Cost of food!!!

So the cost of food is outrageous and being a single mom of two I have to put my children first. I cook healthy and nutritious dinners for us, but much of my grocery shopping revolves around providing lunches and snacks for my children. I buy them things that are good for school lunches, such at sandwiches, crackers, string cheese, fruit, veggies and granola bars. Providing them with these things for five days a week is very expensive and I have little money left over to provide myself with healthy nutritious lunches and snacks and if I eat my children's food they don't have what they need for the week? Any suggestions?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I don't know much about packing lunches for kids, but I know it's a lot easier to save on groceries when you can get some of your fruits and veggies from the frozen aisle. They aren't quite as tasty as the fresh stuff, but it is much easier to manage it since it won't spoil and it is a lot cheaper. It is still way better for you than eating out or getting stuff that's more processed.

There are also some things that come dried, like beans, that are really cheap and good for you.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Check to see if you have Bountiful Baskets in your area. It is a food co-op and you get a laundry basket's amount of fruits and veggies for $15! www.bountifulbaskets.org
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Maybe you would save more of you didn't think in terms of having separate food for them and you. There are plenty of healthy things that could be packed in school lunches, and with all the heating/cooling containers out there, they could eat their lunches hot or cold. You would be doing them a favor by setting the same healthy standards for them as you do for yourself.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Sometimes it can help the budget to make things from scratch. Yogurt is pretty easy to make (a little putsy to start, but then just need a place to keep it warm - an insulated cooler can do the job). Add your own fruit or other flavoring. Granola bars are also doable - pick ingredients based on availability and price - start with old fashioned oatmeal and honey or syrup (again, whatever is best price), add dried fruit and nuts and coconut or whatever, press into a cookie sheet and bake at a low temperature in the oven til they start getting "crispy" (not too different from making rice krispy treats, but healthier ingredients). Instead of buying lunch meat, cook a big roast, some chicken or other fowl and slice up for sandwiches. There may be entitlement programs you qualify for that can provide basics, like cheese and milk. Nothing wrong in my opinion with PB&J sandwiches, either.