. I suspect hormones and chemicals are having a greater impact on our obesity rates than even our govt and medical professionals realize. When I returned to Canada I instantly put the weight back on even though I tried replicating their diet as best I could here in Canada and was exercising more than I did there, biking 30+ miles per day.
  • mlambrix
    mlambrix Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I drop my daughter off at high school its very sad to see all the fat kids. These phones and facebook and them eating a bunch of processed crap is the cause of it. Parents are working their butts off and too tired to cook a proper meal. These pizza places are so cheap and fast its crazy!!! Kids need gym everyday in school!! We snacked all the time but it was a different time back in the 70's and 80's we were all thin most of us with the exception of a few kids.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    that could be part of it. but parents also need to make their kids get out from infront of the tv and actually play outside and run around. i think a lot of factors have to do with it. the ingredients in foods, activity levels, education about food, resources, etc. its sad that obesity is such a problem. i've never been overweight before, nor have my mom or sister but my dad did gain a lot of weight after he blew his knee out, couldnt run for a bit and still ate the same (he runs multiple marathons). but we were always an active family, my dad had my sister and i running in little kid races when we were 5 years old lol and i ran cross country and track until i was 19 and couldn't run anymore because my knee was so messed up. but yes, snacking could be part of it, but we need to look at the whole picture. it's sad when i am out, and a large percentage of people i see are overweight, almost like it is now the norm.
  • wayray60
    wayray60 Posts: 1
    Options
    Snacks especially sweets and cakes are a factor for being overweight.
  • Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    I think it is a combo of many things but when I was younger in the elementary age range, you had to beg me to come inside the house for food or anything. It was school then outdoor stuff until dark, no such thing as video games etc. Ate lunch at school no snacks nothing. Lunch was portion controlled of course. But today you cant get kids to go outside anymore too many video games, social media etc, kids today dont want a new bike for their birthday they want Halo or other games etc.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    At our primary school the kids eat morning tea and lunch, but they are also required to bring in a "10 o'clock snack" which they eat at their desks whilst working, and it has to be fruit or veg. Next to no fat kids there.