My best tip for keeping AVOCADOS from turning brown

ok, this may have been posted somewhere here, but im in shock how well this keeps my leftover avocado from turning brown. this method requires a fresh lemon or lemon juice from a plastic squeeze bottle, a paper towel, a ziplock baggie.

1. keep the pit in the leftover avocado.

2. take a paper towel and cover it with lemon juice.

3. place the folded paper towel in the plastic sealable baggie.

4. place your leftover avocado (with pit still in) into the baggie. i usually keep the skin part touching the lemon soaked paper, so my avocados do not taste like lemon.

5. remove as much air as possible before zipping up the bag, then refrigerate.

i cannot believe how well this works! just a tip i wanted to pass along for all of you avocado lovers.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I've heard of covering it with lemon juice but not that. Ill give it a go. Thanks.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    ive literally tried every method i found online, and the lemon was always the best tip. but then it just made my avocados TASTE like lemon which i hated. so i just stared around my kitchen thinking how can i make this work...then i looked at the paper towel and a lightbulb went off in my head! its CRAZY how well its worked...and without tasting the lemon!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Thanks for the tip - I like lemon juice so don't mind the taste - but it doesn't always work well. I'll defo try this next time.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i usually just keep it in a baggie, and scrape off the top layer of brown. the rest is still edible. but yeah lemon or lime juice works well, but i can't really have those so i just scrape off or eat the brown part lol
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    great tip--thanks!!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    one option... eat them before they turn brown.

:bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I've heard this works with apple slices too, or any fruit prone to browning from oxidization.

Add lime juice to guacamole for the same effect.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    They are safe to eat if they are a little brown, maybe a little bitter but it won't hurt you. If it's brown and stringy looking then it's rancid and you need to toss it. Love my avocados!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    My best tip is to just eat it all at once. :drinker:
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Thanks for the tip, the onl thing I've ever seen that worked before was coating the top with mayo. Not something I really want to do. I'll try this, this week. I eat a lot of avacados :)
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks for the tip!