Keeping it together...while in the land of temptation....

Alright, so I have been a member here for a while. I usually come back at about 135, but this time I am here at 143... I know that isn't huge, but I have a talent for nipping this in the bud while my biggest pants still fit.

Here is my problem. I live in the land of sin for four months every year, and boy do I sin. For some reason as soon as I leave comfy Canada and land in the Dominican Republic....

I light up a smoke as soon as I get off the plane (gotta love an airport you can smoke in)

I don't exercise, too hot. Unless you count snorkelling once a week. And lifting my glass of rum to my lips.

I drink, every day. In case you didn't know, rum there is pretty cheap. I don't even drink in Canada...

I eat a plethora of bad foods, fried chicken, rice and beans, greasy chinese food....and I wash it down with rum.

So I come back 20lbs heavier.

Every year I say I'm not gonna do it, every year I do it anyways. And not a single damn is given, until I get home. And then I start from the beginning again.

Anyone out there can relate, help, advise...I appreciate it. Go ahead and judge even, I'm not exactly proud.

Replies

• Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Ah man... I WISH I could relate. I'm stuck in England 12 months of the year!

I would say... accept that you will come back heavier. Just try and limit it. Get a cycle when you're out there, and go on a bike ride every week. Go swimming? Just get your heart rate up! Limit your fried foods, and have some healthier alternatives ready. Last time I was there, I was drinking rum by the coconut full, so I can't lecture you on that haha!

You must know what you should be doing cos you must do it 8 months of the year! Just try and remember those things when you get there!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Too bad DR has no fresh produce and the locals force all that fried chicken and rum on you. Sucks to be you.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Too bad DR has no fresh produce and the locals force all that fried chicken and rum on you. Sucks to be you.

Yes, the locals are the problem. I can't believe I didn't notice. They created a trap for me with their delicious rum and amazing fried chicken. I realize now that they have also hid all the fresh produce in an effort to keep me fat. Shame on the Dominican people. Shame on me for not noticing. Thank you.

p.s jealousy is a symptom of someone else living the life or attaining the goals you wish you could attain. There is two ways to deal with it, step up your own life and make your dreams come true, or let it eat you alive....your choice.
  • yoshna
    yoshna Posts: 69
    It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do (or rather, need to not do)!

What kind of exercise do you normally do at home? If you can't keep up the same things, perhaps try mixing it up a little - get yourself a yoga mat and do 15 minutes a few times a day...or get out and run/walk early in the morning when it's a bit cooler.

It's hard when delicious things are offered to you by people you don't like to say no to; but if you don't like the way you feel when you get back, you CAN change it! Write down how you feel about being 20lbs heavier at the end of those four months and read it every couple of days to remind yourself that what you're putting into your body does matter to you. Get more experimental with food...avoid the fried stuff and make finding healthier food a priority. If you struggle with declining food that people offer you, come up with a way of explaining it that you feel comfortable with and that is easy for others to accept; maybe even set yourself a goal, like entering a sporting event that takes place in Canada just after you get back, and explain that you need to keep in shape for it. When I go to stay with my family in Italy for a couple of months, I always enter a half marathon for just after I get back, then I can use it as motivation to eat and exercise well while I'm away - and when my family tell me off for saying no to food, I can just say 'I'm on a training plan'.

Good luck!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do (or rather, need to not do)!

What kind of exercise do you normally do at home? If you can't keep up the same things, perhaps try mixing it up a little - get yourself a yoga mat and do 15 minutes a few times a day...or get out and run/walk early in the morning when it's a bit cooler.

It's hard when delicious things are offered to you by people you don't like to say no to; but if you don't like the way you feel when you get back, you CAN change it! Write down how you feel about being 20lbs heavier at the end of those four months and read it every couple of days to remind yourself that what you're putting into your body does matter to you. Get more experimental with food...avoid the fried stuff and make finding healthier food a priority. If you struggle with declining food that people offer you, come up with a way of explaining it that you feel comfortable with and that is easy for others to accept; maybe even set yourself a goal, like entering a sporting event that takes place in Canada just after you get back, and explain that you need to keep in shape for it. When I go to stay with my family in Italy for a couple of months, I always enter a half marathon for just after I get back, then I can use it as motivation to eat and exercise well while I'm away - and when my family tell me off for saying no to food, I can just say 'I'm on a training plan'.

Good luck!

Oh wow, I love the idea of working toward a goal for a sporting event when I get back. That is such a great idea, especially since we come back in spring, and thats when the whole marathon, triathalon thing is just kicking into gear. Awesome idea! Thanks a bunch.