Another diet question

Options
I've been a on and off again weight watcher, since finding this site I've been tracking ww pts and keeping an eye on the calorie count up there.
My question is....what do you guys do to lose weight?
Those of you who just do the calories here, do you lose and is it consistent?
The reason I ask is because I'm tired of tracking both, I'd like to be able to come here and list my food and go on.
So give me your thoughts and let me know.

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This DOES work, I lost 60lbs with MFP, but then I became somewhat of a drunk and gained it back..lol

Back again to do it all over again!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    This was the only thing I used and it was absolutely amazing. You need to be committed, as with anything else, but if you are the tools here will work for you.
  • kimluber
    kimluber Posts: 3
    Options
    This WORKS! I have been an athlete all my life and have never counted calories...
    So I wasnt really sure if this would work, by following the calorie intake this suggested I lost 1 lb. every week just like it said!
    I still make sure to do cardio/ weights 3-5 times a week, but just by losing 6 lbs. I can tell a difference in how I feel and the way I look! Best of Luck! I say... get rid of Weight Watchers...!! LOL
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just use MFP. It makes it so simple for me. It has been a little over 2 months now, and at least 32 lbs off, (weigh in day tomorrow). I have never had any luck with any other program. Would loose 5-10 lbs and give up. My first 2 weeks, I only counted the calories. Then I changed it to the calories, fiber, protein, carbs and sodium. I am loving it!
  • jcarker
    jcarker Posts: 14
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds before finding this site. Low fat, and low carbs did it for me.
  • kmassey
    kmassey Posts: 5
    Options
    I done weight watchers and lost 48 pounds, it works. Now I'm attending the meetings for encouragement and accountability to someone other than myself, but i am counting calories here. I've basically cut out my processed foods and with ww i was eating to many of them. I want just not to lose a few more pounds but to be lean as well. Either way has worked for me, just be loyal to yourself.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am also a former WW (and a drunk, too lol) and have found it such a relief to stop counting points and just track calories and nutr. info.

I lose about a pound a week and eat some really good stuff.

I figure calorie counting will never go out of style, right?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I was doing this and ww for a few days to compare to see what I liked better and last week I quit ww to come here. I find the calories way easier to track and more realistic. I have lost 1.6 lbs in 5 days using MFP but my official weigh in isn't till thurs.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I count my calories - that's the main thing. I try to meet my protein & fiber everyday, drink tons of water, and I exercise. This has consistently worked for me the last 20 lbs! :happy:
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    I find this much more user friendly than counting pts & to be honest - its a little addicting which is a good thing- good luck!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I think I'm going to give up the ww pts and go by the calories. I am totally committed to this, I'm doing the couch to 5k every other day, and getting some form of exercise in on the off days.
    Any for you drunks and former drunks, thanks for the giggles, I think I'll keep my occasional margarita
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    My doctor told me if you count your calories, everything else will take care of itself. I can't imagine trying to track everything.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I am currently doing the same thing and its wearing me out. We are almost finished with our WW at Work series so I guess I wont be rejoining. Plus MFP is FREE! I love it and I think it is way more user friendly. I think if we do what works for us thats all that matters, right? Good luck! I have decided today only MFP no more eTools. Whew :tongue:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The ONLY way to lose weight is to eat less calories than your body burns. Simple! Basically WW is another version of calorie counting, using points instead.

You should find out how many calories you need to survive - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Then create a deficit, either through food or exercise (ideally both) of 250-500 calories per day.

You will lose a pound when you have a deficit of 3500 calories (a week of creating a 500 calorie deficit).

Really this is the easiest and cheapest way to go about it!
  • JustGizzy
    JustGizzy Posts: 38
    Options
    I to have bee bouncing back and fourth between WW online tools and this and I really think I am gonna give up the WW online cause this one is so much better IMHO....I really was getting tired of the points program and was falling away from it anyway and I think this site is aditcing and I find myself in here more then I ever was on WW..Lots to read and so many nice folks....Now Maggie please don't stop coming to my group my dear..I may have to change the name of it now tho..lol..

Hugz
    Giz:smile:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic tool, and the only one I've used. If you use it properly it works.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    IMHO this way is better than WW.

I know what I am eating. I am aware of the calories in each thing that I eat, the fat, the carbs.....

With WW they did the thinking for me and when I lost 10 pounds quickly regained when I could not afford the meetings.

This is a way of life for me now. I have been been ridden for 2 weeks recovering from heart surgery. I have counted calories for maintence reasons (put in maintain, at sendentary) I have actually lost 1 pound!

Good luck to you!!
  • shellybressler
    shellybressler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What it boils down to is you have to want to do it... I have lost 23 pounds by cutting back on my calories and exercising 3 to 5 days a week... And I am not going to lie it has been really hard. But the saying goes if it was easy everybody would do it. For example... I have a really good friend who wants to do the body wraps and go to a diet doctor for "Magic" pills. I have been trying to tell her those might help in the short term but unless you change your eating habits nothing is going to work. This site is a great tool for me because it keeps me accountable and Lord knows I need accountability... Good Luck with your weight loss and I hope this site works for you as it has worked for me... :)