Replies

• RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honey bbq wings with ranch or bbq ribs :cry:
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A couple of yrs ago I lost a lot of weight and the whole time, I had a mocha moo-latte from Dairy Queen every Friday. (I think they are around 800 calories but don't quote me) Seriously thinking about starting that tradition up again! :happy:

Just wanted to add that I ate healthy most of the rest of the week, I was doing ww and I saved my weekly points for it. :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about cannibalism. Never mind

Me too... :(

I was hopeful that my ammunition stockpile would finally come in handy...
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    1. Sleep late tomorrow.

2. Get up, look at the clock, realize it's too late to have both breakfast and lunch.

3. Go out and have that Angus burger for lunch. Make it a small fry and a diet soda--if you've been on a deficit for a while, that burger is going to fill you up.

4. Go home and collapse for an hour or two.

5. When you can move again, get up and go for a long walk, run, hike, bike ride, or go to the gym for at least an hour.

6. Eat the calories you just earned exercising for dinner.

love this there's no point starving yourself. find a way to work it in, or I would make a version at home.
  • toots12
    toots12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Every now and then we can treat ourselves - if we deny ourselves everything we are going to regret our decision to start a weight loss program and by doing so build negative thoughts and feelings. I don;t see a problem once a fortnight - just be careful you don't get back to the "oh well I blew it - I may as well give up" attitude - rather think "Oh well I had a craving, I've eaten it, tomorrow is another fresh day." Good luck.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about cannibalism. Never mind

that is the only food I could think of that I'd classify as "the unthinkable"
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    undercooked yeast rolls dripping in honey butter

^^^ THIS.
  • Brownie_Slayer
    Options
    A bag of Doritos is my weakness. I have been known on occasion to eat an entire bag in one evening. At well over 1000 calories it was very regretable.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Crisp sourdough toast with cultured unsalted butter and sour cherry jam.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I would eat that cheeseburger! Wait in fact i do once a week.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A big red velvet cupcake slathered in cream cheese frosting from Crumbs Bakery...

Does it still count as a craving if I gave in? I was craving it, after all :laugh:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    remember your mind is like a 2 year old. this is nothing you can do anything about, it's how we all are.
    when we tell our unconscious we're not doing x, or we can never do x ever again.
    guess what we're thinking about? yes, whatever we said no to
    just like a 2 year old, who is running in the hall and we tell them not to run, all they heard was RUN.
    daycares all over the world know it works better to give positive instruction
    instead say we use walking feet,
    or in your healthy eating habits emphasizing how awesome our jerk chicken kabobs with grilled veggies
    is going to be. or whatever fantastic flavors you enjoy.focusing on eating. lots of tasty veggies, lean meats
    or whatever your diet is requiring, is much more effective than saying I won't eat fast food at this place.
    you need an alternative plan. just saying not to do it, doesn't tell your body what you're doing instead.
    it needs to be replaced with something. if you're quiting smoking, you don't just say, Im just not smoking anymore.
    when everyone goes for a smoke break, you go for a walk, or read, or chew gum. whatever works.

and if you're used to the food you love so much, like if you like ice cream, many people can teach themselves
    to just have a small serving , so it lasts longer, and they can have a little each day. making a big production in your mind of bad foods, clean foods, foods you can never touch again, this all just makes your unconscious want the cookies or ehatever it was.
    instead of hearing NO cookies, it heard COOKIES, and that's what it focuses on.

so try to mostly focus on what you CAN have, and realizing the food isn't evil, some of it makes efficient and long lasting fuel.
    and some of it doesn't.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings. Luckily for me, the best place to get wings is a 50 minute drive.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Every so often I do have something that I really want. It might be cake, or a takeaway meal (I just love not having to cook or wash-up). I do go to McDonalds/Burger King on occasion too - I usually have a kids meal or something light, but sometimes I'll just go for what I want.

It's fine on occasion. One thing to remember is that to lose weight, you just need to be under your TDEE, not your goal. The closer you are to your TDEE, the slower you'll lose weight. If you have that big treat and are still under your TDEE for the day, you are still losing weight for that day. If you go over your TDEE, then you won't lose weight just for that day, and you might have slowed your weight loss for the next day too. It's not a big deal.

If you're on 2lb a week weight loss with MFP, you'd have to eat an extra 1000 calories on TOP of your goal to mean that you weren't losing weight that day*. If you ate a meal of 1500 on top of your goal, you wouldn't lose weight that day, and you'd have slower weight loss the next day. Over a week or a month, it wouldn't make much difference. And in practice, I find that I never have those treats on top of my goals. Usually if I eat a big meal for lunch, as somebody suggested, I won't eat much in the evening.

I feel it's better to indulge ever now and then and slightly slow your weight loss, if it helps to keep you on the plan.

(*I know losing weight isn't linear, but I find it simpler to think of it that way).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing I could eat that would have a high enough caloric content to keep me from eating for the rest of the day.

I eat when I'm hungry, and if I have a massive craving, I indulge it. Yay for sustainability!

:drinker:
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been craving a burrito for like 2 weeks?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing I could eat that would have a high enough caloric content to keep me from eating for the rest of the day.

I eat when I'm hungry, and if I have a massive craving, I indulge it. Yay for sustainability!

^^^^ this

and not just for sustainability... but because many cravings are your body's way of telling you something is missing from your diet. So if I start craving (for example) fast food restaurant burgers, a) I'll eat one and b) I'll ask myself what I'm not eating that's making me crave burgers... maybe I'm not getting enough healthy fat, so I'll make more effort to get that. No more cravings. Until the next time, then I do the same. And it doesn't happen often, maybe once every couple of months, usually following a period of not tracking and/or not paying enough attention to getting healthy fat and micronutrients.

A rough guide:

craving fatty foods usually means you're not getting enough healthy fat, or it could be that you're not getting enough calories overall. Or both.

craving sweet foods may be an indication you're not getting enough carbs, or maybe you're not getting enough vitamins (we're primates, most primates eat fruit, fruit is sweet, fruit is full of vitamins that primates need, it's a reasonable suggestion that primates crave sweet things to make them eat fruit to get vitamins)

craving specific comfort foods is more likely to be psychological, but even if you know you're prone to psychological cravings, don't rule out the possibility that your diet is deficient in something as well, because food cravings can have both a physiological and a psychological origin.

Note: my advice is to indulge the craving (while observing good portion control) AND figure out what your body might not be getting enough of, not doing one instead of the other. Excessive restriction does not work for most people. Purely psychological binge eating may be an exception, but a lot of people who think they have a psychological binge eating problem actually have a chronic undereating problem and are in a cycle of bingeing and excessive restriction, more restriction generally makes that problem worse.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I saw the title and for a minute thought this was going to be about cannibalism.."I have cravings for human flesh. Do you think I could be in starvation mode?" Surely eating that Cinnabun wouldn't be as bad as cannibalism!

emily stew? yes please.

tumblr_marlsdau4E1qcetw3.gif

see what i did there.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    1. Sleep late tomorrow.

2. Get up, look at the clock, realize it's too late to have both breakfast and lunch.

3. Go out and have that Angus burger for lunch. Make it a small fry and a diet soda--if you've been on a deficit for a while, that burger is going to fill you up.

4. Go home and collapse for an hour or two.

5. When you can move again, get up and go for a long walk, run, hike, bike ride, or go to the gym for at least an hour.

6. Eat the calories you just earned exercising for dinner.

This lady knows what's up.