How to measure food

Options
2»

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Measuring food usually isn't the healthiest way to go about changing your eating habits. Just eat until you're full. Nothing more, nothing less. :smile:

I now treat my body like my bank account. And you could never do this with demand or timed deposits. Oh, you can try... and get slapped with a NSF charge.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm confused when it comes to the right measurements of food intake.. Can anyone explain a simple way of measuring? * No I don't have a food scale*

Get a digital one if you can.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Measuring food usually isn't the healthiest way to go about changing your eating habits. Just eat until you're full. Nothing more, nothing less. :smile:

Gee, if I could have done this to begin with, I wouldn't have been fat in the first place.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Sooooo.....why are you here?

RR-drool_thumb.gif
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options

If I did that, I'd still be in the same position I was when I started. Because that's how most people eat before they go on a diet...

I suppose what I said was misunderstood. Measuring food isn't always the healthiest way to go about things. Putting something on a food scale or taking out a measuring cup every single time you eat just doesn't sound like a good mindset to have. Eating in moderation and eyeballing measurements sounds like a better approach.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If I did that, I'd still be in the same position I was when I started. Because that's how most people eat before they go on a diet...

I suppose what I said was misunderstood. Measuring food isn't always the healthiest way to go about things. Putting something on a food scale or taking out a measuring cup every single time you eat just doesn't sound like a good mindset to have. Eating in moderation and eyeballing measurements sounds like a better approach.

Except most people are not sure what portions of certain foods look like. Measuring and weighing is good practice for the brain to start recognizing these things. It takes time, so even though it is a pain in the butt..it is worth it. If we could all just do what you are saying...we wouldn't have to count calories.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

1 tablespoon of peanut butter is on average 100 calories. What I used to think was one table spoon of peanut butter was in fact closer to 2...therefore...200 calories and it all starts to add up. It's the little things like this and "eyeballing" that puts someone way over or way under. Measuring keeps things more accurate.

I'm not saying bring a food scale every where you go, but if you're at home and you have the option...why not take it. It's actually very easy.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My eyeballing is pretty accurate...but it took two years of measuring to get to that point :). OP..until you get scales which are best option..there is graphic ways of determining portions...palm size protein...thumb from knuckle to tip equals tablespoon etc. A friend sent me diagrams she found on the internet but i dont have them anymore. Not exact but what I liked about the idea was that it was always available lol but perfectly portioned for your body! However scales are best...I recently after checking myself..had to up protein because I was underestimating it...can't have that, no wonder I was hungry.