The midnight munchies.

Options
So, I've been messing up a bit lately. It's always at night when my cravings start to really hit. My sleeping schedule is really weird, I can't fall asleep until maybe 2 in the morning, then I sleep until 1pm. I'm working on getting it fixed, but until then, what can I do about my obnoxious cravings at night?

Replies

• emttori
    emttori Posts: 6
    Options
    I work night shift from 6p-6a. I eat ALL night long usually. Wish I had some advice to help it. But everytime I get up I am hungry, so I try try try to at least eat something on the healthy side if I am going to eat. Almonds are my friend at a time like that. A cheese stick. Or some fruit snacks to help with my sweet tooth, but not too many calories.

Good luck.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get 100 calorie kettle corn for snacking at night. I mean, you can munch and munch and munch and its light so your morning weigh in isn't ruined :) Also, its not high in protein so it's not going to keep you awake digesting it.
  • Christella
    Christella Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try eating 10 calories gelatin. Then you can eat several as much as you like.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i do better with protein, it nips it in the bud, like small pieces of chicken or shrimp. Or I pop a listerine strip or spray my mouth with breath spray. I know it sounds funny, but it does something to my cravings and nothing after that tastes good :)
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    I'd go with healthy snacks. Fruits and veggies (not much fun, but will curb the muchies). I had a great snack today that totally curbed my munchies and sweet tooth . . . an apple with almond butter . . . just be sure to limit the amount of almond butter. If you absolutely have to have junk (I have a REALLY hard time once a month . . .) then I reach for a bowl of coca crispies. Only 120 calories a serving of yummy chocolate! Be sure to use as nonfat or 1% in the cereal (you won't notice with the chocolate). Another one that a friend of mine does alot ( I will as soon as I am allowed dairy again . .. darn detox) is a low fat plain/vanilla yogurt with blueberries (or strawberries, or peaches, or . .. well you get the idea).

For me personally, I have to stay away from those 100 calorie snacks at the grocery store . . . I buy them, but end up eating the whole box, I just can't stop after one. I swear they are addictive . . .

Another tip is that with each snack, make sure to drink 8oz of water. That will help fill you up.

Good luck!
  • Christella
    Christella Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Almonds has alot of fat. They are good for you but read the label. 1oz or 24 nuts are 160 calories and 14g of fat. Be careful with the Almonds. Only eat 1 serving and try the 10 calories gelatin. And maybe more fruits.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Im a late sleeper and a late eater too. I try to eat less during the day so I dont go hungry in the evening.

They say cottage cheese (a couple of spoonfuls) is good to eat just before going to bed.

I would say if you dont sleep until 2am then dont stop eating at like 9pm because your blood sugar will dip too low and then you'll start craving high sugar foods. They say you should eat small every few hours so Id probably eat until around midnnight.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I will say it again, as told to me by doctor's and nutritionists who have made me a believer......a bowl of cheerios and skim milk will fill you up and keep you sleeping like a baby. Just enough sugar to keep your blood sugar at a good level.
    Enjoy!
  • hawaiibound
    hawaiibound Posts: 158
    Options
    Same way........my husband works away during the week and so I stay up super late everynight. Around 11pm I start getting snacky. I usually grab a handful of chips or maybe 1 bite of chocolate. But I have to stop myself. I workout during the day and when the snackiness comes I think to myself. "do i really wanna ruin everything I did today?" That usually does it for me.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    With the cookie and crackers 100 calorie packs, I WILL eat a whole box but one bag of the kettle corn i suggested is pretty big. It would take some determination to eat the entire box.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my late night snack is chocolate cheerios - one serving with skim milk is a pretty decent bowl of cereal and gives you something chocolatey and crunchy and not terrible for the calories - the same nutritional value as some other cheerios. Definitely helps me keep the cravings in check - lately I've been finding myself saving a few calories just for my late night snack!
  • miaangel345
    miaangel345 Posts: 54
    Options
    My late night snack is usually a bowl of honey nut cheerios or honey bunches of oats with skim milk of course! Sometimes an apple or 100 calorie bag of popcorn!