How do I make it stop....

mrsvezeau
mrsvezeau Posts: 30
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Since I have started on MFP all I can think about is food. I have reached my goal weight, but I literally think about when I can put the next morsel of food in my mouth. ALL the time...when i am at work it is worse, but also home. I look around the pantry, fridge and cupboards having a bite of this and a bite of that. I don't know how to make this obsession stop.
When will my day not revolve around when and what I can eat. I am nervous to gain some of the weight back . I have put my calories to maintain and with exercise I have plenty of calories to eat and I eat ALL of them and lately then some... How do I make this stop? What can I do to get my mind off food!

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Unfortunately I am struggling with these same issues since I reached my goal weight. Food is always on my mind and now I am always hungry and eating anything near me. I could be doing worse, I have SOME self control but still....it's pretty bad.

We need help! lol
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Try knitting :) Or Sudoku!
  • mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    I know, for me, if I can distract myself I can make it. Try getting a book, rent a season of a new tv show or find a cool blog to read. Get a new piece of work out equiptment. If u occupy ur brain with something else it might help. Also, try planning ur entire days meal in the morning. I find that if my minds set on what I'm eating I spend
    less time thinking of food.
  • Nettie40
    Nettie40 Posts: 3
    I have the same problem...but I'm nowhere near my weight loss goal. :( And I can't believe I'm saying this (because I always thought it sounded stupid), but drinking water helps for me. It keeps my mind off food, and I know it's good for me.
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    I'm sure you've already tried this but redirection works best for me - either keep water handy to drink when you feel tempted to snack or even Crystal Light (the 5 cal per serving kind) if you need something with a taste.

Also try keeping snacks handy that are low in calories - I try to keep fresh fruit or veggies already cut up and portioned out in serving sizes so all I have to do is grab a bag and munch! Then at least if you're eating you know you aren't going crazy calorie-wise!
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Thanks - those are great ideas...i should try to drink more water and I also think I need help! :) It is a weird thing...if i am sitting i need to be putting something in my mouth. I know I am not hungry...just want to eat.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    I have the same problem...but I'm nowhere near my weight loss goal. :( And I can't believe I'm saying this (because I always thought it sounded stupid), but drinking water helps for me. It keeps my mind off food, and I know it's good for me.

Water is the trick,alot of what they are feeling is being dehydrated,and then the water also makes you feel fuller.
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Have you tried just a stick of sugar free gum?
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Two thoughts on this:

1. Its a habit, to be broken. you're searching for food to nibble on just because your brains thinks it's about what you do that that time of day, iygwim. I've recently been struggling with this, and it's taken a couple of weeks of just actively NOT doing it, doing anything BUT, and now I don't find that need there so much

2. You may need to look at how you're eating your calories, and how they're spaced throughout your day. If I try to evenly space mine, I'm a monster come about 3pm... I'm just not hungry in the evenings, though... I eat probably half on a light day to 2/3 on a normal day of my calories before 1pm. A good lunch, keeps my mind off nibbling in the afternoon, and then I'm hungry enough to eat a modest dinner. Also what I eat - carbs keep me full, while too much protein makes me crave fatty salty things - which is the opposite of what people say protein should keep you fuller throughout the day.

Some things to think about, it may take some experimentation

Oh, also:

3. I allow myself a small serving of the things I otherwise blow-out on, to keep myself in check, it keeps my 'snack cycle' nice and steady.
    potato chips are one, I buy the packs of little kiddy bags, and have one every day or two - it means i have about 60g or so of chips in a week - but if I didn't take the edge off every day or so like that, I end up scoffing a whole bag 3x that size in an evening when I just can't take it any more.
  • tamaramtz
    tamaramtz Posts: 13
    I have the same problem. Distraction works sometimes, but I'm so orally fixated I HAVE to have something to gnaw on at all times. I keep a bunch of sugar free (xylitol) gum on hand and that helps a lot. Sometimes I wonder if I have some kind of nutrient deficiency causing this. I get this way when I'm in the latter months of pregnancy and one common thread running through all my pg's is anemia. I'm definitely not pg now, but anemia is a good possibility. I don't know. ??? Anyway, try gum.
This discussion has been closed.