Healthy suggestions for sweetening plain yogurt or greek?

Yesterday, I tried some granola with some plain yogurt and a bit of fresh fruit. The granola was the only good part, as my fresh fruit was not even sweet, even though it appeared ripe. The plain yogurt reminded me of sour cream giving my snack a bitter taste. I have the same problem with greek yogurt. I can eat plain yogurt incorporated into a fruit smoothie or on my baked potato, but I cannot seem to eat it with fruit and granola. What am I doing wrong or missing? Does anyone else think that plain yogurt is blah? The fruit and granola just did not help to jazz the yogurt up, it still tasted bad to the point where I just wanted to eat the fruit and the granola minus the yogurt. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Not a fan of greek or plain yoghurt - I tend to drizzle a little bit of honey over the top and that sweetens it up, as long as you plan it into your daily calories it's not the end of the world. Especially if it means you get more portions of fruit eaten.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    I love greek yogurt. For a snack this afternoon I mixed 1 table spoon of creamy peanut butter into a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt and then dipped apple slices in it, so yummy. I really like Fage 0% fat freek greek yogurt.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Ripe fruit and good honey is best on Greek yogurt, also with some cinnamon. But you can also use a spoonful of jam (this is basically what the flavored yogurts are). You get to choose which kind of jam, how sweet, and how much. I LOOOVE Greek yogurt (and am lucky enough to live in Greece). After eating it for so many years, I can eat it plain (I don't usually, but can easily). mmmmm!
  • Yesterday, I tried some granola with some plain yogurt and a bit of fresh fruit. The granola was the only good part, as my fresh fruit was not even sweet, even though it appeared ripe. The plain yogurt reminded me of sour cream giving my snack a bitter taste. I have the same problem with greek yogurt. I can eat plain yogurt incorporated into a fruit smoothie or on my baked potato, but I cannot seem to eat it with fruit and granola. What am I doing wrong or missing? Does anyone else think that plain yogurt is blah? The fruit and granola just did not help to jazz the yogurt up, it still tasted bad to the point where I just wanted to eat the fruit and the granola minus the yogurt. Any suggestions?

I use honey or 1 square of grated plain chocolate. I also sometimes use truvia sweetener but I know some people don't like to use sweeteners.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    I've been adding a tablespoon of Polaner All Fruit With Fiber to plain greek yogurt along with some fresh fruit. It's delicious.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    I personally like to sprinkle a bit of a stevia (all natural sweetener) packet into it and stir well. I also sometimes add clear-mixing fiber to boost my fiber intake. Works for me. I had granola-greek yogurt-berry bowls twice this week for breakfast. Yum!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    I add a bit (1-2 TBL) of E.D. Smith jam or preserves into a cup of greek yogurt (Fage brand - not as sour as some I've tried) and it makes it plenty sweet for me - the jam is about 30-50 calories per TBL and I can control the amount I want to add. Fresh fruit didn't work as well when I tried it (blackberries), but wasn't awful. Some people use thawed frozen fruit successfully - I think the freezing allows better release of the natural fruit sugars (plus there may be added sugar - read the label). Honey and lemon or mashed (really) ripe banana might also be a good additive, but I haven't tried either.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Fage has the best greek yogurt! I have been getting Chobani, because it's cheaper, but as soon as I can afford Fage...

Anyway, I also sweeten mine with honey. I love adding either peanut butter and honey, or cocoa powder and honey. Cocoa powder + honey + chocolate protein powder + 8 oz of greek yogurt makes for an incredibly filling 300 calorie snack that, to me, tastes like chocolate pudding. It keeps me from craving anything else sweet for a while.
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    i have recently been adding pure protein whey vanilla powder to my plain yogurt. It was more about adding the protein that it was the taste but that is a bonus. Cheers!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    honey works but maple syrup I find is the best--if you use sugar free its super low calorie, but you really dont need much so even full calorie would be ok. a packet of calorie free sweetener, jam/jelly, or squeezing a orange slice and getting the juice into your your yogurt.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    I get the best price on Fage at Costco (for those of you in the USA). The tubs are about 4 cups/4 servings. I really like the idea of adding cocoa powder - I'm going to have to try that.
  • shiraleerussell
    shiraleerussell Posts: 3 Member
    I love adding canned fruit in natural juice to my granola and 0% Greek yoghurt. Anything from blackberries, to mandarin, to prunes, but I think my favourite is apricots. It is a nice texture, especially with a bit of syrup (although you don't have to add the syrup). Always available so no problems with fruit not being ripe - and fairly reasonably priced. May be worth a try to make your breakfast sweeter - but not sickly sweet?
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    I might have to try this!
  • amaysngrace
    Fage has the best greek yogurt! I have been getting Chobani, because it's cheaper, but as soon as I can afford Fage...

Anyway, I also sweeten mine with honey. I love adding either peanut butter and honey, or cocoa powder and honey. Cocoa powder + honey + chocolate protein powder + 8 oz of greek yogurt makes for an incredibly filling 300 calorie snack that, to me, tastes like chocolate pudding. It keeps me from craving anything else sweet for a while.
  • amaysngrace

I might have to try this!
  • amaysngrace
    I love adding canned fruit in natural juice to my granola and 0% Greek yoghurt. Anything from blackberries, to mandarin, to prunes, but I think my favourite is apricots. It is a nice texture, especially with a bit of syrup (although you don't have to add the syrup). Always available so no problems with fruit not being ripe - and fairly reasonably priced. May be worth a try to make your breakfast sweeter - but not sickly sweet?
    Sounds pretty good!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    I recently read about people adding some Mio into their plain greek yogurt, but I have yet to try it myself!