Starting insanity,benedict formula says take 3300 cals/day

Options
I calculated 3300 daily calories using the insanity benedict formula, i came up with 3300 cal a day while working out 6 days a week, I am 5foot-11, and weigh 224 pounds, this doesnt sound right, can anyone tell me the if this is the correct amount I should be eating for weight loss.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I calculated 3300 daily calories using the insanity benedict formula, i came up with 3300 cal a day while working out 6 days a week, I am 5foot-11, and weigh 224 pounds, this doesnt sound right, can anyone tell me the if this is the correct amount I should be eating for weight loss.

you'd probably want to eat about 500 cal less for weight loss. Your BMR is around 2100 cal, and your TDEE with insanity will be about 1000 calories higher at least, so in my book 3300 is about your TDEE. Subtract 20% or 500 cal, and that's what you should eat to lose weight.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Like PP said you need to subtract 500 for weight loss.

In my personal experience I have had to play around with the calories a bit on Insanity and what's working for me now is to use MFP's settings, add in my workout calories from my HRM and eat around 50% of them back. I didn't lose anything with Insanity's calculations when I tried them for 3 weeks.
  • insanehorseman
    Options

you'd probably want to eat about 500 cal less for weight loss. Your BMR is around 2100 cal, and your TDEE with insanity will be about 1000 calories higher at least, so in my book 3300 is about your TDEE. Subtract 20% or 500 cal, and that's what you should eat to lose weight.

Hi CoachReddy how much could i expect to lose each week if i was eating 2800 cals
  • insanehorseman
    Options
    Like PP said you need to subtract 500 for weight loss.

In my personal experience I have had to play around with the calories a bit on Insanity and what's working for me now is to use MFP's settings, add in my workout calories from my HRM and eat around 50% of them back. I didn't lose anything with Insanity's calculations when I tried them for 3 weeks.

Hi LittleMiddDov, can you tell me what MFP and HRM mean, thankyou
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hi CoachReddy how much could i expect to lose each week if i was eating 2800 cals

1lb per week.
  • insanehorseman
    Options

1lb per week.

I have seen a lot of people loseing around 14 pounds a month, what can I do to lose 3 1/2 pound a week, how much calories should i eat
  • insanehorseman
    Options
    MFP = MyFitnessPal
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor

Thanks.
  • LittleMissDover
    Options

1lb per week.

I have seen a lot of people loseing around 14 pounds a month, what can I do to lose 3 1/2 pound a week, how much calories should i eat

Eat the amount you've just been told, you need the energy for the workouts, you may or may not lose more or less than 1lb a week, from reading many people don't lose that much the first month (I didn't) and more in the second month. Go by the mirror and progress pictures with Insanity, do yourself a favour and don't get hung up on the scales.
  • insanehorseman
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, gotta go and do the fitness test tomorrow now, wish me luck
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, gotta go and do the fitness test tomorrow now, wish me luck

good luck!

just keep in mind that the whole "1 lb a week" or "2 pounds a week" is really BS. some weeks you may lose 5, some zero, some 10, some 2.

you can't base your success week to week. The Biggest Loser is not real life.

stick to it, eat around 2800 cal, and you'll lose weight. forget about the number for now.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose jack on the Harris-Benedict equation while on Insanity. I arrived with a similar read out, myself. I tried it that way for three weeks.

Then I did something radical.

I set myself up for a firm 2000 k/cals.

Guess what? Weight came off me flying.

Beware of that damn formula.

Oh, and follow the 40/20/40 macro, it works.
  • LittleMissDover
    Options
    I didn't lose jack on the Harris-Benedict equation while on Insanity. I arrived with a similar read out, myself. I tried it that way for three weeks.

Then I did something radical.

I set myself up for a firm 2000 k/cals.

Guess what? Weight came off me flying.

Beware of that damn formula.

Oh, and follow the 40/20/40 macro, it works.

Yeah I did the same, 3 weeks and maintained on their formula.
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Eat the amount you've just been told, you need the energy for the workouts, you may or may not lose more or less than 1lb a week, from reading many people don't lose that much the first month (I didn't) and more in the second month. Go by the mirror and progress pictures with Insanity, do yourself a favour and don't get hung up on the scales.

Amen to that! Everyone is different. Everyone does things differently. No body is the same. Do your best and you'll get results. A lot of people go into this with unrealistic goals just because someone else lost this or that. Make realistic goals and fuel your body accordingly. There's no reason why you shouldn't get the results you want in due time. Just don't rush it. Be patient with your body. Be good to your body and it'll be good to you. Good luck!