Lean bulking

Options
So ive been paleo for about 45 days now. Lost a lot of weight and im trying to do a lean bulk to minimize fat gains, yet put on muscle mass. I know some fat will be stored as I have to eat at a caloric surplus to bulk. I want to minimize this though. Currently, im 5'3" and weigh about 107 lbs. I lift heavy 4 days a week, do hiit 1-2 times a week for no longer than 25 minutes. I have my macros set to 40% carb, 30%protein, 30% fat. I eat anywhere from 1900-2000 calories. Next week will be my last week where im doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps. After that, I am increasing weight, then will be doing all my exercises 3 sets, 6-8 reps. My question is, should I increase my calories when I increase my weights? And are my macros percentages good, or should I be getting more fat, instead of carbs to gain muscle, lose fat? Any suggestions is appreciated!!!:)

Replies

• graemeeagleson
    Options
    I found this handy when i was bulking a few years ago like you am getting down first a few pounds to go then will pretty much follow this

10 WAYS TO GET HEAVY MUSCLE MASS
    for a built like professional bodybuilder

Take a moment to picture the sort of frame that most people who are into bodybuilding are looking for – wide shoulders that taper off into a trim waist, and below the waist, it grows large again courtesy of the quads. The look is completed by beefy forearms and calves. Sounds good, doesn’t it? If this is the sort of shape you’re interesting in having, the following tips can help you achieve what you desire.

1. You do want to count calories.
    When your goal is building mass in the right places, while keeping trim in others, calorie counting is crucial. If you eat too little you’ll begin to lose muscle, and if you eat too much you’ll grow in your waistline as well as in your shoulders. Determining the proper amount of calories to encourage development of lean muscle, and discourage excess weight where you want to stay ripped can be a bit tricky. For most men, your aim should be for between 16-20 calories per pound of body weight. To get started, go with 18 calories per pound which ends up being around 3200 calories per day for a 180lb guy, and keep an eye on how you’re progressing. If it seems that you’re not gaining as much muscle as you would like, but your abs are crazy-defined, then increase the calories to 20. Likewise, if you determine that 18 is adding too much bulk around your waist, then knock it back to 16.

2.Get in all your necessary protein.
    It’s necessary because it provides amino acids, and they are the literal building blocks of muscle. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein is less than half a gram per pound for a typical person. Research shows that more active individuals – athletes, those who work at strenuous jobs, for example – require double that amount, and for people who are especially interested in strength and muscle, such as bodybuilders, at least 1 gram of protein per pound, per day should be consumed.

3.It’s okay if you get the shakes.
    There are two specific times during the day that whole food proteins should be avoided – 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes after working out. The logic behind this particular tip is that whole food proteins take too long to digest to be beneficial in these important periods of muscle growth, and what your body needs instead are protein sources that digest quickly. Whey protein powder is a great option. It provides the amino acids needed to prevent muscle damage, and create energy for your workout, and also facilitates muscle growth after your workout. Try having a whey protein shake with 20 grams of protein before, and another shake with 40 grams of protein, after – both within the 30 minute window of time.

4.Be smart about carbs.
    It’s true that carbohydrates are essential when building mass, but consuming too many is counterproductive. You’ll want to play it safe with carbs, and the best way to do that is to keep them on the low side. You want to keep insulin levels stable so that you will be burning fat all during the day as well as building lean muscle, so focus on getting less than 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. 1.5 grams per pound is a good number for the 180 pound guy.

5.Slow and steady.
    When you select the type of carbs you’re going to consume, go for those which are low on the glycemic index as often as possible. Whole grain products, brown rice, etc. are good choices because they digest slowly, and this is also excellent for keeping insulin levels from spiking.

6.Post-workout carbs.
    Within the 30 minute window we discussed above, after you’ve finished a workout, forget the slow carbs and consume fast digesting carbs which are high on the glycemic index, as this is a time when creating an insulin spike is actually a good thing. The only time that having high insulin levels will work in your favor is directly after a high-intensity workout. Any other time a spike in insulin will slow your bodies ability to burn fat. Post-workout, the insulin increases muscle growth and moves the glucose from the high GI carbs into your muscles.

7.Forget the low-fat diet.
    It’s tempting to eat a very low-fat diet when you’re trying to keep your midsection tight, but ignore the temptation. Around 30% of your total daily calories should be provided by fat, and unlike the recommendations made for the more sedentary members of the population, about 5%-10% of your fat intake should be saturated fat. Studies show that diets which are high in both monounsaturated, and saturated fats tend to maintain levels of testosterone much better than low-fat diets. Keeping testosterone at optimal levels is very important to building muscle mass.

8.Many small meals.
    Are the bodybuilders friend. Eating throughout the day helps you stay lean and build muscle as it provides all of the necessary calories and also keeps your metabolism stoked and burning fat. Try to consume meals that are close to the same size every 2-3 hours. Include quality protein and those good low GI carbs in each meal, and aim for between 6 and a maximum of 8 meals per day.

9.Don’t forget a bedtime snack.
    When you’re sleeping, your body is fasting for 8 or however many hours you’re typically down each night. During this time amino acids are pulled from muscle fibers in order to fuel your brain. For a person who is working to increase muscle this is something to be avoided if possible – and that doesn’t mean you should get less sleep, it means that eating the proper foods right before bed is important. Again, the low GI carbs and healthy proteins are your best bets. These food choices will help to slow digestion and provide a steady supply of amino acids for fuel so your body won’t have to look to your muscle tissue to obtain them. Snacks such as cottage cheese or peanut butter are both ideal.
  • domorefitness
    Options
    No need to increase the calories when you add more weight it's good to be adding weight always keep your workings changing or youll adapt to it and theyll be less effective. Can't help you with macro percentages but id approve of them they seem solid to me your also eating specifically because your eating paleolithically. But ok to gain muscle and maintain/lose fat focus on when you eat, yes you are eating a lot of calories BUT you don't have to be eating a lot of calories in one meal. Split it up almost like going back to that nutrition tip of eat frequently. Only your not doing it for the metabolic kick your doing it to hit your calorie count/macros and avoid putting on the fat by eating too much in a single meal. Thats my suggestion :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    those are about the same percentages suggested by eat more to lose weight, if you haven't watched those yet,
    I suggest doing so, they go into detail about what to do, and even show an example of someone going through
    the lean bulk with results.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

1. You do want to count calories. Yes

2.Get in all your necessary protein. Yes

There are two specific times during the day that whole food proteins should be avoided – 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes after working out. No

4.Be smart about carbs.
    It’s true that carbohydrates are essential when building mass, but consuming too many is counterproductive. You’ll want to play it safe with carbs, and the best way to do that is to keep them on the low side. You want to keep insulin levels stable so that you will be burning fat all during the day as well as building lean muscle, so focus on getting less than 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. 1.5 grams per pound is a good number for the 180 pound guy. No

5.Slow and steady.
    When you select the type of carbs you’re going to consume, go for those which are low on the glycemic index as often as possible. Whole grain products, brown rice, etc. are good choices because they digest slowly, and this is also excellent for keeping insulin levels from spiking. No

6.Post-workout carbs.
    Within the 30 minute window we discussed above, after you’ve finished a workout, forget the slow carbs and consume fast digesting carbs which are high on the glycemic index, No

7.Forget the low-fat diet. Yes

8.Many small meals. No

9.Don’t forget a bedtime snack. No

So. Much. Broscience.
  • katy_trail
    Options

There are two specific times during the day that whole food proteins should be avoided – 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes after working out. No

4.Be smart about carbs.
    It’s true that carbohydrates are essential when building mass, but consuming too many is counterproductive. You’ll want to play it safe with carbs, and the best way to do that is to keep them on the low side. You want to keep insulin levels stable so that you will be burning fat all during the day as well as building lean muscle, so focus on getting less than 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. 1.5 grams per pound is a good number for the 180 pound guy. No

5.Slow and steady.
    When you select the type of carbs you’re going to consume, go for those which are low on the glycemic index as often as possible. Whole grain products, brown rice, etc. are good choices because they digest slowly, and this is also excellent for keeping insulin levels from spiking. No

6.Post-workout carbs.
    Within the 30 minute window we discussed above, after you’ve finished a workout, forget the slow carbs and consume fast digesting carbs which are high on the glycemic index, No

8.Many small meals. No

So. Much. Broscience.

yes, this is broscience. just keep it simple. the bulking plan really doesn't differ much from the cutting plan. it's about 300 calories over your maintenance. keep it simple.
  • Nikkimaxim
    Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I found this handy when i was bulking a few years ago like you am getting down first a few pounds to go then will pretty much follow this

10 WAYS TO GET HEAVY MUSCLE MASS
    for a built like professional bodybuilder

Take a moment to picture the sort of frame that most people who are into bodybuilding are looking for – wide shoulders that taper off into a trim waist, and below the waist, it grows large again courtesy of the quads. The look is completed by beefy forearms and calves. Sounds good, doesn’t it? If this is the sort of shape you’re interesting in having, the following tips can help you achieve what you desire.

1. You do want to count calories.
    When your goal is building mass in the right places, while keeping trim in others, calorie counting is crucial. If you eat too little you’ll begin to lose muscle, and if you eat too much you’ll grow in your waistline as well as in your shoulders. Determining the proper amount of calories to encourage development of lean muscle, and discourage excess weight where you want to stay ripped can be a bit tricky. For most men, your aim should be for between 16-20 calories per pound of body weight. To get started, go with 18 calories per pound which ends up being around 3200 calories per day for a 180lb guy, and keep an eye on how you’re progressing. If it seems that you’re not gaining as much muscle as you would like, but your abs are crazy-defined, then increase the calories to 20. Likewise, if you determine that 18 is adding too much bulk around your waist, then knock it back to 16.

2.Get in all your necessary protein.
    It’s necessary because it provides amino acids, and they are the literal building blocks of muscle. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) of protein is less than half a gram per pound for a typical person. Research shows that more active individuals – athletes, those who work at strenuous jobs, for example – require double that amount, and for people who are especially interested in strength and muscle, such as bodybuilders, at least 1 gram of protein per pound, per day should be consumed.

There are two specific times during the day that whole food proteins should be avoided – 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes after working out. The logic behind this particular tip is that whole food proteins take too long to digest to be beneficial in these important periods of muscle growth, and what your body needs instead are protein sources that digest quickly. Whey protein powder is a great option. It provides the amino acids needed to prevent muscle damage, and create energy for your workout, and also facilitates muscle growth after your workout. Try having a whey protein shake with 20 grams of protein before, and another shake with 40 grams of protein, after – both within the 30 minute window of time.

4.Be smart about carbs.
    It’s true that carbohydrates are essential when building mass, but consuming too many is counterproductive. You’ll want to play it safe with carbs, and the best way to do that is to keep them on the low side. You want to keep insulin levels stable so that you will be burning fat all during the day as well as building lean muscle, so focus on getting less than 2 grams of carbs per pound of body weight. 1.5 grams per pound is a good number for the 180 pound guy.

5.Slow and steady.
    When you select the type of carbs you’re going to consume, go for those which are low on the glycemic index as often as possible. Whole grain products, brown rice, etc. are good choices because they digest slowly, and this is also excellent for keeping insulin levels from spiking.

6.Post-workout carbs.
    Within the 30 minute window we discussed above, after you’ve finished a workout, forget the slow carbs and consume fast digesting carbs which are high on the glycemic index, as this is a time when creating an insulin spike is actually a good thing. The only time that having high insulin levels will work in your favor is directly after a high-intensity workout. Any other time a spike in insulin will slow your bodies ability to burn fat. Post-workout, the insulin increases muscle growth and moves the glucose from the high GI carbs into your muscles.

7.Forget the low-fat diet.
    It’s tempting to eat a very low-fat diet when you’re trying to keep your midsection tight, but ignore the temptation. Around 30% of your total daily calories should be provided by fat, and unlike the recommendations made for the more sedentary members of the population, about 5%-10% of your fat intake should be saturated fat. Studies show that diets which are high in both monounsaturated, and saturated fats tend to maintain levels of testosterone much better than low-fat diets. Keeping testosterone at optimal levels is very important to building muscle mass.

8.Many small meals.
    Are the bodybuilders friend. Eating throughout the day helps you stay lean and build muscle as it provides all of the necessary calories and also keeps your metabolism stoked and burning fat. Try to consume meals that are close to the same size every 2-3 hours. Include quality protein and those good low GI carbs in each meal, and aim for between 6 and a maximum of 8 meals per day.

9.Don’t forget a bedtime snack.
    When you’re sleeping, your body is fasting for 8 or however many hours you’re typically down each night. During this time amino acids are pulled from muscle fibers in order to fuel your brain. For a person who is working to increase muscle this is something to be avoided if possible – and that doesn’t mean you should get less sleep, it means that eating the proper foods right before bed is important. Again, the low GI carbs and healthy proteins are your best bets. These food choices will help to slow digestion and provide a steady supply of amino acids for fuel so your body won’t have to look to your muscle tissue to obtain them. Snacks such as cottage cheese or peanut butter are both ideal.

Sounds about what im doing now, getting 30% fat
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options

4.Be smart about carbs.

5.Slow and steady.

6.Post-workout carbs.

8.Many small meals. No

So. Much. Broscience.

So you disagree with all the ones you said no to?
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options
    I forgot to ask, what about rest and cardio only days? Should I only eat at maintenance or still at a surplus?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I eat more fat so my skin and hair look good. Rest days I lower the carbs and eat more fat.
  • graemeeagleson
    Options
    would be nice if you give your reasons.
    this all comes from a top bodybuilder. It is advice he gives free on a facebook page.
    Like any fitness/diet advise you take from it what suits your needs
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options
    Honestly, this girl I follow on instagram that just got her degree in nutrition and is bulking, recommended I do 40%carb, 30% protein, 30%fat. I was doing this before and gained 6 lbs in 4 months, but my stomach was gaining to lolo
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I forgot to ask, what about rest and cardio only days? Should I only eat at maintenance or still at a surplus?

cal goals are based on your TDEE, so you eat the same, rest days or not.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this girl I follow on instagram that just got her degree in nutrition and is bulking, recommended I do 40%carb, 30% protein, 30%fat. I was doing this before and gained 6 lbs in 4 months, but my stomach was gaining to lolo

that is awesome
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just eat a bit more...you don't need to complicate things with calorie cycling or anything like that. Just eat a bit more...eat clean and train dirty and all will be well.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    this all comes from a top bodybuilder. It is advice he gives free on a facebook page.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options
    Have any of you read this article before:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/get-big-not-fat-better-approach-build-muscle-bulk.html

I wonder how this would work
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    It's really pretty simple.

Lift weights primarily in the medium rep range (8-12 reps), though it's not a bad idea to have some of your work in the lower (4-6 rep) range and some high rep "pump" work to finish it off.

Moderate caloric surplus.

Get adequate protein and EFA's - filling the rest of your calorie allotment primarily with carbs. You can play with the ratios to suit your preferences, but a high fat bulk will not be optimal for partitioning.

Track your progress and adjust as needed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Like any fitness/diet advise you take from it what suits your needs
    Top bodybuilders juice too. Trust when I say that "enhancement" changes the game.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just eat a bit more...you don't need to complicate things with calorie cycling or anything like that. Just eat a bit more...eat clean and train dirty and all will be well.
    THIS. Muscle gain comes with some surplus, progressive overload and volume training. And you build more muscle resting (not training) so make sure you're getting enough rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options
    Sound good. Whats your opinion on calories? Eat maintenance on rest and cardio days, or always eat at a surplus?