Has white bread always been this gummy?

Options
janiebeth
janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
My 10-year old made me a sandwich today because I wasn't feeling good. After that much thoughtfulness (from an everyday princess), I didn't have the heart to tell her I'd prefer wheat.

Two bites and it just became glue - don't remember it being this yucky...

LOL- guess I have come a long way in that regard...

Now if only jelly beans would taste yucky.. :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    What a sweat pea that daughter of your's. :smooched:

I'm not a fan, nor have I ever been, of white bread. I was raised on wheat and when I'd get white at my grandparents, I specifically remember gripping about it. :laugh:
  • lizzie84
    lizzie84 Posts: 54
    Options
    Ahahaha! My hubby did that to me too! I can't imagine ever liking white bread ever again!!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Boy, I wish I had been raised on wheat bread..

Wonder bread and lots of mayo in my family - not to mention large bowls of ice cream..

I distinctly remember making balls out of my white bread and then eating them.. used to love it then - makes me gag to think of it now..
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem.... I love white bread and hate wheat :embarassed:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

Wonder bread and lots of mayo in my family - not to mention large bowls of ice cream..

I distinctly remember making balls out of my white bread and then eating them.. used to love it then - makes me gag to think of it now..

Oh, the ice cream was plenty in our house. The ONE good food habit my parents gave me was wheat bread. :laugh:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Oh, the ice cream was plenty in our house. The ONE good food habit my parents gave me was wheat bread. :laugh:

I feel really lucky to have been born during what my mom calls her "late hippy phase" ("late" b/c I was born in '79, a bit after most of the hippy movement). My cousins apparently used to complain whenever they had to stay with my mom because she fed them "weird" foods like "bread with seeds and nuts in it" and "peanut butter that you have to stir".

Granted, I always loved staying with my cousins because, MAN OH MAN! They had CHOCOLATE CEREAL! But the foods I was fed as a child really have shaped how I think about food these days -- or rather WHAT I think of as food. (Chocolate cereal ain't really "food" in my world!)

All of this to say, I've never really liked white bread except when toasted. I can deal with it toasted, but usually only when dripping with butter and coated cinnamon and sugar. YUM.