Post-Specific Advice

Options
Hey everyone. (I KNOW what you're thinking, great another post of another idiot who starved themselves. WELL that's the point of the community forums isn't it? for those who know nothing to get advice from those who have great supplies of knowledge and perhaps first hand experience?) So if you're sick of these post, might as well not read it. I don't need any insults or crap for this, just support and advice. :)

I've been on MFP for years but just got into it in January, trying to get in better shape and lead a healthier lifestyle overall. I have had a tough time losing weight, I got caught up in the 1200 calories a day crap and have literally been trying variations of that since January. I also was working out 5-6 days a week and usually not eating back any of my exercise calories, so usually netting around 800-900. But honestly, it led to overeating on weekends, being cranky and devastated every time I would step on the scale and haven't lost anything. There were even weeks when I followed it religiously and nothing came of it. It got to the point where the "diet" literally ruled me, it governed everything I did and I got really crazy about it, to the point where it was not healthy for my mind! I've taken the last couple weeks to forget the diet, just eat and not thinking about counting calories and do some research to figure out where to go from here. I would like to get back on the horse next week, as summer is coming soon and that has been my goal since January, to lose weight and tone up for the weeklong trip I take every year to Lake Powell and spend a week in a swimsuit!

So here's my info:

5'8''
158 lbs
25 years old
lightly active (I work a desk job but exercise 5 times a week, 20 mins of cardio and lifting so I'd say that's pretty accurate for my activity level, since I was saying that I was "sedentary")
My goal weight is around 130, but honestly, the number doesn't matter as much to me as losing the fat around my belly (where I carry ALL of my body fat it seems!) and thighs. (most of my excess fat I have actually toned off of my arms and some off of my legs so there has been SOME progress!)

I calculated my BMR as 1538, TDEE 2115. With a 20% deficit this puts me at 1692 calories a day.

I could really use some advice of people who have gone through similar situations or people who have more knowledge on this. I hate feeling so discouraged and really want to make sure that this time I am making the right decisions. Thanks for the support! :)