Horses as motivation - Anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Riding is one of my goal NSV. I had a horse until I was 19 (15.2hh black gelding friesian cross) and then I had to give my baby up when I left for University. I have ridden maybe 5 times at the most in the last 18years. I miss riding so much and I can not wait to be able to do it again. The stables near me has an upper weight limit of 224lbs and I am currently 237lbs. I have told myself that as soon as I am 220lbs I am going to give them a call so I am hoping that this might be around June time.

Can't wait to get back in the saddle!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    That 10% number is horses....t. Arabians aren't usually big, but they are short backed and strong. My husband ( 240 lbs) did a lot of trail riding, though he did not compete ( I did), and his mare was a dark bay about 14.2, with a muscular body and perfect legs, who weighed not more than 900 lbs., and she carried him up and down hills and crossed rivers, was always ready and eager to head out on the trails, and we used to put up to 100 miles on her nearly every weekend. She's long dead now, but what a tough, willing, enjoyable little mare.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have 3 horses, I couldn't live without them. And yes, they were one of my main motivational factors to start losing weight. I have a gypsy vanner and a quarter horse, both can carry me, but it's easier for them as I'm getting lighter, plus I don't feel bad for getting on them anymore. (doesn't hurt that my show outfits look way better, too, hehe)
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have 3 horses, I couldn't live without them. And yes, they were one of my main motivational factors to start losing weight. I have a gypsy vanner and a quarter horse, both can carry me, but it's easier for them as I'm getting lighter, plus I don't feel bad for getting on them anymore. (doesn't hurt that my show outfits look way better, too, hehe)

I wish there was a like button for this :D. Do you show english or western?
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yep, my crocopony is a big motivation for me to get fitter and lighter. I'm not at an unreasonable weight for him, but the less effort he has to put into hefting my weight, the more he can put into rocking out performance wise :)
    Also, jodhpurs are frightfully unforgiving...
    springpony.jpg
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yep, my crocopony is a big motivation for me to get fitter and lighter. I'm not at an unreasonable weight for him, but the less effort he has to put into hefting my weight, the more he can put into rocking out performance wise :)
    Also, jodhpurs are frightfully unforgiving...
    springpony.jpg
    He is gorgeous :).