Do you dip your fork?!

Options
Opera_Bound
Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
So as much as I hate to admit it - I LOVE ranch salad dressing. Prior to the start of my lifestyle change, I'd put it on EVERYTHING! No really, anything I could - chicken, hamburgers, veggies, salads, crackers, toast, etc.

Obviously, that's what got me to my starting weight in the first place! I've tried all of the olive oil/vinagrette dressings out there, but I just can't seem to find one that satisfies my need for salad dressing on my salads.

I've decided that if I use only 2 TBS of a low-fat/reduced-fat Ranch and simply dip the tongs of my fork into the dressing - I'll have some left over even on the biggest salads! I just ate about 3-4 cups of a homemade salad with radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots! I had the same thing yesterday with my baslamic and basil dressing (slathered on, mind you) and it was not NEARLY as tasty as it was today! I learned this 'trick' of dipping the fork when I was on Weight Watchers about 8 years ago. Back then, I don't think I had the mind-set or self-control to just 'dip' my fork. But now, I'd much rather just dip and get the full flavor than sacrafice the great veggies with a dressing I loathe.

Anyway - just an idea for any other ranch dressing lovers! I hope everyone is having a wonderful and healthy week!

Replies

• krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love ranch dressing......what a great idea...will have to try it....Thanks for the idea Opera.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    YES!! That was the first diet trick I learned and it works wonders.

I used to put 1/2 bottle of ranch or blue cheese on my salad. :noway:

I do not feel cheated at all and use less than 1 tsp-I tested it!!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    YEP! I'm a fork dipper, a trick I also learn from 3 years at weight watchers. I've never been able to give up ranch dressing so I had to try something.
    I've noticed when I've been eating out with friends they just pour on the dressing and I always get my on the side. When we are done you barely miss what I used out of the bowl.
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    OMG What an amazing idea. Why has no one mentioned this to me before??? I've been avoiding ranch this whole time!
  • papersparrow
    papersparrow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing idea. I've tried several of the oil-based dressings only to find they weren't satisfying, or that I hated the taste. I'm definitely going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing it, Opera :)
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fork dipper for sure....one of the tricks that definately learned from weight watchers :happy:
  • catrinav2005
    Options
    Wow that's an excellent trick! I've never ever thought about doing that but it makes so much sense! I'm starting to get sick of my fat-free raspberry vinaigrette. I need to go buy me some ranch!
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I've never mastered the fork-dip. Instead, I put my salad in a ziploc bag with a small amount of dressing (usually 1 serving or 1/2 of 1 serving) and then shake the bag like a crazy person. Then there's a small amount of dressing in every bite but the overall amount is completely controlled. :smile:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes. I dip as well.........I also like the zip lock bag idea (shake er up)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    dipper!:tongue:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Dipper here! One of the first things I started doing to change the way I eat salads. I also ask for no cheese or croutons sometimes.
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    MandyKay - I like the ziploc bag idea!! :flowerforyou: Think it might get put in the exercise database if you do a little booty shake with it too?! :wink:

Glad to see fellow former Weight Watchers friends that learned the trick as well! I really did love weight watchers but I just cant afford all the meetings and tools, along with my gym membership and healthy foods! C'est la vie! Thank GOODNESS for MFP!!! :drinker:

Just a tip for all those just trying it out now - be sure to MEASURE it out into a small dish or container so that you're really aware of how much is in 1 or 2 servings, and remember, a little bit goes a long way! :happy:
  • hawkeye01
    hawkeye01 Posts: 162
    Options
    Yep, like most everyone else I learned that neat trick from WW years back. While I don't do WW anymore, I continue to be a dipper.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Yep! Though just a little bit--I don't care much for dressings. I would rather taste the other excellent ingredients than just a whole glob of ranch (though I loveeeeeee me some ranch!).
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i love this method! i can eat a whole salad with less than 1oz of dressing now!!!!!!
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I make my own Ranch with Smart Balance Omega-3 mayo, SB Omega-3 sourcream (equal parts), 1 packet of ranch and enough skim or 1% milk to make it a proper consistency... I absolutely HATE low/no fat food products. The texture is all wrong and I find they don't satisfy me. The Omega-3 in SB products help raise your good cholesterol.

I'm not saying you should drink my ranch, but it does taste (and feel) really good. Little difference in it and the real thing.

Great job on the weight loss!
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    While I am a balsamic girl, I do occasionally enjoy ranch. I really like the Marzetti 100 calorie pack ranch dressings, I buy them anyway for my son to put in his lunch bag with crudites, so I will indulge ever so often. I think it's really tasty!!
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fork dipper. I've found though that if my salad is of high quality tasty ingredients- I barely use any dressing. Sometimes, I don't even get myself dressing.

I've also found that defrosting frozen strawberries and tossing them in my salad works wonders. The water from the ice crystals on the strawberries makes them slightly mushy so the strawberry flavor disperses itself throughout the salad.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've never been a ranch person... but I love blue cheese... not as a dressing though. I haven't been eating the foods that I normally put blue cheese on, so I'm ok... for now!!!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    OMG What an amazing idea. Why has no one mentioned this to me before??? I've been avoiding ranch this whole time!
    I know right? I've never heard of this, but I will do it from now on!! Ya learn something new everyday!