Just joined here...already discouraged :(

Options

Replies

• valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    You lost 20% of your goal and a FULL INCH?? Good luck to you if that is discouraging.

This and this. Putting it into percentage puts a whole new spin on it! I have a year long platuea that I have finally started to beat...but I stuck with it and am reaping the rewards! Remember, the goal is not just to lose weight. It's to be healthier overall. So this means more energy, leaner muscle, the ability to get up and do things you weren't able to before. Try measuring success in ways other than pounds and inces if you're feeling discouraged. Keep it up!
  • Ok let me say thank you to all of you that gave positive words of encouragement! I truly do appreciate it. I know I'm thin. I've been thinner and I think this is where my issue lies. I remember how I felt about myself at a lower weight and even though it's a few lbs higher now, I feel differently about myself. A lot different in fact. Am I anorexic or bulimic? No. I never have been and wouldn't ever think of going that route. When I look in the mirror I don't see fat (except in some places like my stomach and thighs!) I just don't like the way I look. I'm not happy. And to those of you who responded rudely to me, it's uncalled for. Whether or not I have 5 or 500 lbs to lose, I came on here for encouragement and suggestions.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are right, you don't have a lot to lose, most people on her would envy you. stop with the process foods first. Are you a small, medium or large framed person? a small framed person should weight a 120-133. so more for a medium or large framed person. I'm sorry, but I thing you are doing fine and should leave this website for the people who really need assistants.

I could definitely use an assistant.

I'm sending you my CV, I have two years of experience as an Executive Assistant.

OP, start lifting, and I mean lifting HEAVY.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Ok let me say thank you to all of you that gave positive words of encouragement! I truly do appreciate it. I know I'm thin. I've been thinner and I think this is where my issue lies. I remember how I felt about myself at a lower weight and even though it's a few lbs higher now, I feel differently about myself. A lot different in fact. Am I anorexic or bulimic? No. I never have been and wouldn't ever think of going that route. When I look in the mirror I don't see fat (except in some places like my stomach and thighs!) I just don't like the way I look. I'm not happy. And to those of you who responded rudely to me, it's uncalled for. Whether or not I have 5 or 500 lbs to lose, I came on here for encouragement and suggestions.

seriously, forget about the number and start SMASHHHHHHHHHing..build the body you desire.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    SQUAT.

That's what I was thinking.... but I didn't want to be rude.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me. Do you know how many people here would die to only have 5 friggin lbs. to lose? Deal with it.
  • ninibmr
    ninibmr Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't give up your PB&J or chocolate bars, just make sure they add into your overall calories for the day. That way you don't feel so deprived and depressed. You'll lose more slowly, but you will lose! It's the amount of other things you cut down. Maybe only 1/3 c. of rice with dinner instead of 1/2, and 1/2 a pork chop instead a whole. Those kinds of choices make a big difference without feeling like you aren't eating the things you love. Eat the things you love, just carefully count them into your daily plan so you won't give up!!! You can do it!!!
  • alisonmaloney1
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me. Do you know how many people here would die to only have 5 friggin lbs. to lose? Deal with it.
    I don't think it's up to anyone else to judge what level of weight loss is important to someone .
    This site is here to motivate, not ridicule :huh:
  • ninibmr
    ninibmr Posts: 5
    Options
    I just have to say that I think it's funny that some people don't read their posts before posting. Bad spelling can make your post read completely different than you meant it...

And Crankstr, please don't give up!!! You should be the size YOU want to be, but don't do it by depriving yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • alisonmaloney1
    Options
    yes you did, and that's what you should expect from this site. The haters are in the wrong place!
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    You need to realize that having so little to lose means you have to lose it slower. Set MFP to half a pound per week. Eat back half of your exercise calories. Weigh your food using a food scale and log accurately. Look into a compound lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5. And be patient.

You're making great progress, don't give up so soon.

ETA: also I would recommend not cutting out everything you enjoy. I do an 80/20 approach. 80% of my diet is nutritious healthy food, and I leave myself 20% for treats.

This is great advice. I came on here with about 5lbs to lose and after reading msg boards I have went from 1200 cals per day to 1800 and gone from cardio to lifting weights. My advice ready the msg boards and also there is a link I'll go get and repost, it will be a great read for you. But lift and also don't cut out a few tasty treats!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself as several have said. I'd be more concerned about the long term health benefits you are deriving from eating properly and getting exercise. It will pay off in the long run.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    LIFT. Do some strength training and put on some muscle. Makes you leaner, stronger, burns calories and helps keep you from gaining it back!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I will agree with those that are suggesting weight training. It sounds like you're really more unhappy with your body composition than you are your actual weight. Consider it!

Also, here's another thing to think about in losing those last few pounds: The longer it takes you, the longer you've already been essentially successful at maintaining. Consider it "maintenance practice" :smile:.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are right, you don't have a lot to lose, most people on her would envy you. stop with the process foods first. Are you a small, medium or large framed person? a small framed person should weight a 120-133. so more for a medium or large framed person. I'm sorry, but I thing you are doing fine and should leave this website for the people who really need assistants.

Not to sound rude, but this is a fitness site. Not ONLY a weight loss site and tool. It's for people looking to lose, tone up, get healthy, get fit, etc. So she is in the right place.

And like others have said, be patient. The less you have to lose, the harder it is. And be happy, you lost an inch off your stomach. That shows right there you are making progress. :D

I know right. Don't tell her to leave, there are plenty of skinny-fat people on here trying to get toned and fill out without bulking on fat.

OP: you don't have a lot to lose. You lost an inch.. That's great progress for someone who needs to trim down slightly.

The battle of the bulge is won by eternal vigilance. Learn to eat for what kind of body you want, because as soon as you stop cutting and go back to your normal eating, the weight will regain.

Take it off slow because this should be a change for life, unless you're trying to just fit into a dress for a special occasion, in which case diet away.

Otherwise, learn to love your body for where it naturally weighs when you don't put effort into counting. It seems like that weight was perfectly healthy for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    SQUAT.
    That's what I was thinking.... but I didn't want to be rude.
    Squat, b*tch...would be rude.

Oh wait, no it wouldn't.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's kinda a ***** to lose the last 5lbs. Just keep doing what you are doing now, cause you did lose 1lb & inches. That's a great thing. Also someone mentioned squats...... hell yeah.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just have to say that I think it's funny that some people don't read their posts before posting. Bad spelling can make your post read completely different than you meant it...

And Crankstr, please don't give up!!! You should be the size YOU want to be, but don't do it by depriving yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mean to address this to Crankstr?
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    Okay, congratulations on that lost inch which would be a way bigger deal than that lost pound to me. An inch! That is amazing in only three weeks. At 127, you're in the ballpark of where you should be for your height and it sounds like your biggest concern is that you have some softer areas. Okay, so I can't speak from personal experience as I haven't been in the right weight range for my height in 10+ years, but I have a dear friend of mine who was in your shoes. She didn't have any weight that she "needed" to lose, but she was softer in some areas. In the last two years, she's taken up the lyra, silks, and trapeze to participate in our local hippie circus. (She is awesome at it.) She looks amazingly strong now despite being super tiny. Now, I'm not suggesting you take up circus arts unless you want to, but some of the things that she had to do to get into shape to do the lyra and silks could be applicable to your situation. She does a ton of body weight exercises (Google some lyra performances and you'll see why this is important) and a fair amount of lifting. She's the leader of my local band of hoopdancers so I can promise you that she definitely does cardio,as well. To me, it sounds like you're on the right track with with the boot camp and I wish you a ton of luck with your continued journey.