Snacks to Get You Through The Day. (around 100 calories)

Options
I find that often times if I let myself get too hungry, I am prone to eventually snap and over-eat. Whether you are saving calories for a big dinner with your family or a party at the end of a day, or just need something to "hold you over" when you are hungry, but already close to your calorie goal for the day, these snacks are sure to do the trick! I like to call this "Mostly things I eat on toast"

(I know these are not ideal for some of you and the plans you are on, but these work for me.)

1. Feta Cheese on toast

Athenos - Reduced Fat Feta Cheese - 50 calories for 1 oz
Nature's own 100% whole wheat bread - 50 calories a slice

I just toast the bread and crumble the feta on top. You can dress it up with lettuce or veggies if you like.
total - 100 calories

2. Fat free beans on toast

Old El Paso Fat Free Refried beans - 1/4 a cup 47.5 calories
Nature's Own 100% whole wheat Bread - 50 calories a slice
Salsa - 5 calories

I just heat up the beans in the microwave, spread it over the toasted bread and top it with a TBS of salsa. This is by far the most filling of my snacks.
total - 102.5 calories

3. Popsicles

I use the Budget Saver Monster pops at Walmart, but most Popsicles are pretty low calorie if you just look at the nutrition label. This IS NOT GOOD for filling up, but it's better if you are really craving something sweet or something to chew on.

4. Tuna on toast

Canned Tuna in water - 1 serving , 50 calories
100% whole wheat nature's own bread - 1 slice 50 calories
Kraft Fat Free Mayo - 10 calories a serving
Mustard - 0-5 (Calories depending on brand)

I just mix the tuna with the mayo and mustard (If you don't like mustard in your tuna, don't put it in) and spread it over a piece of toast. I usually top it with lettuce

total - about 115 calories

5. Veggie Egg Rolls

I buy the ones from wal-mart that are in the Hot-Fried-Chicken/ fresh produce area of the store. They are 100 calories per egg roll. Quick and easy just to pop in the microwave or oven. I have seen other brands that are around the same calories, but be careful, some others are pretty high

total - about 100 calories

6. Cereal and Almond Milk

Fiber One Chocolate Cereal - 80 calories
Silk Original Unsweetened Almond Milk - 15 calories Per half cup
(Optional: sprinkle some splenda or stevia on the cereal if you want it sweeter)

You can use any cereal that you find that is low calorie, but I like the Fiber One because it is the lowest I have found and it is delicious. This helps me out when I both am hungry and craving something sweet.

Total -95 calories

I would love it if you all could share any things you have found. Like I said, these are not complete meals, and they most likely will not make you feel totally "full" but they work well for me to keep the hunger monster at bay and/or quell my sweet tooth.

Replies

• oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post. Being diabetic I am supposed to have several snacks a day and I was telling my wife today it is difficult to find snacks that does not put my dailey calorie intake too high. Besides fruit I have a hard time coming up with ideas, I will be watching this close for suggestions. One I thought of while reading your post is PB2 on wheat toast-95 calories. I will have to try the beans on toast.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I buy low fat cream cheese and get some fresh herbs in there with garlic. I take 2 tablespoon of the mix and spread it on celery sticks. It less than a 100 calories, 2tbsp are 80 calories, add your celery.

Another good idea is having some sandwich meat, lean one, like turkey breast for example and roll some strips of green pepper( or other color) in on slice of meat. Should be again around 100 calories if you use 4-5 slices of meat.

Hummus with mini pita pockets. I have 3 mini pitas with a tablespoon of hummus. Again in the 100 calories range.

Roasted edamames in the oven. Season then with sea salt, Parmesan or spices of your choice. For 2/3 of cups it runs around 150 calories depending on how you season it.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I guess apples are too simplistic?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Ricotta cheese and red or green peppers
    Soy nuts
  • isitsororo
    isitsororo Posts: 116
    Options

I struggle to think of a healthy snack less filling than an apple.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

I eat apples for my snacks.. also, a boiled egg with salt and pepper. Both are less than 100 calories.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Here are some of mine

a banana ~ 100
    an apple ~ 100
    dippin stix brand ready to go snacks (apples with caramel, carrots with hummus, ants on a log) 115 or less
    two cuties ~ 80
    whole wheat tortilla (mission carb balance) with pb2 ~ 115
    hard boiled egg ~ 70
    one egg omelette (no cheese, lots of chopped vegies) ~ 100
    healthy life whole wheat bread with pb2 one slice of bread is 35 and the pb 2 is 35 so 70-105 add sugar free jam for 10 more
    grapes 1 cup ~105
    1/2 can tuna with 2 tbsp salsa on healthy life ~ 110
    can of tuna on its own with salt and pepper ~ 100
    light string cheese ~ 50
    cottage cheese ~ 80
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Not at all! I just figured if I listed every fruit and veggie in the world on here the post would be too long. That and most people already know that fruits and veggies are a great low calorie snack. I was going for posting something that was not common knowledge.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like the refried beans and toast idea. I've been using tortillas but the toast sounds good, too!
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Didn't even manage to read past "feta cheese on toast" before immediately drooling at the mouth.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I have to try the tuna mixed with salsa!

I also make the reried beans on toast but i add a tablespoon of texmex cheese on it and meltit in the microwave! I eat it as breakfast.

This tread is a good idea! :smile: