Quick Questions :)

Options
admaarie
admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
I just joined this site today, and I really like the idea of tracking the things that I eat, especially now that I am trying to live a healthier lifestyle/loose 10-15 lbs.

I'm 18, 5'5-5'6, and I'm currently 170 lbs ( I know >:( )

My calorie goal intake is 1200, but I have a quick calorie question.

so for example...Say I eat about 1000-1100 calories a day, and I burn at least 300-500 a day, would that guarantee weight loss?

Also, does anyone here use a calorie watch or something? I have no idea where I could find them, and I thought this would be the easiest way to calculate the amount of calories I burn because I don't own a treadmill, and most of my workouts will consist of walking/jogging.

Thanks!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Regarding the "calorie watch"--what you're looking for is a heart rate monitor, which you can get at a sporting goods store or at Walmart.

Regarding your calorie intake, the conventional wisdom says you need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories to avoid "starvation mode" (use the "search" function on MFP for more posts on this topic than you can shake a stick at), and then if you exercise, you need to "eat back" those calories as well (although many folks--including myself--will not eat back ALL of their exercise calories.) Again, search the boards for "eating back exercise calories" for multiple recommendations and opinions.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    This has helped me tremendously: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    With this plan, you do not eat back exercise calories.

Lift weights, too, if you have access.

P.S. For heart rate monitors, don't get one that you have to hold your finger on - get one with a chest strap. It's both more accurate and convenient.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) With so little to lose, don't expect fast results. Results are slower the closer you are to your goal.

2) Eating 1100 calories and burning 500 leaves you with a NET of 600. This is not healthy. Yes, it can cause fast weight loss, but it can also harm you. MFP is set up so that you eat your exercise calories back, not eating them can create too large of a deficit. Too large of a deficit over a prolonged period of time can slow your metabolism. It's a risky way to do things. Not saying you can't, just that it isn't recommended unless under close supervision of a doctor. The other problem with eating so little, is that say you stall out and stop losing. What are you going to cut from? Are you going to start eating 500 cals a day and burning 500 cals a day(very, very, very bad idea)?

3) I have a HRM w/chest strap and a fitbit zip. I use my HRM for my cardio workouts (got on amazon.com for $26). I wear my fitbit all day to get a better idea of how many calories I'm burning a day. The fitbit syncs with MFP and adjusts my calories according to the activity I have done that day. Nothing will be 100% accurate.

4) You might want to consider some sort of strength training. This will help you lose inches, make you stronger, and help you maintain your lean body mass. (you won't bulk) As you lose inches though your muscles will be more visible.

body+fat+example...jpg
  • admaarie
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips! I didn't realize as I was burning off calories that I was supposed to be eating them back, I'm super new to this whole working out/eating thing..like super new lol.

I will get a heart rate watch and make sure I am burning calories, and eating a majority of them back.

My goal is to be 10 pounds lighter by June! Hope I can do it.

As for exercise, right now all I have is walking & jogging .. I'm looking into going to the new by gym, and lifting no more than 5 lb weights until I build up my strength.

Any other simple workouts anyone else can recommend to me?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You could try the 30 day shred. You should be able to find it on youtube.
  • admaarie
    Options