Recommend shoes..for walking,circuit training,and lifting :)

Options
Im going to be buying shoes in the next day or two..Im looking for recommendations :) Im walking,circuit training some,and about to start "the new rules of lifting for woman"....Can I get away with 1 pr of shoes for all those? Or do I need more than 1 pair? What brands etc do you use? Thanx in advance!

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do all your sports, and don't buy any sort of specific sport shoe.

The only sport I have specific sport shoes for is running, as I need to protect against the impact of road running. In the gym I use an Asics training shoe which works across all work outs including squash and some treadmill running. You can buy specific shoes for lifting, but they are not necessary (the only time I feel they would be of benefit for me is when I am squatting).
  • sarakfra
    sarakfra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm looking at crosstraining shoes as well. Right now I'm strongly leaning toward the ASICS Gel-Blur33. The New Balance 871 SP. I think the key is making sure you find the best shoe for versatility. I'd also say it's pretty crucial to actually go in and try them on rather than order online. :> Good luck!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Shoes are pretty personal so go try some of these on and see what works for you.

You can always use a pair of trainers for everything. It's fine for a while but it's not optimal. The problem is that the soft bottom isn't a stable enough platform for lifting.

For lifting though, try Chuck Taylor's, true lifting shoes (expensive), go barefoot, or wear a minimalist style such as Vibram 5 Fingers (not exactly the high style choice but they work).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'd say get those plain old Converse sneakers for lifting. You want something with a flat sole for balance.

15648-5-MULTIVIEW.jpg

They work okay for walking, though probably not if you need a lot of support/cushioning.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a pair of cross trainers. I like NewBalance, but Nike, Reebock, Puma, Adidas, and others make nice ones too.

For circuit training and lifting, you want a shoe that keep you solid side-to-side and has good arch support. If I wore the converse posted by the previous poster, my feet would be screaming.

You mileage will vary.
    I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.
    This post written on a closed course by a professional cynic. Do not attempt.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a pair of cross trainers. I like NewBalance, but Nike, Reebock, Puma, Adidas, and others make nice ones too.

For circuit training and lifting, you want a shoe that keep you solid side-to-side and has good arch support. If I wore the converse posted by the previous poster, my feet would be screaming.

You mileage will vary.
    I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.
    This post written on a closed course by a professional cynic. Do not attempt.

What exactly do you do during lifting that your feet require side-to-side stability and arch support? I am just curious.
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd say get those plain old Converse sneakers for lifting. You want something with a flat sole for balance.

http://www.zappos.com/images/z/1/5/6/15648-5-MULTIVIEW.jpg

They work okay for walking, though probably not if you need a lot of support/cushioning.

This. Or Adidas Sambas.

Personally, I go barefoot or use Vibram 5 Fingers.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite shoe at the moment is Skechers Go walk. I love them! They are super comfortable and the ones that just came out have memory foam in them.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A good running shoe will more than likely suffice, but training type shoes will do double duty if you don't log lots of miles running. Cross trainers are a well rounded shoe usually with extra support on the sides built in. Kind of like a jack of all trades shoe. Now, I log about 20 miles a week and have separate shoes for running and lifting. I'm currently using Reebok Realflex Run's as my gym shoe but only because I didn't like them for running after logging some mileage. Best thing is to try them on and find what's comfortable for you.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

15648-5-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Chuck Taylor's are very, very good for deadlifts and squats, highly recommended.

Also fine on the rowing machine and the elliptical, but not for walking long distances. I definitely wouldn't run in them.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For lifting I use Fivefingers (Jaya), Chucks, or barefeets. (I sometimes put on tall socks for deadlifts.)

I also like the Fivefingers for walking.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

15648-5-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Woo hoo! lol...Well I'll give it a try since I love Converse and have a couple pairs :)
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    looks like I'll have to go instore and try some on...since reading reviews,etc...saying some shoes run 1/2 size or so smaller...it is hard to find my size locally a lot of times though(sz 10 womens)...Im excited to finally get some good shoes :)
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought them yet, but I've heard that Newtons are the best for running; however, you can only buy them on line.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    the shoe that is right for you may not be the same shoe that is right for someone else....

go to a running store and have them measure your foot and fit your properly...

a good running store will have a treadmill that you walk on that measures how you walk...

as for needing more than one pair...its always better to have at least two pairs that you can rotate out each day so that they last longer...

when you exercise your foot sweats, and with that the shoe gets damp...the cushioning in the shoe needed to dry out before you wear it again so that it bounces back and gives you the most cushioning possible...

I personally have six pairs of shoes that I rotate out and all are in awesome shape since I usually wear each one day of the week...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Im going to be buying shoes in the next day or two..Im looking for recommendations :) Im walking,circuit training some,and about to start "the new rules of lifting for woman"....Can I get away with 1 pr of shoes for all those? Or do I need more than 1 pair? What brands etc do you use? Thanx in advance!

Cross trainers would be your best bet if you're going to do all of those activities.
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    looks like I'll have to go instore and try some on...since reading reviews,etc...saying some shoes run 1/2 size or so smaller...it is hard to find my size locally a lot of times though(sz 10 womens)...Im excited to finally get some good shoes :)
    :glasses: If you have a New Balance store in your town, they do stock the larger ladies sizes (my running shoes are 12AA). None of the other sports stores 'stock' larger sizes. If I want to 'try' another brand, I just order a few pair and try on/return (Zappos free returns).
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    back in the day, I use to lift wearing asics wrestling shoes..... I wear a flat bottom shoe like the converse now.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I swear by the New Balance Minimus line for all three, but go to a decent shoe store and be measured and fitted.