Pulled my hammies! What do I do?

Options
Hey all...I've been trying different types of activities recently to get out of the gym and into the nice weather and this monday I gardened for a while and then followed up my day with an hour of swimming. I swam in the deep end for nearly the whole time, treading water and using my legs, and I think that I've pulled my hamstrings from treading water so long. The backs of my thighs above my knee hurts and aches occasionaly when I move, and always when I sit or stand up unless I shift my weight accordingly.

What should I do to aleviate the pain and make sure that it heals?

I have to go to the gym tonight. Do I have to stay off of them, or can I still gently work out? Are there things I can do if I cant exercise my legs at all?

How long should I wait to make sure its better?

I'm sure someone out here at MFP has the info I need. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I doubt if you pulled them,sounds like you're just real sore,I pulled one of mine several months back,I was deadlifting 225 lbs. and my left hammy popped like a rubber band,it actually sounded off and other people in the gym heard it.It was an excrutiating pain and my hamstring litterally went numb.Anyway after a trip to the Dr. and a shot and some anti inflamatory medicine the only recuperation is to not use it for about 3 months.Again I doubt if you pulled it but I would just give it a week or 2 off and see how it feels,there lot's you can do including leg work even with a pulled hammy.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you should be exercising them until they heal. It sounds like normal soreness, but it takes a couple of days for your muscles to repair and get stronger. You could try ibuprofen to help reduce the pain and swelling.
  • tex43
    Options
    Hey all...I've been trying different types of activities recently to get out of the gym and into the nice weather and this monday I gardened for a while and then followed up my day with an hour of swimming. I swam in the deep end for nearly the whole time, treading water and using my legs, and I think that I've pulled my hamstrings from treading water so long. The backs of my thighs above my knee hurts and aches occasionaly when I move, and always when I sit or stand up unless I shift my weight accordingly.

What should I do to aleviate the pain and make sure that it heals?

I have to go to the gym tonight. Do I have to stay off of them, or can I still gently work out? Are there things I can do if I cant exercise my legs at all?

How long should I wait to make sure its better?

I'm sure someone out here at MFP has the info I need. Thanks in advance!

You can pretty much do anything except any type of straight legged dead lifting or leg curls.If it's your hammy and even if it's minimal damage you won't want to like bend over knees locked and pick weights up.Otherwise everything else is open,if something feels uncomfortable,move onto something else that doesn't.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well I read as much as I could find online and from what I could gather its a mild injury. Usualy when my muscles are sore from a workout they're not still this bad after 3 days.
  • tex43
    Options
    Well I read as much as I could find online and from what I could gather its a mild injury. Usualy when my muscles are sore from a workout they're not still this bad after 3 days.

Maybe so,I would just not do anything that feels uncomfortable in that area for a week or so,you'll know when it is recovered.