HUGE Muscles!

jenners22
jenners22 Posts: 91
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been carrying 200+ pounds for almost ten years now. My gastrocnemius and soleus muscles are huge. When I flex and push on the muscle...it's solid (unlike the upper parts of my legs, they got lots of flab). My question: Since I am doing cardio and squats and circuit training...will those muscles get bigger or is there any hope that they will shrink...because they are part of all my workouts. I don't do calf raises but those suckers are solid.

Help?

Replies

• nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    I dont have an answer but I love pilates. I cant do the tough stand up stuff. I do Windsor Pilates Butt and Thigh it helps lengthen then muscle instead of growing it. So you look leaner.

I hear you on the calf muscles. I'm just under 5ft and I look like a football player. I have never worn shorts unless im in a pool.
  • Now I don't know for a fact, but my thought is the muscles are definately toned from carrying the wight. You don't need to focus on those muscles right now, but as you loose weight you will want to exercise them so that you don't loose them completely and have to build them up again. They should naturally go down according to how much you use them.
  • I'm 5" and have had "shapely" calves my entire life. Your muscles will only grow so big so I wouldn't worry about them. And they will get small to some extent at you lose weight. I also agree with Pilates it is a great workout, it's tough but it helps to tone and lengthen your muscles. It was created for dancers afterall.
  • jenners22
    jenners22 Posts: 91
    Thanks for the advice. I definetly do not focus on them...but they do more work than any other muscle ( minus the heart of course). I have started yoga but if I can find a good pilates dvd...that would be great.

any suggestions? and mari windsor drives me nuts, fyi. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.