I discovered I eat 1200 calories in first half of day :(

Options

Replies

• FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I'm amazed how many replies came in just a short while! I've made my diary available. I didn't complete yesterday because I can't remember what I ate. And I'm not doing any exercise whatsoever, except walking to and from bus stop five days a week, which adds up to no more than 10 minutes in total.

Thank you jadeyq1 - I'll check out your link and will check all other suggestions as well.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    You know this is most likely a joke right?

What is, my post?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You had chicken nuggets, bread and a sugary juice.....of course you will be hungry, your blood sugar will drop through the floor after that...There is no substance in the food you eat - you need more protein, vegetables, and less refined carbs and sugars.... And 1200 is really not enough.....
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You know this is most likely a joke right?

yeah no. it's most likely not.

Sadly, I agree Coach.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    That was just today, check the rest of the week to see what I'm doing wrong!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the food diary for a week now, and I have not once been able to eat 1200 calories... I found I cover this just with breakfast and lunch alone! Come dinner time (around 6pm) I'm absolutely starving every day, so I can't just skip dinner...

I'm really sorry if this sounds whiney, but the food diary has had an opposite effect - instead of making me more motivated to make better food choices, is has massively brought me down, to the point where I just want to chuck the whole thing and say "screw this", and eat what I want... I can't go without dinner, and if I just eat less for breakfast and lunch I'm absolutely famished!

Whine over :( it's been only a week and I'm stuck.

Why don't you just make better decisions?

Like do you really need an entire baguette for breakfast? How about eating half and adding a banana? It saves you 100 calories and has more nutrients and fiber.

Avoid beverages with the word "drink" in it because it means its not real and/ or loaded with lots of refined sugar. Try 100% juices and stick with just 8 oz per serving (add water if you have to)

As a vegan I have this belief where every meal has to has at least one serving of fruit. I have to have one bowl of spinach a day ( I hate lettuce, too much water) and have at least two vegetables per meal after breakfast. By the end of the day I am full, have lots of fiber and in most cases am under my caloric goal.

You just have to think about nutrient density and how it will benefit your body.:

I.E. Would you eat the candy bar or the cup of Greek yogurt with real berries? Same calories but which one will keep you satiated?
  • jordanweaver323
    Options
    I suggest going to different sites and seeing how many calories you can comfortably eat a day and still lose. Personally, MFP put me at 1300. I felt horrible everyday, and it was hard to make choices, then, when I would go over, I'd want to quit. So, I checked some sites and realized I could eat probably 1400 a day and still lose. So I adjusted my settings, and I eat around that number. If I'm 100 over, I take a deep breath and remeber that this is a long term journey, not a sprint. If I'm 100 under, I relish the feeling of success. Just find what works for you and go for it. Just remeber not to stress.

If you need a friend for support you can add me.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You mostly eat high calorie, low nutrient foods which will leave you hungry and pretty much no vegetables or salad. Try porridge for breakfast for starters. A large salad with couscous and fish/meat for lunch. Low cal snacks such as popcorn (around 100 cals for a decent serving) etc.

The problem is the kinds of foods you're eating plus you most likely need to up your calorie allowance.

Looking at your diary I assume you're in the UK? Add me for ideas if you want.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to readjust your weight loss goals. Not everyone can suddenly drop to 1200 calories a day. Also, remember when you exercise, you should eat back those calories. For me, many days that is the difference between a short walk and a long walk! Also, I know the biggest advantages of MFP I've found are I've become so aware of portion sizes and what KIND of calories are in the foods I eat. If I can eat more food containing fewer trans fats and bad carbs as opposed to a cheeseburger, I'm generally going to go with the "more food" option. It's not easy to make the transition, but I hope you will stick with it. Not only is this a weight loss site, it helps people transition to a healthier lifestyle. It's really worth it!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    I checked that BMR thing and it said I could eat 1512 calories a day. Then it said to speed up weight loss I could eat 200 - 300 calories less - and that brings me back to 1200 recommended on this site...
  • jordanweaver323
    Options
    My suggestion is ONLY DRINK WATER! It will help cut out a lot of calories. Also, limit your bread intake. Try more fruits and vegetables. I know it's very hard to change the way you eat, I'm on my second week and decisions are starting to get easier, but can still be hard. Just try to make better decisions, one at a time. Try more nutrient rich food. A tablespoon of peanut butter will help you feel food, and fruits and veggies are low calorie options that will help you feel full too.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I checked that BMR thing and it said I could eat 1512 calories a day. Then it said to speed up weight loss I could eat 200 - 300 calories less - and that brings me back to 1200 recommended on this site...

Was 1512 your BRM? if so you shouldn't be eating below that.

Which BRM thing?
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat below BMR, You should eat below TDEE.
  • jordanweaver323
    Options
    Then up your calories until you feel it is a possible daily goal. You may not lose a pound a week, it may only be half a pound, but it will still help. Being more active will help this process speed up without you feeling hungry.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    1200 calories sounds way too low. MFP has me set at 1400 and then after some weight loss it was readjusted to 1340... I read a lot of the forums about increasing how much you eat, determining your TDEE and creating a 20-30% deficit depending on how much you need to lose. I decided I was going to try it and although I am still struggling to eat enough calories I'm eating way more then I was... and I'm finally losing weight!

I'd say increase your calories for sure!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    You mostly eat high calorie, low nutrient foods which will leave you hungry and pretty much no vegetables or salad. Try porridge for breakfast for starters. A large salad with couscous and fish/meat for lunch. Low cal snacks such as popcorn (around 100 cals for a decent serving) etc.

That's not quite right. I had a big salad for lunch or dinner every day except last Thursday and today.
  • 20kb13
    Options

this is what I was told as well....
    but first I was told not to eat below BMR, then I was told not to NET below BMR? Which is correct?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    OK I put your stats in this calculator http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ and got this

Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1452 calories.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1742
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1997
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2251
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2505
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2759

So even if you do no exercise you could eat 1500 and lose weight - all be it slowly.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

but first I was told not to eat below BMR, then I was told not to NET below BMR? Which is correct?

You shouldn't net below your BMR.
  • 20kb13
    Options

You shouldn't net below your BMR.

thanks.. that is the goal I have been aiming for!