Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to log walking in place?

There's already an option for jogging in place, but none for walking in place - so how do I log that? And I don't mean pacing around a room, but literally walking in place (like while I work at my computer). Thanks so much!

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    you don't as that burns next to nothing above your bmr.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I personally would not log it. It's kind of like logging walking from your car into the grocery store, from the house to the driveway, etc. those are just things I personally wouldn't log.... HOWEVER if you feel you want to log it, I do believe you can create your own activity under the exercise log but since you probably cannot measure the calorie burn, I would probably just write it in the exercise notes section to keep track of your activities?

That's all I got.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Why does walking in place not burn calories? i get what @pannelikat means about short walking, but if I'm walking in place for 45 minutes, why doesn't that count at all (but other walking does)?
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Whenever I have a weird activity I want to log I use this: http://lamb.cc/calories-burned-calculator/ and try to find a similar MET value from this list : http://community.plu.edu/~chasega/met.html
  • emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Walking in place instead of sitting definitely burns more calories! I don't see how anyone would think it wouldn't. It's not going to give you the burn of jogging or anything, but it's definitely more than nothing. This site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/527048-how-to-calculate-burned-walking-in-place/ has a formula for calculating the calories. You can do the calculation, then add an exercise to the database and put your info in.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Thanks!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    If you get a fitbit or nike fuel band you can just include it in your ovall totals... I personally believe in not sitting at my desk for more than 45 minutes at a time... Good job getting in more activity in your day!
  • BodyMedia is amazing. Get one - it does all the work for you, and sync it w/ MFP.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Why does walking in place not burn calories? i get what @pannelikat means about short walking, but if I'm walking in place for 45 minutes, why doesn't that count at all (but other walking does)?

I never said it doesn't burn calories, I just said I personally (ME) would not log it. Especially if you are doing it for 45 minutes, you are burning calories. You can chew food, cook dinner, clean the house and burn calories...I choose not to log those activities. I Just don't have an answer as to how you would track how many calories burned doing that so I suggested just adding it to your exercise notes to keep track of your activities. I'm sure there are some type of devices out there that might give you an approximate burn count...I do not think a heart rate monitor will track a low impact activity such as that.
  • purple_power61
    purple_power61 Posts: 59 Member
    good idea... i think I'll start doing that at work instead of standing in one place
  • dionne88
    dionne88 Posts: 2
    You can get a fitbit and it does a lot of tracking for you and it syncs with mfp.
  • An HRM (heart rate monitor) would tell you calorie burn. I use my HRM for everything. Wouldn't do an activity without it.
  • phjorg
    because you're not walking. as in you're not moving your body. you're simply lifting your legs. which is far less impact. so it's not much more than what standing would be. and you would not log standing anyways. standing is 1 cal per min more than sitting. if you do feel the need to put something. but that really should not be counted as exercise, and instead as life. standing and sitting use the same energy system and is not cardio or exercise.
  • phjorg
    An HRM (heart rate monitor) would tell you calorie burn. I use my HRM for everything. Wouldn't do an activity without it.
    no it could not. HRM is ONLY accurate while doing steady state cardio. (which standing is not) anything else and your heartrate has no bearing on calorie burn.
  • jbardet
    jbardet Posts: 2 Member
    i know i'm late to the discussion here, but i use Pedometer app by Runtastic to log my steps. You just have to estimate the "stride length" to get your faux distance. I initially had it on like 2.6 feet but have now toned it down to 2.0 ft but i think that is overly conservative. depends how small your step height is when you walk i place.

I have a standing desk and i decided to start walking in place at a good "pace" and in 3 days of stepping almost nonstop at my desk, i logged 42 miles!!! my bloaty feeling was gone, pants fit better after just 3 days, and at the end of each day my legs DEFINITELY felt like i had gone on a good jog. So i now count this as "exercise" without any guilt.
  • mom2rpkp
    mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
    Congratulations on being creative in looking for workout solutions. Everyone is different, and, although some have acted as if this isn't exercise, if it gets your heart rate up and makes you breathe hard, it is. Anything is better than sitting! I use walking in place because the combination of my work schedule, having a 3-year old, and an injury that prevents running and most workout DVDs have made other solutions challenging. I'm still losing, so it's clearly working. I, too, was confused about how to log it. I researched and it took a LONG time. Finally found a seemingly reputable site (sorry, can't remember the exact site, but it was a university study) that gave a way to estimate. For every half-hour of moderate-intensity walking in place, you burn calories equal to your body weight. I learned once a long time ago a helpful way to define moderate-intensity: It makes you out of breath so it's hard to sing but you can talk. Good luck and keep moving - in place, forward, however you want!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    i have a heart rate monitor. I have personally found the calories in the database to be way off. Zumba for instance; the database has it at 500 something. I wear my HRM and it says I burn 800. Its all about the effort you put into something =)

So wear one and see what it says =P
  • Totally get it! I like doing the walking videos during these Arctic mornings when I can not go outside to walk around town. It does matter!
    I just did a Google search on "How many calories do you burn doing a walking DVD" and there are numerous results. Interestingly, near the top is a thread from My Fitness Pal. Check out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136007-how-many-calories-do-walk-away-the-pounds-dvd-by-leslie-sans
    There is a post within this thread that gets into some great details I think you are looking for.
    Hope this helps and happy stepping the pounds away! :wink: