Hot crispy bacon maple doughnut sandwich - very simple

Options
Vailara
Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
This wasn't my idea, originally. I got the idea of using a doughnut instead of bread from a Man v Food which was shown a few months ago. I think it was used for a burger in that programme, but I thought it would be delicious as a bacon sandwich. However, it needed a glazed doughnut, and we don't seem to have a lot of glazed doughnuts here in the UK. We do have yumyums, which are made from glazed, twisted doughnutty dough, but my son (who I needed to taste test and share the calories) didn't fancy those.

However, the other day, I noticed that my local Tesco was selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts, which were glazed! Obviously, I had no choice but to buy one to fry and fill with crispy bacon.

Hot crispy bacon maple doughnut sandwich

Ingredients:
1. One Krispy Kreme maple glazed ring doughnut (or glazed doughnut of your choice)
2. Four rashers good streaky bacon (you could use non-streaky bacon, but I love streaky for crispiness. You could also use less/thinner bacon. Please don't use turkey rashers unless you really want to).

Serves 2 for 228 calories each

Stick your bacon under a hot grill, and grill until crispy, turning half-way through.

While you're grilling the bacon, slice your doughnut in half right through the middle (so you have two rings). Then if you're serving two, slice it in half lengthways again (for four half-rings). Put the doughnut pieces with the CUT side down in a low-medium hot non-stick frying pan (you don't need any oil), until browning nicely on the bottom.

Stick your hot crispy bacon between the slices of doughnut so that the cut side is on the outside. You'll have a crisper outside to the sandwich and a melty, maple icing middle with crispy, salty bacon. Put two slices of bacon between a top and bottom quarter of a doughnut, and eat .... I mean serve. If serving one, you lucky, lucky people who can eat a large breakfast within your calorie allowance, not that I'm envious, take ALL the bacon and stick it between ALL the doughnut. And eat it all.

Total calories:
Doughnut 279 calories (adjust if you use some other doughnut)
Streaky bacon 177 calories (this was the particular bacon I used, but you could easily save some calories on this if you wanted to. But to be honest, if you make streaky bacon crispy, a lot of the fat runs out of it, so I'm not sure it even has as much calories as it does raw. But it tastes better than low-fat bacon, in my opinion).

Calories per serving: 228 (456 if you eat the whole thing).

Disclaimer: I have lots of healthy recipes that I cook from day to day. This isn't one of them. I don't usually base my eating on Man v Food. It's just a fun treat.