So what's different for you this time?

Options
Ed98043
Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
If you're like me, you've tried to lose weight before. Maybe many times before. The last time I made a real effort to lose weight was in 2011...I cut back drastically on my eating, ate 800-1100 calories a day and was hungry from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep. Constant, gnawing hunger. I lost only 17 lbs in four months and gave up because it just wasn't worth all the suffering for a loss that seemed like a drop in the bucket. Basically, I burned out (and of course gained it all back, with interest). This time, I'm averaging 1400-1600 calories a day and have lost at a greater rate - 19 lbs in three months. By eating at a much more sustainable level, I'm not ravenous all the time and I can see keeping this up for the duration and beyond. Plus it appears that my body is more willing to let go of some fat when I eat more.

Secondly, I've adjusted my expectations to something much more realistic. I know it'll probably take well over a year to lose the 80 lbs that I want to lose. By not putting myself on a strict schedule ("must lose x-amount by x-date") I'm not crushed every time I step on the scale and see no change, and I don't freak out if it's a little bit up from the last time...as long as the scale is generally heading downward, I'm happy. Every time that number drops even a little, it's a victory. I've started appreciating each tree I've chopped down instead of just stressing about the size of the forest.

How about you? What are you doing (or how are you feeling) differently from when you've tried before? Why's it going to work this time?

Replies

• jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What's different for me? Growing up I was always active, thus no weight problem...this carried me into my mid-twenties (gained a few pounds then, but nothing worth working out for AND I took being active for granted)...then at the age of 29, I got a cancer diagnosis. That was almost 4 years ago. Being sick, adjusting to the medicine, getting depressed because I couldn't have children or finish school or even work all added up to me gaining weight. When I finally, got out of my daily pity-party I began to be grateful for my good days...the days where I could make it out of bed; the days where I could walk out in the beautiful sunshine. When I begin to get an "attitude of gratitude" I saw the world differently - good, clean drinking water became one of my most cherished blessings (crazy I know, but many, many people around the world don't get easy access to that kind of water). Bottom line: accept every day is not going to be perfect, but do what you can/when you can and the perfect days will happen more often. I know weight loss can be a long journey, but you can do it...

"A year from now, you will wish you started today." - Karen Lamb

My version of the quote: a year from now, you'll be glad you started today!! :smile:
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS struggled with my weight! When I was a teenager, I was the chunky kid...but the one thing that was on my side was that I was active...skateboarding, biking, softball, tennis...I always had something to do. So I never really worried about it! Right up until I was having my daughter, (14 years ago) and realized I had gained almost 80 lbs! I was devastated, and not being able to really diet...ate some more! Lots of diets since then, always resulting in a few pounds lost, a few more pounds gained! Whats different this time? First I am leaning on the one person that can truly help me, God! Second, I am looking for some weight loss obviously, but more importantly, better eating habits, and healthier lifestyle! I want to lose the weight, don't get me wrong. But for some reason, I have been at the same weight for several years now. Losing a few pounds here and there, but always coming back to the same weight, 224! I take some blood pressure meds, that I have taken for a long time, now...but do not want to have to take any more pills! And lastly, I want to teach my daughter who is already starting some bad habits of her own, that she doesn't have to be the kid that has to stop every 30 seconds, while running the mile! We have already started running(jogging slowly) together, and working out together!
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Though I ran a marathon in 2011 - I was so jacked up caffeine, and 5 hour energy (and knew when to eat my food so I'd be energized for my runs), I was not healthy and under nourished my body completely.

Started at 170 in January, I'm now 156. Started lifting heavy a few weeks ago, and have been seeing huge results in the short time I've been doing it. Also began eating 1500 calories a day to lose weight, and now stick with about 1800-2000. Life is definitely more enjoyable losing it slower, and remaining more active.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I realized that being HEALTHY was more important than losing weight. I have tried everything. From eating 1,000 calories a day, soup diets, low carb. All not very healthy, effective, but nothing that is sustainable in the long term.

I now learned about what it means to be healthy. Being able to eat the things I love, exercising, feeling and being healthy and the fact that I am losing weight in the process, is just an added advantage!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was always told "you will always have troble lossing weight" I look back at my childhood pic I wasn't fat. so after hearing to allmy childhood and teen years, yes by the time I was 20 I was fat

when I found out my mum was dying I wanted to show her I can be slim, which I did, sadly over time I got fatter and fatter. back in 2010 I needed to loss weight formy up and coming wedding which I did and my dress fitted, in fact it was slightly too big... :)

once again I got fatter and fatter

some weeks ago I was told my brother P was ill and in hosputal, I needed to see him, I was in shock when I saw him, the years had not been kind, drinking smoking and no eating had made my lovely brother in to a shaking ill old man :sad: while visiting another brother D arrive who's life style was worst that P's, both 7 years older than me.

It took me a good week to work thru this and relized in 7 year from now I could be in the same position, (even those our vices are diff the out come will be the same) I dont want to be a fat ill lady handly able to walk.

NOTE TO SELF: When I eat like crap, I feel like crap

"I workout, because I can. When I get tired, or I am short on time, or I want to quit...I think about how lucky I am to be healthy enough to workout daily. Be grateful for your health and your ability to become STRONGER. Don't ever take it for granted!"

any one can add me
  • lambchoplewis
    Options

NOTE TO SELF: When I eat like crap, I feel like crap

Love this!!! I agree that if I have a binge- I feel like crap for 3 or more days. Even though I get back to exercise and eating right - I don't like this feeling. I too was sick of hearing about all these 30-day cleanses, shakes, drinks, smoothies, expensive programs like Advocare. I decided to lose the weight for life. I have been maintaining for 9 months and love the feeling of fitting into my clothes. Every now and then I have to remember why I did this - I was pissed off and wanted to show everyone I could do it!! I don't want to ever hear "Oh, she is gaining all that weight back"!!
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No idea. I'm 23 now, so not that old, and I've already done weight watchers 3 times. The lowest I was at on my last weight watchers card I could find was exactly where I am now. I guess I'm exercising now, and that makes a massive difference - my attitude is different. I let myself eat food and then exercise later. I was never bothered with exercising on weight watchers, because 20 minutes of swimming was worth like 2 points - I didn't see the point, it just seemed so low. But now I see it as a necessity - I guess 30DS has "hardened" me up - I have strong stomach muscles and its easy for me to have quickly seen the effects of doing it!

So nothing is different - I'm still craving chocolate (and yes, I will be eating some) but now I'm eating it guilt free. I guess the exercise is different too!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm not abusing my body with minimal food and excessive excercise to look thin. I'm fuelling it with enough energy and burning it to streamline it in order to be healthy and be the best me I can.
  • skinnylady2014
    skinnylady2014 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Good topic because it makes one think of their WHY.

Something just clicked when a friend invited me to this site 2 weeks ago. Had been thinking of losing weight for a few months and had even visited a TOPS mtg once, which I successfully used 18 years ago. I knew I needed simplicity, accountability and support. Having a few health issues I wanted to improve plus just turning 59 plus wanting to lose the 20 lbs gained in the past year plus reassessing my life goals after a recent but needed engagement ending....all of this made me see I had to get back in control of my life and health.

Hope this encourages and inspires someone else!
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had an epiphany - nothing grand - just one of those "aha!" moments ....

Before I ate because I didnt want anything to get to me , I purged because I wanted to control my weight (and life) and I wanted to be bigger so that I wouldnt get hurt.

Now I eat to make myself stronger, I exercise to make myself happier, I nurture myself because I am worth the time and effort

Happy days :wink:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I realize that diets don't work. When I started this... whatever it is, lol, I was ready to do it forever. And I'm actually exercising now. And counting calories so I do it the healthy way (I still eat treats!). Big difference.
  • puffystuff
    Options
    If you're like me, you've tried to lose weight before. Maybe many times before. The last time I made a real effort to lose weight was in 2011...I cut back drastically on my eating, ate 800-1100 calories a day and was hungry from the time I woke up until the time I went to sleep. Constant, gnawing hunger. I lost only 17 lbs in four months and gave up because it just wasn't worth all the suffering for a loss that seemed like a drop in the bucket. Basically, I burned out (and of course gained it all back, with interest). This time, I'm averaging 1400-1600 calories a day and have lost at a greater rate - 19 lbs in three months. By eating at a much more sustainable level, I'm not ravenous all the time and I can see keeping this up for the duration and beyond. Plus it appears that my body is more willing to let go of some fat when I eat more.

Secondly, I've adjusted my expectations to something much more realistic. I know it'll probably take well over a year to lose the 80 lbs that I want to lose. By not putting myself on a strict schedule ("must lose x-amount by x-date") I'm not crushed every time I step on the scale and see no change, and I don't freak out if it's a little bit up from the last time...as long as the scale is generally heading downward, I'm happy. Every time that number drops even a little, it's a victory. I've started appreciating each tree I've chopped down instead of just stressing about the size of the forest.

How about you? What are you doing (or how are you feeling) differently from when you've tried before? Why's it going to work this time?

The difference for me is I see the need for the first time. I started gaining weight in my early twenties (now 31) and even though I knew I was gaining, people were commenting on my weight, and my doctor was furious the need never really registered to me. Sure, I tried (not really) to go on this and that diet...including MFP numerous times, but it never mattered that much. The kicker for me was a two weeks ago when my husband and I made our annual trip to Disney World (8 days) and I was almost physically unable to keep up. Everything hurt!!! Before the trip was even over I told my husband that there was no way that I could make the trip again in the state I am in, and since he's been telling me for a couple of years now that I need to take better care of myself he fully agreed. Of coarse I got the dreaded "I told you so". I too am taking a different approach of eating around 1500 calories a day and eating foods that are normal and fit my lifestyle. Watching portions is probably the biggest thing for me and incorporating physical activity. I'm not trying to lose it fast I just want to lose it. I don't care how long it takes and that's another big difference this time around. I no longer care to be "hot" just healthy.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I never really had excess flesh (though I had done a few bouts of psycho teen girl dieting) until I moved across the country and life was suddenly less comfortable. I never learned how to properly communicate my feelings and I've always been incredibly shy (though people seem strangely drawn to me in real life). I got into social situation I wasn't comfortable with, so I turned away from people and ate my feeling. I kept eating my feelings for a while after discovering a healthier bunch of people (so to speak).

Eventually, I whipped myself into shape and lose about 30 of the 50-ish pounds I gained, and I kept those off for a few years, but I never solved the real issue or reached my goal. I got into another seriously bad relationship, and ended up moving back across the country. Still shy, still no friends, but I actually set foot into a psychologist's office (about time after ended up in the psych ER last fall). And for some reason I can still sit at a sidewalk cafe and have most passersby smile or compliment me in some way or another. Why shouldn't I be able to take control of this body?

My life will never be normal or long or easy, but there's no reason why it can't be great.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In the past I have set myself up for failure by having very high expectations of loosing weight. This caused me to become depressed and to hate eating, which in turn contributed to my bad habits. I am a very emotional eater and have found that I rarely was conscious of what I was putting into my body.

I was hospitalized for pancreatitus 5 years ago and my dr told me that I was suppose to change my lifestyle. I "tried" to eat healthy but eventually it was just too much stress om me. I ended up in the emergency room on several occasions over the past 5 years with abdominal pain but no diagnosis as to why. It turns out that my pancreas has been inflaming this entire time and it is due to me not monitoring my diet.

After being recently hospitalized again I have finally taken things serious this time and am not going to let anything stop me. I even quit smoking to improve my health; living a healthy lifestyle is more important to me than being in pain all of the time. :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    After many "diets" and successful weightlossses,I always regained the weight. I alwyas went in qith a diet mentality. This time I determined before I started that this is going to be my new way of life/eating. I am actually making a plan to maintain and not go back to bad habits that got me fat to begin with.