Downstairs neighbors

Options
Do any of you live upstairs and have downstairs neighbors who complain? I'm wanting to get back into some jillian micheal workouts but quite a bit of her stuff requires jumping around. Talking to my neighbor won't work.. we arn't exactly a match made in heaven.. lol. She's jobless so is home 99 percent of the time. Im just trying to be respectful and not make alot of noise but damn those jill dvds are fun. What would you do?

Replies

• endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to have an exercise bike that apparently shook the heck out of the downstairs apartment (I had no idea until she asked what the racket was). In that case, we were able to move the bike to a different spot and put down padding to keep the noise down. Is there maybe another room in the apartment you could work out in that is not directly over where she spends her time during the day?
  • Smile72
    Smile72 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Can you put something down on the floor that will muffle the sounds. like an exercise mat ?
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    you can also adapt the workout to reduce impact ( which is better on your joints)
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    All three suggestions are good and I will try them all. Thank you for your answers. :)
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't working out between the hours of say 10pm and 6am then she needs to get over it. Noise is part of apartment living and as long as you are doing it during a reasonable time of day she doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Who is she complaining to? Management or the police? If it's the police they are probably rolling thier eyes just as hard as you are and if it's management then maybe you could talk them into putting a DVD player on the TV in thier weight room. Sorry you have such a PIA neighbor.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my mom is a landlord and had to evict her tenants because of noise complaints (they had little kids running around and being kids, how dare they). She didn't want to but she was pressured by the Condo board, who had the last say. If you are getting noise complaints despite trying to avoid being too loud, tread carefully! (hee hee)
  • FiestyIrish
    Options
    Sounds like we have the same grumpy lady downstairs! She actually complained when I was putting my Christmas tree up and dropped the box of decorations. One thump and she had the courtesy officer knocking on our door at 4 pm. I agree about making adjustments so you don't jump. That's what I had to do and I still get my heart rate going.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You can usually make noise during the daytime hours. Exercise then. Hard to say honestly, cause state, city/county, federal, or simply another country laws might apply.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain on this one. My neighbors who live downstairs constantly complained about me exercising in the house until I just stopped altogether. Very unfair.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You can usually make noise during the daytime hours. Exercise then. Hard to say honestly, cause state, city/county, federal, or simply another country laws might apply.

Depends. There is a certain decibel amount (look up your state/county laws) that you can't go over even during the day. Decibels not just meaning noise, but vibrations as well.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Find out what your rights are...just because this neighbor has nothing to do all day doesn't mean you should have to be a couch potato to accommodate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Find out what your rights are...just because this neighbor has nothing to do all day doesn't mean you should have to be a couch potato to accommodate.

There are other exercises she could do that wouldn't create noise for the neighbor below. Just because the neighbor doesn't want to hear thumping above her, doesn't make her the bad guy. I know that some repetitive noises start giving me a headache - and it doesn't take much at times.
  • daimoslain
    Options
    Its the other way around at my block of flats, the people below us must be completely deaf with the load music they play at 9pm while me and my partner trying to sleep, glad I had a nap earlier in the day since i'm 9 weeks pregnant and starting to feel more tired. All we got from our landlore is a bit of paper to write the times when they play the music load, not actually going to our flats when we complain and not give them a warning or evicted them. Husband has be down to tell them to keep it down before took him 2 attempts to ring the bell or bang on the door, but he said he looked like he was on drugs and seriously underweight. Wouldn't be suprise the people in the smaller flat next to them are sick of hearing it through their kitchen wall.
  • JenCatwalk
    Options
    I agree she outta get over herself. Its 45 minutes tops and its Jillian, and she isn't even jumping the full 45 minutes. The neighbor is just feeling some kind of way because we brawled one time after I had to call the cops on her for throwing parties 1 in the morning when I had 2 jobs and needed sleep(Which I calmly tried explaining to her many many times before she got aggressive). So I have no doubt she would call the cops or make a complaint to the landlord. Even tho she keeps pitbulls in a pet free complex and does loads of herion. Sigh. Lol.

I will explain this to my landlord to see what she has to say about it, in case worse comes to worse at lest I spoke to the landlord. Of course Ill try not to make much noise anyway just outta respect.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You got at a lot of great answers here... and as a former "downstairs neighbor" I gotta say sometimes there are things you just gotta get over. If it's not 24/7 and there aren't other issues then she can get over it.

I mean, I'd be willing to give it an hour or two (daily) during any time that wasn't 12 am to 7am. But maybe I'm all kinds of wrong because I lived a year with so much worse than someone doing an exercise DVD above me...
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ask her to join u ...........?
  • JenCatwalk
    Options
    ask her to join u ...........?

That was a thought. Right now we don't get along. Mabie in the future.
  • JenCatwalk
    Options
    You got at a lot of great answers here... and as a former "downstairs neighbor" I gotta say sometimes there are things you just gotta get over. If it's not 24/7 and there aren't other issues then she can get over it.

I mean, I'd be willing to give it an hour or two (daily) during any time that wasn't 12 am to 7am. But maybe I'm all kinds of wrong because I lived a year with so much worse than someone doing an exercise DVD above me...

I wish you was my neighbor. Lmao.