Best Free Weights Exercises?

Options
I want to add an extra weights session into my routine. I currently do mostly machines so I'd like to add some more free weight exercises in. What are the best 3-4 exercises to add in? I know squats are important, but what kind.....barbell across the shoulders, sumo squats? And lunges....again, what are the best kinds? Thanks for any opinions!

Replies

• magiccat32
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Basic back squat, deadlifts, pullups, bent over rows, bench press for starters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What is a back squat?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    a squat with a barbell on your back to add weight.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    jYKluy0.gif
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Basic back squat, deadlifts, pullups, bent over rows, bench press for starters.

IDEA Fitness member
    And press (push, BTN, OHP, any of them will do)
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So, for the last month I have been incorporating back squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press and planks into my weights routines. Sometimes I do them twice a week, sometimes once, but I have to thank you guys for your suggestions because I think they have really helped. I have even had a friend say to me how toned my legs are looking, especially my hamstrings, so obviously it has done some good!

I also have to thank anyone who suggested reading Stronglifts (either on this post or one of the other ones I made about weights). I had a read of the site and while I'm not following the program, I did take some advice from there about upping the weights. Previously I had thought that you really only upped the weights once you could consistently perform the right amount of sets/reps without fatiguing. However I read on there something about upping the weights every session. So I decided to try this....normally in my routine I do 3 sets of 10 reps, for whatever exercise I am doing. I decided that for every exercise I would up the weights on the last set. If I still managed 10 reps, then the next session I'd up the weights for every set, if not I would up the weights for the 2nd and 3rd set, and do as many as possible.

Basically, what it boils down to is that I find I am upping weights for most exercises at every session, and it seems to be doing some good.....I definitely feel stronger already and I think I'm toning up a bit...obviously others think so! I have no idea if what I am doing is the right way to go about things, but it seems to be working.....and I can't believe I used to just sit on the same weight for weeks! What a waste of all that time - ha ha!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    So, for the last month I have been incorporating back squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press and planks into my weights routines. Sometimes I do them twice a week, sometimes once, but I have to thank you guys for your suggestions because I think they have really helped. I have even had a friend say to me how toned my legs are looking, especially my hamstrings, so obviously it has done some good!

I also have to thank anyone who suggested reading Stronglifts (either on this post or one of the other ones I made about weights). I had a read of the site and while I'm not following the program, I did take some advice from there about upping the weights. Previously I had thought that you really only upped the weights once you could consistently perform the right amount of sets/reps without fatiguing. However I read on there something about upping the weights every session. So I decided to try this....normally in my routine I do 3 sets of 10 reps, for whatever exercise I am doing. I decided that for every exercise I would up the weights on the last set. If I still managed 10 reps, then the next session I'd up the weights for every set, if not I would up the weights for the 2nd and 3rd set, and do as many as possible.

Basically, what it boils down to is that I find I am upping weights for most exercises at every session, and it seems to be doing some good.....I definitely feel stronger already and I think I'm toning up a bit...obviously others think so! I have no idea if what I am doing is the right way to go about things, but it seems to be working.....and I can't believe I used to just sit on the same weight for weeks! What a waste of all that time - ha ha!
    Keep it up then! I've been doing it for 30 years now and it's kept me in phenomenal shape and fitness.

IDEA Fitness member