Number on the scales

Options
So according to my scales I have managed to put on 3 pounds over 2 days even though I haven't eaten anything 'bad'. Does the number on the scales count every day? Also could this just be water weight? Whatever that is anyway...

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    So according to my scales I have managed to put on 3 pounds over 2 days even though I haven't eaten anything 'bad'. Does the number on the scales count every day? Also could this just be water weight? Whatever that is anyway...

Just don't weigh daily if you don't like to see the normal body fluctuations. If you sticking to a calorie deficit you will lose. Scales aren't always a good indicator of fat loss, it's more effective to measure yourself, take pictures etc. A scale can be very demotivating at times.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Just don't weigh daily if you don't like to see the normal body fluctuations. If you sticking to a calorie deficit you will lose. Scales aren't always a good indicator of fat loss, it's more effective to measure yourself, take pictures etc. A scale can be very demotivating at times.

I agree with what you said

"Do not be discouraged by who you are at present. Be motivated by who you WILL become in the future"

"One day I'll comfortably sit and look back at all the ups, and all the downs, and smile knowing that I achieved what I set out to. Blood, sweat & tears. It's all a part of the journey. "

any one can add me
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    a) Depends on your goals-
    b) Depends on what you count as 'bad' (related to a)
    c) Water weight is weight in the form of water, rather than lean tissue/fat.
    -Water weight can bounce around a lot, Typical things that impact water-weight
    -Carb levels
    -Salt levels
    -Water intake
    -temperature
    -Allergies

Daily weighing will make you more aware of how salt/carbs/food affect your waterweight, but daily fluctuations are not necessarily indicative of gaining(or losing) 'real' bodyweight.
    I would suggest that daily weighing is not a bad thing, as it helps reduce the impact of these daily fluctuations. Take your daily weigh-ins for the past 7 days or so, and average them. That should iron out the blips.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very overweight IMO the scale means almost nothing. As has already been stated the scale is very easily affected by a wide range of things. You want to pay far more worth to your body fat %, your measurements and your overall health.

Try to remember generally the only people who even see your scale weight are you and maybe your doctor or you PT. what everybody else sees are the actual physical changes to your body
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    This +/- lb weight change happens a lot!!! I weight every day - a very controversial thing as you MUST be able to handle a 2-3 lb weight change even if you keep to your plan. This is water weight etc. and will come off. It is NOT fat. I weigh every day to stop my self from shoving things into my mouth as I know I will have to face the scale in the morning. I look at the trend over time - not an absolute number as every scale reads different. I log this number, my food and exercise for day. I am always amazed at how calories add up so fast. This method works for me but you MUST be able to handle the swing in numbers.